Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
How many ways to stuff up a 4pole brushless 1/8 motor >

How many ways to stuff up a 4pole brushless 1/8 motor

How many ways to stuff up a 4pole brushless 1/8 motor

Old 03-13-2011, 03:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Thumbs up How many ways to stuff up a 4pole brushless 1/8 motor

Hi everyone I have a leopard 2000kv brushless motor and Im wondering how can you actually stuf up brushless motors? The only way I know is obviously if you get them wet and running them too hot! Is there any other ways brushless could start losing torque,speed,demagnetizing ect.?? Answers would help alot
Thanks
Matt
Old 03-13-2011, 04:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

If you let the motor free rev without any load on it the rotor can fail, the centrifugal force shatters the magnets. But this is an instant, catastrophic failure, not a loss of power over time.

Overheating can cause 2 things: the rotor will demag, which will be seen as a loss in power and even higher current draw and temps, or the windings can short, but this type of failure is more catastrophic and instant, and can take the ESC or lipos with it due to the surge in current.

There can be conditions in the system that might make you think the motor is dying, but are really something else. Like a dying lipo pack, or a bad/damaged solder joint.

How hot has the motor been run up to? If you don't already have a temp gun I would get one. Very important tool for RC.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

brushless motors are waterproof.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by simplechamp
If you let the motor free rev without any load on it the rotor can fail, the centrifugal force shatters the magnets. But this is an instant, catastrophic failure, not a loss of power over time.

Overheating can cause 2 things: the rotor will demag, which will be seen as a loss in power and even higher current draw and temps, or the windings can short, but this type of failure is more catastrophic and instant, and can take the ESC or lipos with it due to the surge in current.

There can be conditions in the system that might make you think the motor is dying, but are really something else. Like a dying lipo pack, or a bad/damaged solder joint.

How hot has the motor been run up to? If you don't already have a temp gun I would get one. Very important tool for RC.
Thanks for the reply! Well First of all I never run it with no load unless I'm checking to see if any of the drive shafts are bent! This is usually 1/4 max so I doubt thats going stuff the motor! The motor has got up to 50 degrees Celsius or 122 degrees farenheit max but that was on speed runs! In racing today it probably only got to about 40degrees celsius or about 100 degrees farenheit. BTW nothing is wrong with my motor it's just I'm eliminating ways of trying to stuff my motor! How about the same question I asked but about the ESC????? How can that stuff up? Thanks alot
Matt