Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Cactus Classic and other big events. Have they lost sight of whats important??? >

Cactus Classic and other big events. Have they lost sight of whats important???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cactus Classic and other big events. Have they lost sight of whats important???

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 06:48 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Cactus Classic and other big events. Have they lost sight of whats important???

Just finished up a weekend in beautiful Scottsdale AZ with high temps of around 80 degrees, cool breezes and sunshine. SRS the local, providing a high bite blue groove track and 450+ racers. All the pros you can ask for and a huge variety of your average weekend electric racers. Fun time with the family and away from WORK!!
The reason I started this thread is that although I had such a great time there at SRS, I couldnt help dwelling on my 6 hour drive back to so cal, that I had some what of a bad taste left in me. Now, ive been racing rc cars for about 19 years now and have attended the prestigious Cactus Classic about 10 of those years. I have a bit of history with the race\SRS and so does my entire rc racing family. So, while im driving home with a 10th place overall finish in stock truck (pardon the gloating), Im reminded of the good ol days back when I had a fresh set of 1400mah nicads to run all weekend and a brand new Slot Machine motor. Although I was in my preteens when anything and everything either amused or excited me, I remember driving home from this same race and already reeling at the excitment of next year when we go back. Why do I revert back to these memories you ask, well heres the thing, back then the racing and everything that went with it was why we went to the Cactus Classic, now the name and tradition brought us there. The past few years there isnt any Concours events, there isnt any raffles, there isnt any practice time on the track a week before. Back then you can run what you brung, you can have a less than top of the line speedo, you dont get compared to paint drying by the monotone annoucer for your qualifying event (prick, sorry were not doing backflips on the drivers stand), your bordem is considered by the host, not prolonged with 15 hour days.
My point is that this race may be to far generated for the top tier of drivers (sponsered\factory). Has the average weekenders feelings been set aside for what seems like another agenda. Not everyone who enters these types of races expects to make top 3 A-main, let alone the high hopes of the C-main. The agenda I may or may not be refering to is the $ coming in. Go back to the amount of drivers, 350 drivers has been a long time max on the event, back in the day (minus inflation) the entry fee for two classes might have been 50 bucks! Also even if you scored a righteous 3rd place in the "K" main you still got a trophy or plaque, all the way up to the A -main. Now I dont see any trophies, no plaques, no concours, no raffles, all pros, 450+ drivers, one shi**er, 15 hour days, and a "you guys arent pros, so who cares, me me me announcer"!!!
So let me catch my breath. Im might be alone on this but, hopefully theres a few old timers that feel my aingst and want to express, that they love the EXPIRENCE more than anything, its just that these past few years has been more of "dealing with it".
So before you think to yourself "well dumbass, if you dont like it, dont go", to late, I probably wont, unless I get an email saying, "we fixed the glitch, youre gonna feel appreciated and your $110 is gonna get you SOMETHING" otherwise I highly doubt it.
Maybe even if that $20,000+ in entry fees could afford me a 2" trophy saying 2wd Stock 10th place, or even a post it saying "thanks, better luck next year" I wouldnt have vented so much.

Peace....
Old 03-24-2011, 06:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Thats wayyy to much to read sorry..... maybe ill try to read it later. A.D.D just kicked in full force
Old 03-24-2011, 07:06 PM
Tech Regular

you know what's important...

paragraphs
Old 03-24-2011, 07:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

While I haven't been to any big RC races, that would grind my gears as well. I do attend IRCHA (an 800+ pilot rc heli event) every year, and it's all about the participants, the moment they lost sight of that I'd probably feel very similar to the way you do now. If you're going to make the trip, and pay the entry fee, you'd think they'd make it comfortable, and fun for the little guy.

Without the average racer (and his/her $$$), these companies, races, and drivers don't exist.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I think I understand your point. I think you are saying that the 'family feel' you once had towards the Cactus Classic has diminished over the years. Maybe you are right. Maybe hobby shops are forced to charge more and attract big money to stay in business b/c revenue from kits and parts has shifted away from the shop towards the internet. And big races like CC is the way to do it. I just don't know.

I have only recently started spending time at SRS and everyone I have interacted with has been very pleasant. But I do not have the experience you have had over the past decade so I don't have much to compare it to. Thanks for sharing though it never hurts to hear a more experienced perspective.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Right on Bro!!!!!!!!
Old 03-24-2011, 07:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Welcome to 2011... Business first, fun second.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:21 PM
Tech Champion

I tried to read it again and I just cant do it can someone just tell me what it says in short.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:25 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CORRRCR
I tried to read it again and I just cant do it can someone just tell me what it says in short.
He's crying because the slow guys in the low mains didnt get a trophy...
Old 03-24-2011, 07:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 204 (100%+)

