How do I get faster?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 07:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tibbs
Slower is faster.
+1

Slow the car down until your (clean) lap times are all almost identical. Then gradually increase your speed repeating the process. At some point you won't be able to get faster (lap times) without running a good line, but you have to be comfortable with and in control of your ride to find that line.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

all good points everyone has said, i would say after watching the video would be work on ur corner speed u are losing a lot of time there, u looked alittle like point and shoot in the corners need to be more rolling. slow down just a bit not to over shooting the corners and work from there.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:01 AM
SEF
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nv529
1) keep the car low as possible to the ground some of the jumps you went pass the down side of the landing and pushed wide into the following turn. When you have turns right after a jump its always best to "lightly brake check" on landing face to slow the car down before the turn.

2) learn to drive the track like a road course entering wide, staying tight at the apex, and existing wide will always carry the most corner speed, however sometimes staying tight all the way around the turn is faster play around with your race lines to find out what works best.

check this video out for example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oni9iUFwx-s

3) Turn down your brake EPA most people run way to much brake and end up scrubbing off too much corner speed.

4) Be easy on the throttle finger, you have "roll" the throttle on and off to control traction the same applies to using the brakes. I know a handful guys that are butter smooth on the gas but love to grab a handful of brakes at every turn it is a bad habit drop, but you have to train yourself to use minimum brakes around the track. fast lap times = constant speed. The next time you're out practicing think about driving the truggy as if you were inside of a Real 1:1 car all inputs (steering, gas, and brake) must be smooth or it will be a jerky ride.
Good stuff right here. Next time I'm practicing, I will dial in brake and throttle setup and practice being more precise with my throttle control. Also will work on corner speed.

The video is incredible. Not only the driving, but going from first to last back to first to checking out on the field of such high caliber.

Last edited by SEF; 03-24-2011 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:08 AM
SEF
Tech Elite

Can't wait to get out and practice again. Primary things to work on are corner speed, keeping on the fast line, and throttle/brake control.

Last time I was at the track, there were a couple faster guys. It was insane how they could just place their cars exactly where they wanted it. I thought I was taking a good inside line in a corner, and they would pass me inside Downsiding some of these jumps can be difficult since they are easy to overshoot, which tends to be safe, or you case the landing jump and you crash. The fast guys are consistently flying nose down and hitting every down side and are also ready for the next turn. Incredible.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

Subscribed.

This is a great read. That 1/12th scale race was like watching Kimi come from last to first in F1.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:01 AM
Tech Rookie

here's a good website that describes what nv529 was talking about about wide in the corners and tight in the apex (and with diagrams!) home.scarlet.be/~be067749/58/index (add .htm to the end of that as i can't post links yet) and its got a lot of other useful info too about car dynamics, adjustments and what not. but ive found that the website works sometimes and doesn't others... so if you get it to work, there's a link on the intro page to download it as a zip file and i'd recommend doing that.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:06 AM
SEF
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by davidle
here's a good website that describes what nv529 was talking about about wide in the corners and tight in the apex (and with diagrams!) home.scarlet.be/~be067749/58/index (add .htm to the end of that as i can't post links yet) and its got a lot of other useful info too about car dynamics, adjustments and what not. but ive found that the website works sometimes and doesn't others... so if you get it to work, there's a link on the intro page to download it as a zip file and i'd recommend doing that.
This is a good link with tons of good info. I've spent the time to read this in the past, and anyone getting serious into RC and racing should also read it. Thanks.

http://home.scarlet.be/~be067749/58/index.htm
Old 03-24-2011, 11:09 AM
Tech Rookie

oh i forgot, hit the driving tab on the left of the site for the driving tips. oops.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

practice practice practice just go every time the track is open and run.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Spend less time HERE, and more time ON THE TRACK.

On a serious note, the driving wasnt too bad, but I gotta ask what your running for a motor/pipe combo...........I could be wrong, but your acceleration and top end through the straight seems a bit soft.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:43 AM
SEF
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DanELITE
practice practice practice just go every time the track is open and run.
Wish I could but the tracks I go to are between 1-1.5 hours away in LA traffic. Plus I do have a life outside RC although not much of one My wife is good enough to let me go once or twice a week and lets me wrench on my stuff when I'm supposed to be putting in quality time This means that the time I do get to practice has to be quality practice time.

