Wiki Posts
Search

Losi SCTE Carbon Fiber Chassis Market Testing

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 08:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hydro 46
Racetek I like what you've done with the carbon fiber fabbing. My only question, why in the world am I not buying a carbon fiber chassis from you? LOL

Being that I'm still in the layout process I can say that it has been a trying experience to appease the masses. Thus far I've received a lot of great input and intend on incorporating as much as I can while still preserving the stock layout. 8ight had a great idea for the motor mount which is the next piece I'm working on.

I threw out the X-brace for the center diff on another forum to see if it's desired. This is the mock up for now. The forum won't let me post pics as of yet but you all know what to do.

http://i54.tinypic.com/20ggpr9.jpg

Should have the carbon fiber sheets tomorrow and will have them water jetted shortly thereafter.

whats the price of the x-brace going to be??
Old 04-19-2011, 08:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

for a $100 I'm game
Old 04-19-2011, 08:53 PM
Tech Regular

g'day ..
just wanna chime in a lil here , great thread its good to see people doing projects with CF .. now , my dad does carbon vac bagging to make race car parts and also he does carbon sheet from time to time (for making flat mounting brakets and so on ) and this sheet is wat i used to make a custom sc10 .

the way he makes the carbon sheet is to lay it all up on a big sheet of glass and vacuum bag it untill it sets. but --- the problem is that only one side has the nice looking carbon look (the glass side) the back is all ruff from the stuff u need on the back of it to draw out the extra resin from the carbon . the way ya get around this is to squash the carbon between to bits of glass , but that would mean mucking around getting the glass apart after its all set plus all the prep time with it all would be massive. using a mould where u can sandwich the carbon between a top and bottom is the best way but it mean alot more work on your behalf and will not come to $100 a part it would be much more.

the way i made my sc10 was very simple and easy .. i made 2 full sheets of carbon like my dad makes it ( one good side one ruff) then after they had set sanded the ruff side flat and then resined them both togther back to back . giving you a sexy carbon chassis both sides plus being extra strong . best of both worlds and very easy and simple. keeping your cost down is the key to selling any thing keep it simple good luck , im build'n a mugen mbx5r chassis as we speak doing the same way , should be done soon ...its all fun and games lol hahha

chris ..

Losi SCTE Carbon Fiber Chassis Market Testing-18062010508.jpg
Losi SCTE Carbon Fiber Chassis Market Testing-18062010500.jpg
Old 04-19-2011, 09:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

You should see what Ractek can build for his daughters middle school bridge building contest.

I was waiting on AE's SC 4w to come out but if your building Losi parts I am back in on the Losi for sure. This is a game changer for the Losi.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

mxfastguy35
My fan mounts for 1/10, 1/8 are typically $15 for the mount and $5 for the fan. The fans are 40mm 5v and are very capable of keeping things cool for sure. I am revising the fan mount for this vehicle to make it more compatible with the buggy version of this truck (body clearance)..

Cameron
I have been in the shop working on the Losi for a while now. Give me a call later and we can discuss.
Oh and the noodle bridge never broke. So the teacher left it on display in the classroom. Somebody stole it, broke the sides off of it, submitted it as their own, my daughter saw it, proved it was hers and that was that.. lol Even with no sides it still didn't break..
Old 04-20-2011, 06:58 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RACETEK
mxfastguy35
My fan mounts for 1/10, 1/8 are typically $15 for the mount and $5 for the fan. The fans are 40mm 5v and are very capable of keeping things cool for sure. I am revising the fan mount for this vehicle to make it more compatible with the buggy version of this truck (body clearance)..

Cameron
I have been in the shop working on the Losi for a while now. Give me a call later and we can discuss.
Oh and the noodle bridge never broke. So the teacher left it on display in the classroom. Somebody stole it, broke the sides off of it, submitted it as their own, my daughter saw it, proved it was hers and that was that.. lol Even with no sides it still didn't break..
How much is the battery mount? looks a little involved with the mounts and stuff but i def like that idea.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:29 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

sly6t,

Laminating 2 sheets together isn't a wise idea, Sure a 1/10 SC10 might be able to hack it but 1/8 size and weight, I think you'll be disappointed in how quickly it fails.

Ask me how i know.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:37 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mxfastguy35
How much is the battery mount? looks a little involved with the mounts and stuff but i def like that idea.
The mounting isnt really involved at all. All but one hole are stock on the chassis. The red pegs you see are just the stops that hold the battery in the position you set it to. The esc mount also has some key features that allow 'suspension' under the esc to help eliminate esc failure due to shock loads.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:40 AM
Tech Adept

The mounting isnt really involved at all. All but one hole are stock on the chassis. The red pegs you see are just the stops that hold the battery in the position you set it to. The esc mount also has some key features that allow 'suspension' under the esc to help eliminate esc failure due to shock loads.
so what does the battery and esc mount cost? i am interested in both of them and the fan mount. also what is the weight savings?
Old 04-20-2011, 07:43 AM
Tech Master

Not sure on cost yet. As with all the parts listed in this thread they are in the early stages so I have not sat down to work up production costs or anything yet. Just stay tuned. After speaking with Hydro for a while on the phone yesterday, the two of us may have several items available for the SCTE very, very soon.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:55 AM
Tech Adept

Not sure on cost yet. As with all the parts listed in this thread they are in the early stages so I have not sat down to work up production costs or anything yet. Just stay tuned. After speaking with Hydro for a while on the phone yesterday, the two of us may have several items available for the SCTE very, very soon.
cool, well i like what you guys have done so far! keep us up to date~
Old 04-20-2011, 09:36 AM
Tech Addict

Kewl. Keep us updated on this thread and I'll probably be in for everything you guys offer.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cameron Kellogg

I was waiting on AE's SC 4w to come out but if your building Losi parts I am back in on the Losi for sure. This is a game changer for the Losi.
Woah woah there, hang on a minute and don't do something crazy! We just need to get him to build some of these sweet carbon parts for the AE SC10 4 x 4 when it comes out, right?

Interesting thread, I like all the creative ideas flying around in here.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:05 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

whomever makes any carbon fiber parts for this truck right now will sell alot.. doesn't matter what it is.. thats because there is no losi parts available for this truck and i bet everyone has been itching to spend some money... i know i am.. BUY BUY BUY....... oh..wait..... nothing to buy...
Old 04-20-2011, 01:38 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Integra
sly6t,

Laminating 2 sheets together isn't a wise idea, Sure a 1/10 SC10 might be able to hack it but 1/8 size and weight, I think you'll be disappointed in how quickly it fails.

Ask me how i know.
ok how ya know lol ...

well we are gunna give it a try for the 1/8 , remember with 1/8 you have a top plate as well to keep it all alil stiffer the sc10 does not . im actually even using thinner carbon for 1/8 but using a carbon/kevlar mix , ... on the sheet one side is black (carbon) and the back is yellow and black(kevlar) .. its not stronger per say but just alot tuffer . its a pain to cut out , its tuff as and goes fluffy on the edges .. i think being the 1/8 has a top plate and pluss front and rear brace's it should be ok , lol fingers crossed but if it breaks il let ya know and make a thiker one.

Last edited by sly6t; 04-20-2011 at 03:14 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.