Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
SCT or 8th Buggy? >

SCT or 8th Buggy?

SCT or 8th Buggy?

Old 03-16-2011, 05:00 PM
Tech Regular

Default SCT or 8th Buggy?

I'm having a hard time deciding between going with a electric SCT or 1/8th Buggy. I really like the looks of the SCTs, but I don't want to go with something just for looks if I can't take it to the track and race a few people.

Is SCT pretty popular? Is it expected to go away like 10th did anytime soon?

How is electric off-road? Is it growing? Dieing?

I'd really like to make it a good investment and not end up buying something to find out that part of the industry is dying like I did with my XXX-NT and XXX-S.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Error404
I'm having a hard time deciding between going with a electric SCT or 1/8th Buggy. I really like the looks of the SCTs, but I don't want to go with something just for looks if I can't take it to the track and race a few people.

I'd really like to make it a good investment and not end up buying something to find out that part of the industry is dying like I did with my XXX-NT and XXX-S.

SCT is very large for the most part at any track. I don't see it dying soon. It's just getting started.

Electric off-road is definitely growing. With the advances in technology, many nitro guys are ditching the nitro buggies and going electric. There's even talk around here of an Electric Truggy class this year. It all depends on your location. I would check your track and see what is actually ran before buying something. 8th scale electric isn't popular everywhere...yet.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

losi ten-scte..??
its 4wd 1/10 shortcourse thats pretty much a downsized 1/8 buggy setup in shortcourse truck form...

it handles kinda like a 1/8 buggy..

i'd go to you local tracks and check out the races.. the popular classes with be obvious.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:25 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

A fair few ppl seem to be getting the RC8be and retro fitting SC8 Shock Towers, Mounts etc and an SC10 shell, instant Corr truck that handles like a Buggy.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:47 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by T. Herwig
SCT is very large for the most part at any track. I don't see it dying soon. It's just getting started.
Very promising to hear. How are the big organizations handling them?

Originally Posted by T. Herwig
Electric off-road is definitely growing. With the advances in technology, many nitro guys are ditching the nitro buggies and going electric. There's even talk around here of an Electric Truggy class this year. It all depends on your location. I would check your track and see what is actually ran before buying something. 8th scale electric isn't popular everywhere...yet.
I'm lucky enough I'm close to West Coast RC, Revelation Raceway. West Coast doesn't have a beginners/novice class for 8th scale, atleast on their website, Revelations seems to have a 8th Scale Beginners class.

What kind of run times can I expect with a LiPo battery? I've never ran one, always had NiHM.

Originally Posted by racerx711
losi ten-scte..??
its 4wd 1/10 shortcourse thats pretty much a downsized 1/8 buggy setup in shortcourse truck form...
How many 4wd 1/10th SC races are there? I thought almost all of them were 2wd?
Old 03-16-2011, 05:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Stay away from the 4wd sct's. They are a handful with the smaller chassis and insane motors. 1/8 scale electric buggy is the ticket now. Plenty of power and easier to drive than a 2wd sct.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

1/8th scale nitro is where its at and where the big boys play. SC though is also very popular and alot of fun as well. I race both classes.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:27 PM
Tech Addict

go to your local track and check out whats going on there,at out track the 10th stuff pretty much died out. buggy and truggy took over and now a SCT class is starting up.

we mix the nitro and brushless 8th scale stuff.

i like the way a buggy turns and jumps.. mind you the SCT's are starting to turn nice... bit i dont think they can jump like a buggy.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Originally Posted by jmackani
Stay away from the 4wd sct's. They are a handful with the smaller chassis and insane motors. 1/8 scale electric buggy is the ticket now. Plenty of power and easier to drive than a 2wd sct.
+1

1/8th scales are so awsome.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Start with 2wd and when you learn how to be fast with it your step up to ANY 4wd class will mean you will smoke everyone from the word go who over drive their 4wd..
Old 03-16-2011, 06:56 PM
Tech Regular

How is the AE RC8e?

Originally Posted by ntrain42
1/8th scale nitro is where its at and where the big boys play. SC though is also very popular and alot of fun as well. I race both classes.
I'll go 1/8th scale nitro once I feel I have enough experience to handle it, I'd like to start off with 1/8th scale electric if I go 8th just for ease of use and user friendliness, charge and go, not having to worry about tuning, a/f ratio, race fuel, ect.

Originally Posted by fallguy
go to your local track and check out whats going on there,at out track the 10th stuff pretty much died out. buggy and truggy took over and now a SCT class is starting up.
That was my problem. Dropping $450 on a brand new XXX-NT RTR to race, and only doing 2 races because the class had 3-4 racers. I'm trying to stay away from that, XXX-NT is just sitting collecting dust now, haven't even put a gallon through it

we mix the nitro and brushless 8th scale stuff.
Is the brushless competitive with nitro?

i like the way a buggy turns and jumps.. mind you the SCT's are starting to turn nice... bit i dont think they can jump like a buggy.
I see SCTs slamming hard when jumping, I guess it shows tough parts, but I REALLY hate buying replacement parts

Originally Posted by bazthecarman
+1

1/8th scales are so awsome.
I do like the class of the 8th, always seemed to be HUGE, the racing was nitro, not electric.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

How is the AE RC8e?

I'll go 1/8th scale nitro once I feel I have enough experience to handle it, I'd like to start off with 1/8th scale electric if I go 8th just for ease of use and user friendliness, charge and go, not having to worry about tuning, a/f ratio, race fuel, ect.

That was my problem. Dropping $450 on a brand new XXX-NT RTR to race, and only doing 2 races because the class had 3-4 racers. I'm trying to stay away from that, XXX-NT is just sitting collecting dust now, haven't even put a gallon through it

I see SCTs slamming hard when jumping, I guess it shows tough parts, but I REALLY hate buying replacement parts

I do like the class of the 8th, always seemed to be HUGE, the racing was nitro, not electric.

I have run just about most of the 1/8 scales from losi, hot bodies, AE, and mugen. The only one I have not touched is kyosho. I myself am running hot bodies, but I like the the feel of the AE RC8BE that I bought two of them for my sons to race this summer. 1/8 electric and nitro have about the same lap times, the electric has a ton of bottom end, whereas the nitro has more on the top end. The electric will easily pull a nitro out of the corners.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:40 PM
Tech Regular

I have run just about most of the 1/8 scales from losi, hot bodies, AE, and mugen. The only one I have not touched is kyosho. I myself am running hot bodies, but I like the the feel of the AE RC8BE that I bought two of them for my sons to race this summer. 1/8 electric and nitro have about the same lap times, the electric has a ton of bottom end, whereas the nitro has more on the top end. The electric will easily pull a nitro out of the corners.
I was almost sold on the SCT, dang you for making me think about the AE RC8BE
Old 03-16-2011, 08:10 PM
Tech Addict

its more powerful but you have to watch the weight. Im not the fastest guy. im about the middle of the pack, but yeah i could keep up with my way over sized lipo and old V4 kit
Old 03-16-2011, 08:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Dont over look the Hyper 9e if you decide to go 1/8 scale. The car is simply amazing!!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.