Originally Posted by ntrain42
Spend less time HERE, and more time ON THE TRACK.

On a serious note, the driving wasnt too bad, but I gotta ask what your running for a motor/pipe combo...........I could be wrong, but your acceleration and top end through the straight seems a bit soft.
it's insane how addictive this forum can be, and I have a desk job so I stay updated. But if I could, I would trade rctech time for track time

The truggy in the vid is electric and using a Castle 2200 motor on 4s which I actually had to tame down a bit since it was a little out of control on the low end and I would spin out or get a lot of wheel spin. I also have a Losi buggy which is fun to drive which uses a Plus-4C withe a 9853/41021 pipe header combo.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SEF
Wish I could but the tracks I go to are between 1-1.5 hours away in LA traffic. Plus I do have a life outside RC although not much of one My wife is good enough to let me go once or twice a week and lets me wrench on my stuff when I'm supposed to be putting in quality time This means that the time I do get to practice has to be quality practice time.

it's insane how addictive this forum can be, and I have a desk job so I stay updated. But if I could, I would trade rctech time for track time

The truggy in the vid is electric and using a Castle 2200 motor on 4s which I actually had to tame down a bit since it was a little out of control on the low end and I would spin out or get a lot of wheel spin. I also have a Losi buggy which is fun to drive which uses a Plus-4C withe a 9853/41021 pipe header combo.
I just realized you aren't running nitro(even though it sounds like you're running with nitro truggies)and going brushless. LOL!
Old 03-24-2011, 11:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nv529
1) keep the car low as possible to the ground some of the jumps you went pass the down side of the landing and pushed wide into the following turn. When you have turns right after a jump its always best to "lightly brake check" on landing face to slow the car down before the turn.

2) learn to drive the track like a road course entering wide, staying tight at the apex, and existing wide will always carry the most corner speed, however sometimes staying tight all the way around the turn is faster play around with your race lines to find out what works best.

check this video out for example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oni9iUFwx-s

3) Turn down your brake EPA most people run way to much brake and end up scrubbing off too much corner speed.

4) Be easy on the throttle finger, you have "roll" the throttle on and off to control traction the same applies to using the brakes. I know a handful guys that are butter smooth on the gas but love to grab a handful of brakes at every turn it is a bad habit drop, but you have to train yourself to use minimum brakes around the track. fast lap times = constant speed. The next time you're out practicing think about driving the truggy as if you were inside of a Real 1:1 car all inputs (steering, gas, and brake) must be smooth or it will be a jerky ride.
that's an intense video!

practice practice practice.

find the shortest route = clean tight lines
don't shoot for hang time in the air
study the fast guys and try to copy them

did I mention practice?
Old 03-24-2011, 11:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

So many folks buy an RC car and think you just drive it around the track as fast as you can and practice doing that...but in addition to acquiring the skills you also need to develop race craft...that will set you apart from the others.

Read Ross Bentley's 'Speed Secrets' Series...especially "Professional Race Driving Techniques". Some may laugh and think it does not apply as it is for road racing, but all the basic techniques apply...understanding the fastest line, your opponents line, blending lines for overtaking, the defensive line, prioritizing corners, weight transfer, slip angles, traction circle, throttle steering, driving the limit, etc. It's all in there...and it ALL applies to what we do and he explains it in a well thought out way.

You will need to maneuver around and through obstacles not encountered in road racing, but those are just added hurdles to take into account and does not negate the basic principles discussed. Give it a look...you will be surprised.
rbc626 likes this.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LasagnaCat
+1

Slow the car down until your (clean) lap times are all almost identical. Then gradually increase your speed repeating the process. At some point you won't be able to get faster (lap times) without running a good line, but you have to be comfortable with and in control of your ride to find that line.
Good advice, but be careful going too slow. There are many techniques you can only practice at speed...if you don't go fast enough you will never get a chance to practice them.

I remember when I took my first few lessons in road racing...the instructors kept talking about things that I could not even relate to because I had never pushed my car hard enough to experience them. When I finally did everything totally clicked and I could finally speak their language. It was hard getting to that speed and overcoming the natural fear of pushing a vehicle that hard! The thought of putting your car into a wall is pretty intense...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.