Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Cactus Classic and other big events. Have they lost sight of whats important??? >

Cactus Classic and other big events. Have they lost sight of whats important???

Cactus Classic and other big events. Have they lost sight of whats important???

Old 03-24-2011, 09:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by artie's liver
trophies should represent accomplishments, not participation
+1 I agree. 400+ entries, you race your butt off to make the A-Main. You finish 4th in the A to walk away empty handed? Yet the guy racing in the same class wins the E-Main walks away with trophy in hand. Top three in all mains trophy. Somethings wrong with this picture...
Old 03-24-2011, 09:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Maybe not trophies for us slow guys. How bout a plaque or sticker for my pit box. That would be nice.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ocjeremy
I too participated in this event. I enjoyed the racing, the weather, the adrenaline, the facility, and most of all the people that make up this community of the rc racing world. I also have been racing for about 20 years. I am not an A-main guy, yet I keep coming back for more. I have participated in many "big" races also. U can call me whatever sort of horrible degrading name you like, Quite frankly I dont care! But I love every plaque, trophy, and certitificate I have ever recieved in my rc racing career, especially those from "big" races.
I feel Hardcor has a valid point.
+1
This was my first CC and I had a blast. I did not do nearly as well as I had hoped but its whatever really. Wasnt expecting to. I run the JBRL series here in so cal and at every race of the series there are giveaways from the companies that sponsor the series. Jimmy also serves lunch and gives $ back to the point leaders at the final. (in every class) The CC had sponsors if Im not mistaken. TLR, Tekin, etc. Now yes, organizing a big race does take quite a bit of effort and $ but running 2 classes cost me what, $110 I believe. That got the 4 qualifiers, and main per class and a t shirt. Hmmm. A friend just said to me "the non pros drive the industry and it would be nice if they'd received something for their efforts" Well, being a racer and a former manager of a hobby shop and track, I can see both sides of this but I agree with the threads creator. Just my 2 pennies. Maybe next year things will be different/better.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Build it and they will come, Treat them right and they will stay.......

Otherwise they won't come back, and goodbye goes your pay.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PFKAOG
You get it...... Does 10th place at a Supercross event get a trophy? What about the winner of the LCQ at a Supercross race?
I'm not sure of the of the pay out now for supercross but back in 1997 and 1998 when I did the west coast 125 you got 250$ just for making the LCQ and the was just for making it that for. So you would double your money on your entry just for lining up for the LCQ. But you real count cumpare this to rc racing with the big promoters and sponsers in supercross making the LCQ mite sound like it's easy but behind the seens would would show up to the race about 8 am go thrue tech run practice and be doing pre Q by about 10 11 am just trying to get thrue them so you could Q to the heats then hope to make it as far as the LCQ
Old 03-24-2011, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by STEALTH

Attend races and events organized and hosted by SCOTTY ERNST. You won't go home disappointed and you will find that "feel" your looking for. He is starting a Nation wide tour of his Short Course Showdown just like his Touring Car series in Europe... Attend it and you will go home with a smile on your face for sure!

Here is more info for those interested:

Scotty is the man! If you haven't been to a race that he announces you're missing out. There's a reason he travels the world as a race announcer. At his track he and the rest of his staff make you feel "good" about being there no matter if your name Ryan, Tebo or joe blow back of the Z-main guy. Scotty's top notch.
To the OP, I see your point. To those who have no use for a 10th place stock truck trophy that's fine too BUT there's this little saying.."It's the thought that counts".

A simple box plaque would be nice, they're cheap and some people actually travel a long distance to make this race. It might make them feel like they made more than just a donation to the promoter.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:17 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 316 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
Build it and they will come, Treat them right and they will stay.......

Otherwise they won't come back, and goodbye goes your pay.
+1- In 100% agreement!!
Old 03-25-2011, 12:37 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by STEALTH

Attend races and events organized and hosted by SCOTTY ERNST. You won't go home disappointed and you will find that "feel" your looking for. He is starting a Nation wide tour of his Short Course Showdown just like his Touring Car series in Europe... Attend it and you will go home with a smile on your face for sure!

