Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Boosted ESCs going away in off-road too? >

Boosted ESCs going away in off-road too?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boosted ESCs going away in off-road too?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 10:24 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Boosted ESCs going away in off-road too?

per this wonderful thread:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...oost-dead.html

looks like boosted ESCs are going the way of the dinosaur in on-road for whatever reasons. Do you guys think that this will take hold in off-road as well?
Old 04-21-2011, 10:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Well I"m not going to read all 200+ posts on that thread, but the gist of it seems to be that nothing has been decided and I do know that most of us racing off road couldn't care less about what ROAR approves or doesn't.

I'd rather skip a race that is ROAR sanctioned than go buy new equipment to run it.

I'd like to see "stock" racing go the way of the dinosaur. It has NEVER worked and never ever fulfilled the reasoning behind having the class to begin with. It was designed to be a cost controlled class of racing and we all know how well that worked out...

Make all classes modified and run what you got. Battery cell limits for sure in most classes, but then run whatever motor and ESC you like.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Originally Posted by Buckyaga

looks like boosted ESCs are going the way of the dinosaur in on-road for whatever reasons. Do you guys think that this will take hold in off-road as well?
i can just say i want to race, not carry my dang laptop with me to a dirty, or dusty track.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Buckyaga

It already has in my area....No boost allowed in any class but mod.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

No boost in stock would be nice, it's hard for tracks to monitor it though and I guess that's why so many allow boost.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Never saw why there would be a need to have stock, stock with boost and modified? Guess that is why I like modified classes. I know it is pretty much a run what you brung class and good luck!
Old 04-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chiro972
Well I"m not going to read all 200+ posts on that thread, but the gist of it seems to be that nothing has been decided and I do know that most of us racing off road couldn't care less about what ROAR approves or doesn't.

I'd rather skip a race that is ROAR sanctioned than go buy new equipment to run it.

I'd like to see "stock" racing go the way of the dinosaur. It has NEVER worked and never ever fulfilled the reasoning behind having the class to begin with. It was designed to be a cost controlled class of racing and we all know how well that worked out...

Make all classes modified and run what you got. Battery cell limits for sure in most classes, but then run whatever motor and ESC you like.
I totally agree. Stock used to be for guys who couldn't make the full 4 minutes on their 1400s. Now I can't really figure it out. Like you said, its not cheaper... so what is it? To protect the noobs from themselves so they cant overmotor? Its not like most rtrs are stock compliant either.

As far as timing is concerned, I don't think it matters as much for off road. These days its easier to find an esc with timing than without, but most of them have a blinky mode too. I'd rather have a place that allows it since that doesn't exclude anyones setup and there isn't anything to tech to weed out the cheaters. If someone wants to spend a bunch of time and money making their car a little faster, then good, they deserve it.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:49 AM
Team Tekin

Maybe one size does not fit everyone. RC is very broad and the needs of some classes are completely different than the needs of others. Isn’t it nice to have choices and not try to cram everyone in the same box. Boost definitely has its place, it is just not the answer for all classes or all people.

Hard to deny the value of being able to run NT stock and a boosted class with the same equipment. At many races people are driving the same car in 2 classes… that has to be good for entries, participation and exposing people to different speeds to find the challenge level they need to stay interested. The worst thing we can do is make a set of very narrow rules due the unique problems in one segment of RC racing and try to apply that to all of RC racing.

Regardless of if you think boost killed racing or saved it, there is no downside to having the option.

Tekin Prez
Old 04-21-2011, 12:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

I look at it this way

Ask your self this:
When in the near future will I go to a ROAR sanctioned race that techs everything from weather or not my SCT has ribbed fronts or too wide tires or If I have my esc in blinky mode?
(note I'm only using SCT as an example due to the problems there too)

Myself, I don't see boost going away anytime soon, and I'm broke as to afford a ROAR race weekend so I just get what I can to run locally

I say, just ask you local track that you run at each weekend and see what they say where boost is allowed and be done with it
Old 04-21-2011, 12:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcman182006
I look at it this way

Ask your self this:
When in the near future will I go to a ROAR sanctioned race that techs everything from weather or not my SCT has ribbed fronts or too wide tires or If I have my esc in blinky mode?
It doesn't have to be a roar race to tech speedos...Most all the big races I have been to lately have not been roar races but did make sure your speedo had zero timing. (and also spec'd tires, weight, width, batteries and motors)
Old 04-21-2011, 12:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I love the good ole days when all I needed to worry about was if my motor was 27 turn or not!

Now, not only do I have to worry about my suspension setup, I also have to worry about if I have my esc setup right. Do I have the right amount of timing advance, do I have the right punch control, do I have the right throttle curve.

Shoot, I loved racing when my esc only had a nutural and current pot on the top I could adjust......
Old 04-21-2011, 12:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Derry
It doesn't have to be a roar race to tech speedos...Most all the big races I have been to lately have not been roar races but did make sure your speedo had zero timing. (and also spec'd tires, weight, width, batteries and motors)
Its interesting how the West Coast and East Coast vary so much

over here our biggest race here in Ohio, the Midwest Nats, didn't tech a single thing, ran boost in stock, In all honesty the only time I was ever teched was at my local track back when we ran Spec Slashes

I was merely using ROAR sanctioning as a generic reference, I'm well aware many bigger, non-sanctioned, races do tech, I wouldn't mind trying one out once but like I said I'm a broke racer on an unemployment budget so I don't see one in the near future

(btw this is all just MY OPINION, you can take or leave it, I don't really care, just putting in my half cents worth )
Old 04-21-2011, 01:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 157 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Timmahhh
I totally agree. Stock used to be for guys who couldn't make the full 4 minutes on their 1400s. Now I can't really figure it out. Like you said, its not cheaper... so what is it? To protect the noobs from themselves so they cant overmotor? Its not like most rtrs are stock compliant either.

As far as timing is concerned, I don't think it matters as much for off road. These days its easier to find an esc with timing than without, but most of them have a blinky mode too. I'd rather have a place that allows it since that doesn't exclude anyones setup and there isn't anything to tech to weed out the cheaters. If someone wants to spend a bunch of time and money making their car a little faster, then good, they deserve it.
Actually Timmahh, stock was never about people who couldn't make the full 4 minutes. It was about 27 turns on 6 cells versus less than 27 turns on 7 cells (some modified guys ran 6 cell but not the smart ones LOL). It was about having a class where the idea is "let all the cars be equal and it be based on the driver".

Granted that wasn't the case because if you go back to when I started racing stock, you had JRX2's, Graphite RC10's racing against a grasshopper (or I should say racing around a grasshopper) but still.

I think there shouldn't be boost in stock. Kind of defeats the purpose. For those who want the latest and greatest and peak out every aspect of your car, you should race mod. For those people who are looking for a level playing field etc race environment, that's what stock should be for.

You also can't say you'd have to buy all new equipment to run non-boost stock. Just turn off your boost.

Just my $0.02 which is pretty meaningless LOL.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:12 PM
Tech Master

IMO...stock classes should not allow timing, the point in stock class is every one having the same motor and the racing being about who is the better driver not who has the better equipment.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:16 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Ok, but what about a middle class between "stock" and Mod?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.