Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
my slash 4x4 race steup..what else should i get? >

my slash 4x4 race steup..what else should i get?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

my slash 4x4 race steup..what else should i get?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 08:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hydro 46
Get the STRC bellcrank assembly and a center diff if you don't have that already. Get rid of the "progressive" -ly crappy springs and go with a standard rate and run the suspension slopped out. It will handle much better after that.
what are my suspension choices that will be good for the slash 4x4?
Old 04-18-2011, 08:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I scrapped the progressive rate springs long ago, I run losi green or pinks front and reds or blues rear depending. Biggest difference was 7000wt oil in front diff, and some serious toe out. And center diff it.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:55 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer53
Easy...a new kit.
How original.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Ya know it's easy just to jump on what works for everyone else. As for me, I am gonna try to get the slash to perform aswell as the quicker sct's. I am thinking a lil more weight and 1/8 scale shocks.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:57 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hydro 46
Get the STRC bellcrank assembly and a center diff if you don't have that already. Get rid of the "progressive" -ly crappy springs and go with a standard rate and run the suspension slopped out. It will handle much better after that.
+1. This is a great start. If you've got the cash, you might consider the Pro-Line Power-stroke Shocks.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I'm new to the 4wd scene and have a PE slash I was practicing at a local indoor track kinda short and was right there on the rear or a ofna jammin for a long time till i messed up and hit a tube. He was running a tekin 4.5 and a rx8 esc.
I found that my slash did pretty good against it I'm running a stock velineon sure he was eating me on the straight but I found that where he was faster and had to break I didn't. So I really don't think these other "better" sct's are technically better than one another I think its all about driver control. Jmo though
Old 04-20-2011, 08:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mike_Shepard
I'm new to the 4wd scene and have a PE slash I was practicing at a local indoor track kinda short and was right there on the rear or a ofna jammin for a long time till i messed up and hit a tube. He was running a tekin 4.5 and a rx8 esc.
I found that my slash did pretty good against it I'm running a stock velineon sure he was eating me on the straight but I found that where he was faster and had to break I didn't. So I really don't think these other "better" sct's are technically better than one another I think its all about driver control. Jmo though
Yep, IMO if you gave a 4x4 Slash to a few of the top pro drivers its would win plenty of race's..
Old 04-20-2011, 10:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

look up steve slayden's setup on traxxas forum, it has been posted a few places, it tells you the right traxxas springs to run. I would run the traxxas big bore shocks if you don't have them, they are great and super smooth and durable. Also a center diff. Other than that maybe a kings head motor mount.

the truck is great it's no losi but I could finish on the same lap as my losi after 7 min, its light and quick. And the most durable truck I have ever had.

Also a steering servo upgrade would be great. also you can add a castle 1410 3800kv motor to the stock speedo and have a serious speed machine.

Enjoy your truck it has served me really well, I have handed many jammin's a loss with mine.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I just got into racing 4wd short course after running 2wd since they came out and I bought the slash after the losi came out. I love the truck and like even more driving something that people say wont work. I will admit it might take a little more work to get the set up right on it but it is still a capable truck in the right hands. If someone gets marshalled 7 times per lap or cant keep it off the roof, it is not gonna matter what they drive, it aint gonna win. Practice and drive it like ya stole it .
Old 04-20-2011, 02:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lenman73
I just got into racing 4wd short course after running 2wd since they came out and I bought the slash after the losi came out. I love the truck and like even more driving something that people say wont work. I will admit it might take a little more work to get the set up right on it but it is still a capable truck in the right hands. If someone gets marshalled 7 times per lap or cant keep it off the roof, it is not gonna matter what they drive, it aint gonna win. Practice and drive it like ya stole it .
You must have seen me run my Slash lol. I bought mine with the Slayton setup under it. Awsome truck alot of power and when i learn to ease off the throttle in the turns i elieve it will run just fine.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have been bouncing an idea around in my head since racing this past saturday. I did have a few traction rolling issues in the corner after the straight but even some losi's were doin it so I just tapered my driving around the problem areas.

But as far as the truck goes I am running the proline shocks and am thinking that by adding some limiters to the rear shocks, it will reduce the unloading of the rear to the front off power going into the corner. I dont think it needs that much droop. As soon as you got off throttle you could see the back off the truck go up and load the front but the back would be fine underpower and when I set the ride height. I am goin to try some limiters and see what happens. I remember going through this process with my onroad car as well.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cweaver19
hahaive heard many people say the slash 4x4 is uncompetetive,but what i would like to know is why is it so "uncompetetive"???
The main reason is the chassis, its not a flat pan, and the center of gravity is really high. Sure its fast, not too heavy, you can tune the suspension however you want, but that chassis just kills it.

I ran the slash for 4 months or so, was my first RC, and I LOVED it, its not a bad truck, and with a decent driver they can do very well. The constant traction rolling was very frusterating. I saw other guys whip around turns that I had to overbrake for (compared to them anyway).

Its really not that bad, and if you are beginning, its a great kit to learn on. I have a hyper now and the parts availbility at my LHS isn't anywhere near traxxas parts. Its also very simple to work on.

But to answer your OP, you need nothing, just race it. Its kinda both a Pro/con, but its probably as fast as it can be right now, all it needs now is a driver. Dont dump money into it thinking you'll get faster, just drive it, learn how to be smooth and when you want a performance increase, look at another kit. FYI, it seems the slash to the hyper is a pretty easy transition. All the wheels/tires work, same tools, etc.

GL..
Old 04-20-2011, 07:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lenman73
I have been bouncing an idea around in my head since racing this past saturday. I did have a few traction rolling issues in the corner after the straight but even some losi's were doin it so I just tapered my driving around the problem areas.

But as far as the truck goes I am running the proline shocks and am thinking that by adding some limiters to the rear shocks, it will reduce the unloading of the rear to the front off power going into the corner. I dont think it needs that much droop. As soon as you got off throttle you could see the back off the truck go up and load the front but the back would be fine underpower and when I set the ride height. I am goin to try some limiters and see what happens. I remember going through this process with my onroad car as well.
I added a couple of spacers inside my rear shocks and it helped quite a bit, I could drive it much more aggresive
Old 04-21-2011, 07:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

you can make your slash fast. its all in the setup and how you drive it. i know a few people here in socal that still run slashes from time to time and people wonder how and why it handles so well. proline powerstrokes suck! you have to get the spring kit in order to even feel a difference, 1/8 shocks are the way to go either losi 8's or d8's it feels much more planted and you can push it on a corner and not traction roll. put in a good servo and motor/esc setup and your good to go. play with the oils to see what suits your driving style and track. tires are a must, whatever the track get suited tires for it. the slash is still competitive and most people will bag on it. its yours not theirs so do your best and have fun with it.

just look up "hughes' track 4-3-11" on youtube, these are friends of mine from tekno and socal-rc.com
Old 04-21-2011, 08:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Get the Tekno axel kits for the front and rear,pitch the plastic sliders best thang you can do to this truck!!!!
One of the best guys I see that runs a Slash 4x4 added weight to the bottom of the chassis and duct tape over it !This guy can run what ever he wants and still chooses the Slash!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.