Here is more info for those interested:

+1. I can't wait. I'm participating at the event at Mikes Hobby Shop.

I've heard Scotty announce plenty of times on YouTube and even the 1/8 Offroad Worlds DVD and Scotty is the freaking man! He knows what this hobby is all about and he knows how to do it properly. He doesn't care what your last name is, who you are sponsored by, all he cares about is that you are here having a good time. He doesn't put any class as the top class (I HATE announcers that are like "this is the best/top class"). If you are running last place in the Z Main wrecking every turn Scotty still makes sure you are having a good time. I can't wait to experience an event of his in person. I just know it will be the smoothest event ever ran. I don't know how he does it, but he always seems to know of every single battle happening on the track.

I can sort of understand what the OP is posting about. He's not griping about he didn't get a trophy or w/e. More-so he is talking about that these events now are just too much geared towards the pro drivers, and if you're not a pro-driver then you don't matter. I wasn't at the Cactus Classic but I watched a couple of classes on LiveRC and honestly my opinion is that the announcer just flat out didn't care about your class unless you were a pro or racing in a "top" class.

Again just find a race Scotty is the race director at and I'm willing to bet you'll get that feeling back you were talking about.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

People unwilling to delve into the posters points want to boil it down to trophies. No. I think he is more talking about a lack of enthusiasm for anything/one beyond the top tier drivers.

In which case.

Cactus has always been like that. All the previous owners bent over backwords to not make the teams get huffy. Given, the last time I went was like 95, but even then it was such.

However, I would say you have a valid point about the announcer. If you listen to the youtubes, you can hear what he is describing. If the announcer is not "into it" it just ruins the excitement of the race. Did they get Richard Lake to announce (from Tucson)? He used to make it fun, and would even laugh on occasion (his laugh was contagious). Or Scott.. forget his last name. Long, long ago he worked for SIR and was sponsored by AE/Yokomo but then went to school I think to be a lawyer or something.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

Gaylord Focker has an 8th place ribbon. Just say'n ..... Everyone likes a reward. I agree that a token of some sort to represent the OP's participation at this major event would be nice.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

well said original poster. Its always nice to get a lil something back. I go to alot of car shows with my mustang. Even if i dont win etc i almost always get a dash plaque atleast to show that i was there.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I used to race quad xc and Didnt finish in the top 3= no trophy. and it was 50 to race 10 to get into the race, 50 per year membership, plus the gas and wear and tear on the bike but hey if you want a trophy then finish in the top 3.

As for the old school rc racing days it was who had the best batteries, and fastest motors, alot more than it is now. I remember that my crew had Reedy matched cells and two turbo 35 chargers and a engine dyno and com lathe to get the max performance out of the "stock" motors we raced. so we had to have at least 4 or 5 motors, and 4 or 5 matched cell packs, so saying you can go out there and didnt have to have the best of everything I belive you are mistaken there.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

well... i still had a blast! we all met some cool people from around the world and traded stories and became friends (you can't put a price on that my friends). just ask schumacher chris or the father and son that came from kansas

the entire srs crew worked their butts off to make it happen. i tip my hat to them. thank you guys and gals.

sorry it can't be like it was in the 80's, but times change. we may not like it but we have to deal with it at times.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:58 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by PFKAOG
He's crying because the slow guys in the low mains didnt get a trophy...
not crying cuz no trophy, but lack of acknolegment for coming. And who are the slow guys, the people who payed the $110 for forth in the A, 2nd in the B, 1st in the C. Of what class, 2nd in bmain 2wd mod or is it just the guys who didnt have their entry fronted by the factory????
No, no crying "pimp"

and rcorcc read it, you can never trust a "pimp"
Old 03-25-2011, 06:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by artie's liver
you know what's important...

paragraphs

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.