R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   High end servo debate.... (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/49157-high-end-servo-debate.html)

WheelNut 08-31-2004 11:41 PM

High end servo debate....

I've been looking at getting some good servos for a while now. The best one I've got now is a Hitec 5925 and I think its awsome. I never see any pros or anything running hitec stuff though, why? (aside from sponsorship issues mabye) Is it really worth it to spend the extra $45cdn to get the Airtronics 94358, or the extra $55cdn and buy the Futaba 9450? I'm sure the Air64358 would be incrediable though, the numbers look really good, but the Hitec is pretty cheap, and numbers are pretty good. My HS5925 has served me well for the last 3 years, no problems yet. Mabye some play in the gears or bearing, but aside from that.

Aaron Waldron 08-31-2004 11:47 PM

I'm not sponsored by a radio company. I run Airtronics equipment because I've used them all and it's what I have found to be the best.

In a world of cost-efficient production, you get what you pay for.

beetlebz 08-31-2004 11:49 PM

for my purposes ive never had any problems or complaints using my old hobbico high torque that came with my GT when i got it. and people tell me that it performs similarly to the $30 USD somthing futaba metal gear single BB servo.

i dont forsee myself going much beyond that

supercross 09-01-2004 11:26 AM

i wouldn't pay full price for a Futaba 9450 as its a discontinued model, replaced now by the slightly more powerful 9451!
i've always found KO to be very reliable but i've used 2 Sanwa ERG-VX in my 777, the ones with the alloy casings. i'm not sure of the Airtronics equivalent part number?
i was recommended these buy a few Team drivers & others i know using them have given me me no bad feedback;)

mafiaracers 09-01-2004 11:33 AM

I get rzzed all the time for it....but I am a fan of Hitec (5925)

DerekL 09-01-2004 02:52 PM

I run the 5925. no problems, it is fast, and very strong. But, you get what you pay for. Get the best you can.....

403forbidden 09-08-2004 08:24 AM

The Hitec line is as good as any other brand...don't believe the hype

rod_b 09-08-2004 08:40 AM

Originally posted by 403forbidden
The Hitec line is as good as any other brand...don't believe the hype
Maybe you should make that statement in the electric and nitro on-road forums and see what kind of response you get. In on-road many people want a servo that is precise, centers correctly, is fast and reliable. I can say from personal experience that I have never had a Hitec fail on me but I have also never had a Hitec servo (5925, 5945, 5625, 645MG, 605MG) feel as precise as my KO, Air and Futaba servos. I guess it's personal preference. Maybe their servos are better then when I ran them. I will say, however, that I've seen a higher rate of failure when run in 1:8 scale buggies because of the abuse.

Something I was told a long time ago regarding electronics of any kind...and has always held true from my perspective: You get what you pay for.

403forbidden 09-08-2004 09:13 AM

Frankly, I couldn't care less what response I get.

If you like the higher priced servos, thats fine.

The US Government once paid $80,000 for a toilet seat. I guess they got what they paid for eh?

Originally posted by rod_b
Maybe you should make that statement in the electric and nitro on-road forums and see what kind of response you get. In on-road many people want a servo that is precise, centers correctly, is fast and reliable. I can say from personal experience that I have never had a Hitec fail on me but I have also never had a Hitec servo (5925, 5945, 5625, 645MG, 605MG) feel as precise as my KO, Air and Futaba servos. I guess it's personal preference. Maybe their servos are better then when I ran them. I will say, however, that I've seen a higher rate of failure when run in 1:8 scale buggies because of the abuse.

Something I was told a long time ago regarding electronics of any kind...and has always held true from my perspective: You get what you pay for.

rod_b 09-08-2004 09:27 AM

If you would read carefully, I specifically said electronics.

No need to get hostile. I was just stating a general opinion that many share. :rolleyes:

Cain 09-08-2004 09:30 AM

I ran a hitec 925MG ( not the new model ) and it was very precise and I never felt a drift or lack of centering on the servo when I ran touring car and the class was very competitive.

Ultimately however you have to make a choice on what you want. If you want the specs and not the cost, hitec is a great way to go. If you want the calming feeling of paying more for a similar spec'd servo, go for that.

you best bet may to test each out in a vehicle and see what you like.

403forbidden 09-08-2004 09:41 AM

sorry, didn't mean to sound hostile...

I just think that there is a strong placebo effect in this hobby...mainly due to marketing techniques.

OvalEvader 09-08-2004 03:33 PM

I use both Airtronics and Futaba servos in my buggy. Basically whatever I can afford at the time I need them. Right now, I'm running a set of Futaba 9451's in my buggy, and couldn't be happier with the performance.

071crazy 09-09-2004 11:26 AM

Originally posted by 403forbidden
sorry, didn't mean to sound hostile...

I just think that there is a strong placebo effect in this hobby...mainly due to marketing techniques.

Well, of course there is the marketing effect. But, there is truth in seeing a lot more hitec servos breaking than Airtronics or Futaba. TC's don't put nearly the same amount of stress on a servo as a 1/8th scale buggy, so I definitely listen to these guys for durability opinions.

AE Racer 09-11-2004 11:22 AM

Ive had two Hitec servos fail on me. They were the 645MG and the 625MG. The motor in the 645 failed for no reason at all and it was repaired for free. The 625 broke when someone turned a radio on while I was drviving and my car wouldnt turn at the end of the straight and went straight into the wall. I replaced the 625 with a Futaba 9451 and I think its worth it. I'd rather pay more for a servo than have to send it in for repairs when it fails for no reason, because I dont like waiting and I usually end up buying a new one before I get the other back from being repaired.