Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
When will a 100% brushless 1/8 buggy come out? >

When will a 100% brushless 1/8 buggy come out?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When will a 100% brushless 1/8 buggy come out?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 11:19 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

another to add:

RB One

Old 03-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default nice

i love the Robitronics,it is amazing what a little color and bling can do. Im sure more carbon fiber and weight savings will come..ty reub
Old 03-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Tech Champion

All the chassis we are talking about have one thing in common: two lipos. I think this is the way the class will go for an evident reason of balance. I didn't know either about the RB, good news! Can't wait to see how the class will grow
Old 03-09-2011, 11:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pulse_
Nothing is cheap in competition. The 1/8 brushless class won't be at all that is for sure. But all the improvements I'm talking can be done and would have a huge effect on the performance. A brushless 1/8 buggy shouldn't be over 3kg. Really. The power is already more than enough so lets play on the weight. Lighter chassis, lighter motor, lighter lipos necessary for the same range etc etc.. This isn't just a dream or some sort of speculation, this is what the market will facilitate in the future because all the manufacturers will be fighting to have the best car. There is a HUGE market for electric cars. Wingracer got my point: I'm talking about optimization. You think brushless buggies are fast around a track? They could be a lot more.
You mean like the converted Losi 810? I've read about several, and the dramatic weight reduction doesn't seem to do what we hoped. Maybe some setup changes and putting the car in the hands of more drivers. There are several threads about projects going on a couple different forums, check them out.

I'd be happy with something that used ONE BATTERY, not two little 10th scale packs. Something that weighs the same as a nitro, no more or less. Something that can interchange many of its parts with existing cars. That way, we don't end up like the Durango fans waiting for YEARS to see anything hit the shelves of our LHS. Something like a stretched 810, 8th scale without the excess weight, and good parts support.

The 8th scale buggy you dream of is simply that... a dream, at least for now. The Losi 8ight changed how all nitro buggies are designed. Maybe they'll do it again with a slightly longer 810... YOU HEAR ME TLR?!?!?!?! GET TO WORK!!!
Old 03-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Tech Champion

I checked these threads. I did a light 808 myself with a 550 can motor (SC4X 5.5T), 2s lipos and MMP. The 808 weighted 3kg exactly. The ESC didn't hold up but the car did great. Actually the MMP is crap in a 1/8 scale, I even managed to fry it on a 1400kv 6s setup... I think II'll try it again with an RX8 to see how it goes.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I checked these threads. I did a light 808 myself with a 550 can motor (SC4X 5.5T), 2s lipos and MMP. The 808 weighted 3kg exactly. The ESC didn't hold up but the car did great. Actually the MMP is crap in a 1/8 scale, I even managed to fry it on a 1400kv 6s setup... I think II'll try it again with an RX8 to see how it goes.
One of the "options" I've been looking into to power a light weight 8th scale, is this little beauty right here:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Package-2400kV
Old 03-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Tech Champion

I knew you'd talk about it . It's a 4 pole motor right? But seriously I wouldn't run it with an MMP. I fried two of them in their first runs and I checked everything. I just hate this ESC
Old 03-09-2011, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

The 810e is money on the track. My only criticism is the parts quality is not quite on par with what you expect from a typical 1/8 kit (a la Mugen or Xray). If Losi made the 810 with the same parts quality that the 8ight has, they would be on to something imho. The car is close enough with the optional upgrades, but it is still not quite there compared to true kit 1/8 cars.

I've run the castle 1415 in my 810 and it runs ultra cool and is on par with any regular 8th scale system.

I just don't think you are going to see significant performance gains anytime soon in 1/8. The current platforms more than get the job done.

The only real area to make improvements imho is weight of the cars but again, ROAR rules indirectly influence what manufacturers are willing to invest in. No point in having a sub 3200 gram car if the Factory guys can't win a title with it. A mfg would have to be very visionary (kind of like Traxxas) to basically create a new class of vehicle and not really give a damn about ROAR. Most of the true racing companies don't have the vision or the deep pockets to take those kind of risks.

Where you will likely see some improvements is with the ESCs and battery technology. However, none of the improvements are going to really show up at the tracks anytime soon. ROAR is still sitting on their thumbs about the whole 4s stuff while the rest of the world has moved on to high voltage. Hell, even power tools have upped voltage amounts... I saw a 6s electric lawnmower at Home Depot the other day and 18.5 volt drills.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Edumakated
Hell, even power tools have upped voltage amounts... I saw a 6s electric lawnmower at Home Depot the other day and 18.5 volt drills.
Hell 18.5 Volt is the new old compared to my 19.2 Volt Cordless
Old 03-09-2011, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Manshoon
Hell 18.5 Volt is the new old compared to my 19.2 Volt Cordless
LOL. My point exactly.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:53 PM
Tech Legend

who knows with a lot of 3S packs coming in ROAR style form now, maybe they will up the voltage in the future. not like you are gaining an advantage here.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

All the chassis we are talking about have one thing in common: two lipos. I think this is the way the class will go for an evident reason of balance. I didn't know either about the RB, good news! Can't wait to see how the class will grow
When I decided to go electric, finding a car built for electric was my main concern. You're right, there aren't many out there. I ended up with the VE8 with the HHH chassis, the main draw of this chassis being that it enabled me to run the split lipos. The new Mugen electric buggy also allows this along with the others mentioned. It's funny though, there seems to be three trends. Front weight bias, even side to side weight and low center of gravity. So far you can pick two. If you run a 4s pack you have more options to move the weight around but you lose the low center of gravity, if you run the saddle pack configuration then you lose the front weight bias, while the side to side weight bias should be achievable with either setup. It will be interesting to see if someone can combine all of these concepts.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:04 PM
Tech Legend

one thing I have wondered was if they could do a saddle pack style setup with the lipos up front and the other electronics moved back.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Tech Elite

Maybe. I really wish they would up the voltage to at least 3s for the 4wd short course class. These cars are basically 1/8 vehicles in size and weight. My Losi almost weighs nearly 2900 grams RTR. Running these cars on 2s is just plain stupid. The systems are at the edge of their performance capability.

I guess it works for running these little short 6 minute mains on small tracks, but I know a lot of guys rather run 10-12 minute mains with these cars, not to mention trying to run them on larger outdoor tracks. Plus, I hate having to constantly check temps, worrying if that 2s pack has enough C to withstand the amp draw. Makes no sense to me to limit it if the technology is there for a more reliable and longer running system at the same cost as the lower voltage system. Higher turn motors cost the exact same as the lower turn motors. Same with the batteries. Some clubs have already started allowing 3s.

It will be really interesting to see what develops over the next couple of years though. I actually think it could be kind of cool to see 1/8 scale SC truggies....or maybe make the bodies on the existing truggies so that they wheels are covered.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

How come no one is talking about or buying the Caster brand?

1:10 S10B Sniper Pro
1:10 Delta Forces Elite US Spec Carbon Edition

1:8 EX 1.5R Factory Pro
1:8 F8T Factory Pro

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.