Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Understanding motors and Esc >

Understanding motors and Esc

Understanding motors and Esc

Old 03-22-2011, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Default Understanding motors and Esc

So i am a nitro guy just starting to dip into electric racing here. Now I here and see a lot of talk about "boosting" and adjusting timing.

So what exactly is boosting? Is there only certain esc that can do it or is there like an add on to make it happen?

Next is adjusting timing, what Changing the timing do? And is this certain esc's to?

Like I stated I am nitro guy getting into 2wd Sc racing and would like to understand all this electric stuff. I am currently running the VXL-3S system for starters in my xxx-sct and I will eventually ugrade once I figure this electric stuff out.

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

boosting is just like boosting a car without the turbocharger anyways yes..you have to have an esc that does it such as the lrp sxx or tekin rs..it pretty much boosts your motor..self explanatory Welcome to electric!
Old 03-22-2011, 03:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Timing adjustments alter the motors power curve. Higher timing will give you higher RPM power while increasing heat and lowering efficiency. Lower timing will give you lower RPM power, increased efficiency and lower temperatures. In most cases the standard timing adjustments will increase or decrease top speed and acceleration similar to a gearing change, but less noticeable.

Boost is a way of controlling the timing so that you get the benefit of low timing at lower speeds, and then very large timing increases at higher speeds, for the best of both worlds plus a major increase in RPMs. These usually have several adjustments for the amount of timing increase, the time or RPM that it kicks in, and other cool adjustments so you can find the best possible setup for your RC. Some motors can handle more boost than others and some might respond differently to boost, so it is important to keep your motors temperature in check to avoid damage.

Several companies make ESCs with a dynamic timing feature. Some popular ones are Castle Mamba Max Pro, Tekin RS/RS Pro, Hobbywing Xerun, or LRP SXX, just to name a few.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Good info guys. Very helpfull for me understanding this stuff.