I have felt that way for many years, it is good to see someone else take notice of this kind of things, as that is why I quit going to the big races, it is cool to see all the factory drivers and watch them race, but when you do not stand a chance in heck, why even go, so are the big races for the pro's and manufactures to win.........................
Old 03-24-2011, 07:29 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by PFKAOG
He's crying because the slow guys in the low mains didnt get a trophy...
Thank you sooooo much!! Its frickin killing me.
My 6 yr old daughter didnt get a lollypop from the bank teller and she didnt cry.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:36 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by HARDOCOR RACING
Just finished up a weekend in beautiful Scottsdale AZ with high temps of around 80 degrees, cool breezes and sunshine. SRS the local, providing a high bite blue groove track and 450+ racers. All the pros you can ask for and a huge variety of your average weekend electric racers. Fun time with the family and away from WORK!!
The reason I started this thread is that although I had such a great time there at SRS, I couldnt help dwelling on my 6 hour drive back to so cal, that I had some what of a bad taste left in me. Now, ive been racing rc cars for about 19 years now and have attended the prestigious Cactus Classic about 10 of those years. I have a bit of history with the race\SRS and so does my entire rc racing family. So, while im driving home with a 10th place overall finish in stock truck (pardon the gloating), Im reminded of the good ol days back when I had a fresh set of 1400mah nicads to run all weekend and a brand new Slot Machine motor. Although I was in my preteens when anything and everything either amused or excited me, I remember driving home from this same race and already reeling at the excitment of next year when we go back. Why do I revert back to these memories you ask, well heres the thing, back then the racing and everything that went with it was why we went to the Cactus Classic, now the name and tradition brought us there. The past few years there isnt any Concours events, there isnt any raffles, there isnt any practice time on the track a week before. Back then you can run what you brung, you can have a less than top of the line speedo, you dont get compared to paint drying by the monotone annoucer for your qualifying event (prick, sorry were not doing backflips on the drivers stand), your bordem is considered by the host, not prolonged with 15 hour days.
My point is that this race may be to far generated for the top tier of drivers (sponsered\factory). Has the average weekenders feelings been set aside for what seems like another agenda. Not everyone who enters these types of races expects to make top 3 A-main, let alone the high hopes of the C-main. The agenda I may or may not be refering to is the $ coming in. Go back to the amount of drivers, 350 drivers has been a long time max on the event, back in the day (minus inflation) the entry fee for two classes might have been 50 bucks! Also even if you scored a righteous 3rd place in the "K" main you still got a trophy or plaque, all the way up to the A -main. Now I dont see any trophies, no plaques, no concours, no raffles, all pros, 450+ drivers, one shi**er, 15 hour days, and a "you guys arent pros, so who cares, me me me announcer"!!!
So let me catch my breath. Im might be alone on this but, hopefully theres a few old timers that feel my aingst and want to express, that they love the EXPIRENCE more than anything, its just that these past few years has been more of "dealing with it".
So before you think to yourself "well dumbass, if you dont like it, dont go", to late, I probably wont, unless I get an email saying, "we fixed the glitch, youre gonna feel appreciated and your $110 is gonna get you SOMETHING" otherwise I highly doubt it.
Maybe even if that $20,000+ in entry fees could afford me a 2" trophy saying 2wd Stock 10th place, or even a post it saying "thanks, better luck next year" I wouldnt have vented so much.

Peace....
Have you ever put on a race that attracted 400+ entrants? Do you have any idea how much work is involved?
I personally dont want a trophy that is not from an A main. Hell, I don't even want it if it's not 1st place from the A main.
If 300+ people come to the CC every year then something must be getting done correctly.
I'm confident in saying 99% of the racers don't care about a concours or a raffle because win or lose most showed up to race and enjoy the nice weather.
There is no way a small group of people putting on an event for a 400+ group of people can make everyone happy. There will always be a few unhappy about something no matter what the type of event is or the type of group attracted to the event.

Last edited by PFKAOG; 03-24-2011 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:38 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by BmainStar
Right But the PIMPS DID? 10 in stock truck out of 450 entries! Read his post a little deeper you addd phucks!!!!
No PIMPS crying here. This PIMP had a blast and can't wait until next year...
Old 03-24-2011, 07:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PFKAOG
No PIMPS crying here. This PIMP had a blast and can't wait until next year...
Maybe the Pimps are just younger and the old dogs are just pheelin the heat!!!
Old 03-24-2011, 07:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I hear what you are saying, things have changed that's for sure. But I still had a great time at a great race. And I would bet, those entries will contribute to keeping the doors open for the rest of the year.
The Local brick and mortar shops have an increasingly harder time staying around especially with a track (which is a money pit no matter how you slice it)

I would tend to agree though that old school feel of the races now a days has diminished, but I like to think its more professional and a step closer to some kind of recognition.

It's a natural progression that happens to all sports / hobbies. Look at super cross. You use to be able to give it a go as a true privateer, out of the back of your truck with an AMA pro license and you're in, not so much today. Nascar is the same way, dirt track racing, etc, etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.