Wiki Posts
Search

No luck with Novak

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Tech Adept

Default Gearing

Originally Posted by SCTom
AE RC10fan, I ran a Havoc ESC and a 17.5 Ballistic in my SC10 with 30/75 gearing on a loose track. With no ESC timing you have to gear that 17.5 until your motor temps are 140-150 too go fast. Just watch your motor temps on high traction surfaces the motor will heat up fast at that gearing.
Tom
Tom, thanks for the heads up. My goal is a 7.5:1 final drive ratio.

75/26*2.6:1 = 7.5:1

A bigger pinion will make the motor work harder/run hotter, correct? I am starting from scratch with the Novak system so I will be watching my motor and ESC temps closely as I get the gearing worked out.

Sorry about the off topic question, thanks in advance.

Craig
Old 04-12-2011, 08:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Correct, bigger pinion gear more top end and acceleration. But only within exceptable motor temps. (160s for Novak). Once you figure out this gearing for brushless motors you might want too upgrade your esc for dynamic timing. Im running 17.5 in my SC10 now with boost/timing and it is as fast as a 10.5, too much fun.
Tom
Old 04-12-2011, 11:34 PM
Tech Rookie

My havoc pro SC caught fire today 3 laps into my 3rd practice session of the day. I had the power cap replaced with a new factory cap because of the bulletin so i dont think that was the coulprate
Old 04-12-2011, 11:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by SCTom
Correct, bigger pinion gear more top end and acceleration. But only within exceptable motor temps. (160s for Novak). Once you figure out this gearing for brushless motors you might want too upgrade your esc for dynamic timing. Im running 17.5 in my SC10 now with boost/timing and it is as fast as a 10.5, too much fun.
Tom
What timing advance and timing set point are you running and gear combo?
Old 04-13-2011, 05:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Im running Speed Passion ESCs now in my SCT and buggy now. My setup for SC is on the Speed Passion setup/support thread. I do have a couple of friends running Novak Kinetic Escs and are very happy with the performance.
Tom
Old 04-13-2011, 09:10 AM
Company Representative

For those wanting personal attention, [email protected], [email protected].

Or, you are invited to PM me directly if you need assistance.