Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
getting into 1/10? >

getting into 1/10?

getting into 1/10?

Old 03-21-2011, 02:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default getting into 1/10?

So I'm thinking of getting into electric. It slowed Down here but everything is picking back up even nitro.I've raced nitro for 2.5 years and it will always be my number one type of racing just looking for more to do. Some weeks its just nice to do something different.

I've raced electric here and there but nothing for long.currently I do have a xxxsct but its only been driven a pack or two due to my cheap Chinese lipos suck,which I have learned,its worth to pay for the Qc you get with the bigger names.. What I was thinking was picking up the new tlr 22 and racing that and sct.I have a tekin set up and they are pricey and I'm not sure if its worth the extra cash. so this is my point to this thread.I was lookin into the reedy setup or the xcelerion setup.what are your thoughts.also what about lipos? I've used thunderpower in the past and they are great but just looking at other batteries,are there cheaper ones or am I better off spending cash for Tp. Advice is appreciated.

Please,if you respond explain your reason,I understand there are ppl who will use nothing but X product,I'm not looking for your response.I'm looking for the guys who have tried many products and can say the pros and cons
Old 03-21-2011, 02:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I would stick to a sensored setup for racing. Much more controllable, and will be needed if in a spec class anyway.

I know the tekins are pricey, but imo well worth it. If you want to save a few bucks, the Mamba Max Pro is pretty good too. It has a few different features than the tekin that achieve the same goal. The MMP doesnt have the turbo function like the RS/RS Pro, but will provide boost and punch control. Also with MMP you should look into getting a receiver cap to save a future hassle.

Out of the 4 kinds of speedos ive used in the last 4-6 months, the Tekin takes home the gold. Followed by the MMP. Behind that the Novak, and then the reedy rtr/3300kv system.

I forget but there are lesser brands out there that claim the same feature, but i havent used any. I like to stick to better names on my electronics.

I used to be die hard Novak, but have let up and decided to try the other guys. Glad i did

I have only used Orion lipos since i got back into it a few months ago. I use a TP saddle pack also that i got with my b44 and it seems nice, but I cant tell anything great about it. It is supposed to be a good battery and i hope it stays that way lol.

The orions were pricey too since i got them in a local store. My next round i will be looking at the gens ace batteries. If i cant get a hold of those i will probly go with protek packs. The gens ace and proteks are widely used here and seem to work great according to my fellow racers.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:08 PM
Bus
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ya what he said. But as far as class. do 2wd buggy. Their is a saying around here. Master a 2wd buggy and you can drive anything. All the 1/8 Nitro drivers drive 1/10 buggy to make themselves better during the winter season!
Old 03-21-2011, 03:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Buggy will make you better, but SCT can make you better also.

I run buggy and truck in the same day. Going from one end to the other as far as the way they drive. If you can get good at bouncing around, you will get better for sure

I have switched to 4wd buggy instead of 2wd recently and that makes things interesting as well lol. Ill do 2 classes in a day but not 3, thats almost like work

Theres some fast locals around here, surprisingly SCT has almost the same avg laps as 2wd buggy. Buggy still has lap records though.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GizmoJunkie
I would stick to a sensored setup for racing. Much more controllable, and will be needed if in a spec class anyway.

I know the tekins are pricey, but imo well worth it. If you want to save a few bucks, the Mamba Max Pro is pretty good too. It has a few different features than the tekin that achieve the same goal. The MMP doesnt have the turbo function like the RS/RS Pro, but will provide boost and punch control. Also with MMP you should look into getting a receiver cap to save a future hassle.

Out of the 4 kinds of speedos ive used in the last 4-6 months, the Tekin takes home the gold. Followed by the MMP. Behind that the Novak, and then the reedy rtr/3300kv system.

I forget but there are lesser brands out there that claim the same feature, but i havent used any. I like to stick to better names on my electronics.

I used to be die hard Novak, but have let up and decided to try the other guys. Glad i did

I have only used Orion lipos since i got back into it a few months ago. I use a TP saddle pack also that i got with my b44 and it seems nice, but I cant tell anything great about it. It is supposed to be a good battery and i hope it stays that way lol.

The orions were pricey too since i got them in a local store. My next round i will be looking at the gens ace batteries. If i cant get a hold of those i will probly go with protek packs. The gens ace and proteks are widely used here and seem to work great according to my fellow racers.
Yea im sticking with sensored combo, im happy with the tekin set up, i havent had any issues like ive heard ppl have had with other esc/motors but also i havent used them a lot. i had a blitz that had some run time on it and i bought another combo when i had bought the old losi 2wd but ended up selling the 2wd due to insider info i had on the 22 but kept the tekin and i put that in my xxx sct and sold the blitz. i dont want to go with the castle as i had one a while back just want happy with it. I am curious about the xcelerion set up and the reedy mainly because of the success its had in the pro area, so seeing what the intermediate drivers have done with them, ill be honest im more towards the xcelerion.

Originally Posted by Bus
Ya what he said. But as far as class. do 2wd buggy. Their is a saying around here. Master a 2wd buggy and you can drive anything. All the 1/8 Nitro drivers drive 1/10 buggy to make themselves better during the winter season!

i do want to race the sc as well, so i would be doing both