Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
 Should racers be required to move out of stock at a certain level? >

Should racers be required to move out of stock at a certain level?

Old 09-11-2004, 10:01 PM
TSB
Tech Master

Default Should racers be required to move out of stock at a certain level?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a well known question... what is the answer?

WHAT SHOULD THE TRACK OWNERS, CLUB PRESIDENTS, and SERIES DIRECTORS do about this?

Should the electric tour require that the champions in stock move up or should we respect the amount of time and attention to detail it takes to make a stock vehicle faster than another guys?
Old 09-11-2004, 10:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If the class is Stock then they have no right not allowing someone to enter. If the class name is Novice, that is a totally different story.
Old 09-11-2004, 11:06 PM
Tech Addict

A better question may be; If a track offers a "Stock" class, "Intermediate Stock", and "Expert Stock" class, should the driver be required to move up? As far as being required to move up to Modified class, NO WAY! At our local track more than half the Mod field is one to two laps slower than the fast stock class (in truck anyway).
Old 09-11-2004, 11:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Well Brian,

I know you are fully qualified to run mod. I think if one guy is by far the dominant "cant catch him" stock guy, then he should be moved up to mod to level the playing field. EX. Matt Francis running stock truck.....especially at the club level, he would be untouchable. so....move him up to mod.

However, if you're running mod and fully stinkin' up the place, then you should have the option of running stock and mod.

Brian, what classes are you running for the off-road series?

-Chris Woods.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:02 AM
TSB
Tech Master

I am not racing it... I am anoucning the races at A Main and FOur Seasons... I am going to race the ones at TRCR though... two mod, truck mod

I can't wait for it... Is there a good buzz around Your parts about the series?
Old 09-12-2004, 10:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Stock is not a "sportsman" or "novice" class IMO. Its a way for experienced racers to have a controlled way of close racing, to prove setup skill and driving skill. If you take away the ability for a seasoned racer to race stock, you'll have alot of unhappy racers...

Plus, how would you justify races like stock nationals? Have a bunch of sportsman racers battle for a national title? I don't think so...
Old 09-13-2004, 01:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

IMO the only time someone should be forced to run mod, assuming there is both stock/mod in the same class, is if they carry sponsorship.

my experience has been this... lets say sponsored guy 'A', is running a OK stock motor and some 1.165 batteries. if he is out there blowing the pants off of everyone, there will be at least a few people whose perception is that the guy is winning because of his 'special' sponsored equipment. this, in most cases, is not why person 'A' is winning, but that is completely irrelevant to the feelings of the people getting wiped.

whenever someone loses, the first thing they look to is why they lost. blaming it on someone else having better equipment is an easy target. this innevitably leads to the whole 'spend money to win' scenario which drives people away.

the flip side of this topic is kind of ironic though... alot of your b-team and small market sponsored guys run stock simply because they can't hang in mod. they would rather be an a-main stock contender against a few other b-teamers, then a d-mainer in the mod class with the big guns.

last comment: it's not about the one racer being allowed/forced to run a class. it's about how/what that person runs impacts rest of the racers in said class.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:00 AM
Tech Adept

so long as the number of entries support it, it should be:
novice stock, intermediate stock, sportsman stock and expert stock. there would be a class for all skill levels. so with that, even the best drivers can still and should race stock.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by islandRC
so long as the number of entries support it, it should be:
novice stock, intermediate stock, sportsman stock and expert stock. there would be a class for all skill levels. so with that, even the best drivers can still and should race stock.
does your track support 40 stock drivers? Mine does not. Stock should be open to anybody wanting to run it. Most of the fast guys don't want to go slow anyways.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:52 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chevmaro
does your track support 40 stock drivers? Mine does not. Stock should be open to anybody wanting to run it. Most of the fast guys don't want to go slow anyways.
Wow, this thread would have been 2 years dead back when I joined the forum in 06.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Oh haha I don't know how in the world I came acrossed it. My bad lol.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

If they have 2wd stock and mod only,my opinion is if your a chassis sponsored driver you have no business in stock,down here they been running expert stock which is 13.5 compared to sportsman stock that is 17.5 and no chassis sponsored drivers period.stock class is super competive and the top 10 in the Amain are normally separated by less the 1 sec
Old 07-21-2013, 05:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

No Way, Stock is another class. It is not based on driver skill, it is just another class. It is offered at tracks because it has the ability to make drivers race with skill and setup not speed and power. In no way does racing stock or mod qualify a driver differently. And having a sponsor and racing stock should not make a difference.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:31 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chevmaro
Old 07-21-2013, 05:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

In a lot of ways, stock racing is more money. Always wanting/needing that fresh motor and fresh packs to get the extra couple on tents that you can. In mod, I have stuff that lasts me way longer. I have gone a couple of seasons on mod motors, not a couple of months with stock. Ties last longer and crashes don't hurt as much in stock, although I've never found it to be a huge difference.

Stock is a harder class to stay consistent in, mod is a harder class to run.
Should there be some kind of graduated classes? I do believe there should be. But it has to start at a club level.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.