Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro MT Stripping Spur Gears

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 06:08 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Nitro MT Stripping Spur Gears

Hey all,

I have posted this question before and gotten the answer to use a sheet of notebook paper to get the right mesh. I have also read several articles on the topic, but none of them have REALLY answered my question...

The engine mount location is not adjustable. You just screw it in (w/threadlock) through the holes countersunk into the chassis. The mounts that govern where the spur gear is aren't adjustable either.

I just put in my fourth spur gear last night and the mesh seems a bit loose. I can't really think of a way to make it tighter. I don't know what to adjust.

I must be missing something. Can anyone tell me what it is?

All help appreciated...

Kram
Old 08-30-2004, 08:26 AM
Tech Master

are you using the stock style 52T spur and 12T clutch bell. Also are you using the FE??

if you are not using any one of them you need to get some engine mounts so you can adjust your mesh, the notebook paper is the right thing to do.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Default THanks!

Thanks!

Ok engine mounts would be some sort of small piece that goes between the engine and the chassis? Something I can look up on HPI's website? If so, that would be awesome. I am tired of fixing it knowing that it will just crap out again...

Kram

P.S. Sorry. I never answered your questings. I am using the stock spur gear and the Nitro Star FE 0.15 engine. (not the ss)
Old 08-30-2004, 10:50 AM
Tech Addict

Is this the NMT(1)? If so you need to buy a slipper clutch, it is completely necessary but HPI doesnt include it in the kit. It costs about 30 bucks and it is a unit on the spur gear that slips when the car lands off of a jump taking the jolt to the drivetrain, rather than letting it strip the spur. You said that your mesh is loose, if its very loose it could be that you have bent the chassis, the chassis bends a little around the engine mount in many cases. If it only bent a little I' just buy the engine mounts so you can adjust your mesh, you will still need the slipper clutch though.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:46 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Hmmm another good thought

Thanks,

I'll look though the instructions later and see if I have a slipper clutch. I would only have on if it came stock. Sounds like the kind of think that I would remember putting on...

Maybe my mesh isnt loose and it the the slipper clutch thingy that is causing the problem. THat would make sense because I jump a lot...

Thanks agakn,

Kram
Old 08-30-2004, 12:43 PM
Tech Regular

check that the chassis isnt bent, and stop landing with the throttle on. you have to let off the gas just before the truck touches down. i used to race my NMT until i got a drake. i never once stripped a spur while racing. you just have to be careful driving it. i also never used a slipper clutch. one would help you, but i didnt find it nessessary. the only time i ever stripped spurs was after i landed and my motor mounts came loose. this screwed up the gear mesh and then stripped the spur. i use an aftermarket motor though and motor mounts, your mounts cant slip the way that mine can.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:38 AM
Tech Master

engine mounts are cheap

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXN373&P=ML
Old 08-31-2004, 08:42 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Thanks again

Yep. Bought some last night. In fact I bought some other spare parts, a new shell and a better glow plug. I almost bought a new engine!

I hate that place... I can never buy just one thing...

Kram