Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
When will a 100% brushless 1/8 buggy come out? >

When will a 100% brushless 1/8 buggy come out?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When will a 100% brushless 1/8 buggy come out?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 05:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HotBodiesVe8Boy
yeh the HB ve8 and caster were
There isn't a brushless 1/8th on the market that isn't based on a nitro platform. The VE8 and Caster buggy are no exception. It is just like the 4wd sct's out there (except for AE and Traxxas).
Old 03-10-2011, 06:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

As mentioned early on if you want something electric specific it's out you don't have to wait all you need to do is drop on by tekno-rc or any of it's resellers and grab a v4 conversion. All but the losi v4 has a very specific electric layout.

Important notes..

The only thing missing is a quick tray swap out system (man I have lots of ideas for this, just no way to build)

Single 4s lipo is the best choice for buggy, it's roar approved, you can get them in hard case and will be the most effecient for quick swaps w/ batteries expecially racing against nitro's in long mains. ?who wants to swap two packs, even worse when they are on oppisite sides?? really??

Anything lighter than an 808 or really any brand w/ the light weight parts results in durability loss. Most yes MOST will not want to sacrifice durability for a few oz to 1lb, including me

Anyway my 2c, just go buy tekno and QuitUrBellyAchin
Old 03-10-2011, 07:00 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SNIPR
Is Caster not purpose built? I thought they were the first to make a race ready electric buggy/truggy.?.?
I was basing it on what the OP was wanting.

The caster in my opinion can be considered a fir purpose built 1/8 electric, but I can see why some would argue its not since it has the look as if the battery trays were just added to the nitro chassis, like other conversions.

There new one though definitely looks more purpose built for sure, I really like how they now protect the battery trays fully instead of having part of them hanging off the end. There is a guy who has one who races at one of the tracks I went to last year and he is quite happy with it.

built ultimately I am not sure how much you can get away from saying they are all just converted 1/8 electrics as long as the suspension package is the same as the nitro version, as technically, you can just buy a conversion for it. (hyper 9e has a conversion for nitro out as an example).
Old 03-10-2011, 08:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Thank you, this is the information I was looking for - some incite Just really curious as to why no one recommends them? There's hardly any threads about their buggy/truggy. W/ exception to their new 1/10 Sniper thread...

Originally Posted by Cain
There new one though definitely looks more purpose built for sure, I really like how they now protect the battery trays fully instead of having part of them hanging off the end. There is a guy who has one who races at one of the tracks I went to last year and he is quite happy with it.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:48 AM
Tech Legend

I have seen a few threads, but I think parts of the reasons may be:

- Past experiences prior to caster racing really stepping it up (they admit the previous stuff from what back in the day was bad)
- Not promoted like AE or others with a superstar big name
- Not available at the likes of Amain hobbies or tower

I think if Caster Racing had a really big name with a really big win and had distribution at say Amainhobbies, you probably would probably see much more of them. There vehicles I think are really good.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SNIPR
Thank you, this is the information I was looking for - some incite Just really curious as to why no one recommends them? There's hardly any threads about their buggy/truggy. W/ exception to their new 1/10 Sniper thread...
I think their lack of popularity comes from what Cain has said, but also from their initial poor quality on their first generation of cars. The diff out drives were made from poor quality material, the battery trays were junk, etc. One guy at our local track had the battery trays break on the very first run. Their stuff may have improved since then, but the first impression in many people's minds has not. Combine that with poor availability of parts(lack of distribution) and you don't have a good recipe for success or popularity.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:03 AM
Tech Legend

I can honestly say though I am VERY curious to see what they come out with for a version 2.0 of the car (I think the current one is 1.5?). They did a good amount of changes to the first car in the 1.5, I want to see what else they can improve on. They have been very responsive to there customers to get things fixed from what I can tell. If they go the lightweight route and pickup a big name, watch out!
Old 03-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Right now we are doing r&d in Asia on the new 1/8 stuff. I personally want to wait for the hype of the Agama/Team Durango/JQ to die down so the plan is beginning 2012 for the new stuff. This is not mean't as a slam, but it is very nice to see those companies having "issues" also as it proves that our cars are actually very good.

Yes, we fully and openly have and always will ask for and identifyand ADMIT and FIX issues that Caster vehicles have.

We already have sorted the issues on the sniper drivetrain and we did it in less than 30 days productionwise, 60 shipping wise. We will have a version 2 that should be arriving next week.

As for the "true brushless 1/8" as far as I am concerned, we did it, but there are reasons behind everything. Obviously, any manufacturer wants as many parts to be similar as possible, so that is why we did what we did.

Dustin has a very radical design that we could have done 2 years ago, but ROAR and RCPro would have had a heart attack and I was concerned about how tough it would be. There is nothing worse than having a product that has been lightened up to 1/10 scale running in 1/8 because it is fragile like a 1/10 and back then we certainly didn't need any more "problems"
Old 03-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
that robitronic one is pretty cool:

Description from robitronic says it weights in at around 3kg – race ready.
that is the baddest looking rc car i have ever seen!!! anyone heard of a release date?
Old 03-10-2011, 12:17 PM
Tech Legend

end of 2011 they are saying so they can work out an issues.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hakmazter

it is very nice to see those companies having "issues" also as it proves that our cars are actually very good.
Other cars have issues, so that means our cars are good.
That's like saying a pile of dog poop good because there is another bigger pile of dog poop next to it.

It's not a perfect analogy because the other cars are actually very good, but you are implying that they aren't.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:06 PM
Tech Legend

I think he meant that even the cars that people consider "good" have issues just like there's.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

Yes, but from the 1 guy who ran caster last year, the quality had some big issues. He was lucky to finish a 10 minute race!
Old 03-10-2011, 01:37 PM
Tech Legend

What version was he running was it the sport or the full on pro?
Old 03-10-2011, 01:39 PM
Tech Elite

I'm not sure, could have been the pro? I'm pretty sure it was. Not that I'm saying Caster can't improve, but from what I've seen their parts aren't the bomb.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.