Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Facts

Ball diff best features

*superior forward traction

*no diff out when ever accelerating

*easier to drive
Can you show me the wiki facts link please. You got ALOT to learn kiddo. ALOT TO LEARN.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:50 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by ntrain42
Can you show me the wiki facts link please. You got ALOT to learn kiddo. ALOT TO LEARN.
schooling ?

just test & compare lap times between both...

I was with Scott Brown when he tested the difference between the gear & ball when the Sc-10 was not even release yet for sale.

Scotts laps time always improved considerably when using the ball diff..

Me too same thing , way faster , better traction with the ball diff ....
Old 03-21-2011, 12:09 PM
Tech Master

schooling ?

I was with Scott Brown when he tested the difference between the gear & ball when the Sc-10 was not even release yet for sale.

Then I dont put any trust into "Scott Brown" no matter who he is. Ball diffs offer NOTHING over a gear diff in terms of reliability or tuning even. Ball diffs are just quicker to adjust. And who knows what he tried for gear fluid weight..........I know that here locally, the hardcore SC10 owners use and prefer the SC10 gear diffs and noone here will recommend the ball units.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

schooling ?

That's funny.. again I just recently threw the ball diff back in my sc10, lap times are the same. Tight technical track and outdoors. In fact they went down some vs my outdoor times when I compared.. inside I run about a 3k oil, outside I run the black ae grease.

Want more funnies? Most pro's around here have swapped to gear diff's in their SC's (losi, ae and blitz mostly at this point).
Old 03-21-2011, 12:22 PM
Tech Legend

Then I dont put any trust into "Scott Brown" no matter who he is. Ball diffs offer NOTHING over a gear diff in terms of reliability or tuning even. Ball diffs are just quicker to adjust. And who knows what he tried for gear fluid weight..........I know that here locally, the hardcore SC10 owners use and prefer the SC10 gear diffs and noone here will recommend the ball units.

Scott is one of Ae's best team drivers ....

and ?

He did test different oils & grease ....

Me too .....
Old 03-21-2011, 12:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 223 (100%+)

I am not a pro driver by any means but if your gear diff is set up correctly with the proper fluid for your track it has provided me the same lap times as a ball diff. Most of the guys around here and changed back to gear diff just because the reliability and the lack of maintenance needed.
I race 2wd SC as a 3rd class so the less maintenance the better If you are pro or very serious about 2wd SC racing Than the adjustable Ball Diff I am sure would be a better choice. You can tighten or loosen your diff with ease and tune to the correct track conditions. If you are just a club racer having fun than
ask what the guys at your local track prefer for fluid and give the gear diff a shot. Odds are you will never notice a difference.

Just my 2 cents not let the griping resume. LOL
Old 03-21-2011, 12:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

You don't know who Scott Brown is?? Here is a video of him at the 2011 Reedy invite race with Tebo and Cavaleri and mayfield in the same heat. I would trust his findings over your local "hardcore" sc10 owners....Oh and also he was the 2009 SC national champion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvSwsQi1dSc
Old 03-21-2011, 01:16 PM
Tech Champion

Is everyone aware that gear diffs were common in the early ‘80s cars, both on road and off road, before Schumacher I believe it was introduced the ball diff? Reading this thread I can’t help but wonder why some might think every companies top level 2wd kits (to the best of my knowledge) went to ball diffs fairly quickly. Or which 2wd Worlds, or Nationals even, have been won with gear diffs?

Originally Posted by GizmoJunkie

You get the best of both worlds with the ball diff. Under hard accel or braking you will get the posi action you want, and under light-no power in a turn it frees up and spins better.

Yep, that is the answer to the original question of why a ball diff. Changing fluid in a gear diff tends to be a compromise between the 2. If you lock it up for acceleration you likely give up some turn in and mid corner speed.

That said, for some tracks, some driver styles, maybe it’s not a big deal. If it works for you then by all means rock on.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I still like the justification of what "the pros use".

Dont buy into stuff that the pros try to sell... I hear this stuff over and over again, only to hear someone a few weeks later talk about their bad decision. Go with what you know. If you dont know; try, ask, or test locally.

Im stuck on a ball diff and i stated the reasons why. I really dont care if i have to tear it down once every 2 months... And i usually race 1-2 times a week.

This thread was Gear or Ball and WHY. Ive stated my WHY!

lol

In all fairness, use what you like, as i do the same.

LETS GO RACE!
Old 03-21-2011, 01:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Your driving style and racing surface will determine when and if you "diff out" I have a buddy who likes the gear diff better and runs faster times with it on our small track thing is you can always catch him through a tight corner. Gear diffs can excellerate faster but your wheels better be straight or you will indeed diff out. All the newer team set ups on the associated sites use the ball diff....that in itself should tell you something.
My SC10 is an RTR and I HATED the gear diff.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:32 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 8ight-e
ball diff, and it already needs a rebuild after just a few months of racing. .
I rebuild my diffs every two weeks.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
I rebuild my diffs every two weeks.
Same here and funny thing is too gear diffs leak and should be maintained about every two weeks as well especially if it feels loose as in less fluid in it...christ had to do that with the 1/8 scaler too. lol
Old 03-21-2011, 01:52 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Derry
You don't know who Scott Brown is?? Here is a video of him at the 2011 Reedy invite race with Tebo and Cavaleri and mayfield in the same heat. I would trust his findings over your local "hardcore" sc10 owners....Oh and also he was the 2009 SC national champion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvSwsQi1dSc
No actually I Don't. Do you know who Dale Nilles is on the AHDRA circuit? To be quite honest I am aware of team drivers. their job is to promotes sales through racing their sponsor'd products. For example I do know who Brian Kinwald is(And what an @ss he is with the worst case of "small man's complex" Ive ever seen)and years ago when Cliff Lett was kickin around that "pro driver" Kinwald was in an area local to me racing and he got his behind kicked by a number of local "club level" joe's who probably didnt spend half the time practicing that he did. Just because your a pro, doesnt mean your great at what you do, or even better than an amateur racer. It just means you want to make a career out of it and have connections in the field many times.

So you may trust a Pro's level of expertise in setting up a car, but I don't. The only person I trust is myself and my driving style for my vehicle through my own trial and error. And there are alot of older people here locally in this hobby who build and race the "big toys" for a living whose advice I'd take over a hobby pro's advice any day of the week.

That being said, loosening up a ball diff has the exact same effect as putting in lighter weight oil in a gear diff. Tightening up a ball diff is identical to putting in heavier fluid in a gear diff. Ball diffs have one advantage. Quick adjustments. Thats the only good use I see on em. But I have seen ball diffs loosen up a bit in races(like a poorly set slipper clutch) where the car basically loses its effective acceleration power to the point where its slipping to both wheels simultaneously where the car can't effective accelerate anymore. Could have been user error, could have been a stripped adjusting bolt or another worn part. But its something you dont have to worry about with a gear diff.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:10 PM
Tech Champion

Still missing the distinction between loaded and un loaded reactions. Oil or grease won’t change that.

Do agree that you have to go with what works for you though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.