Wiki Posts
Search

AKA Tire Thread - Information

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 02:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stipres
Same as you would if you were punching only the tire but you use the wheel as the hard back for the punch to pierce thru the rubber. Normally, the foam will get a hole punched in it as well but it will be hardly noticeable.

Teufel, thanks for the right ups! We continue to get positive feedback on the Typos from around the country. Honesty, we can hardly keep them in stock right now, especially the clay compound. In-and-out as fast as we get them.
Pres,

You're welcome. Though related to a specific track and/or track condition, I hope it helps for what it's worth should someone else encounter a similar set of conditions that may prove favorable to the use of the new tires.

Funny that you guys can't keep them in stock, though that's a good thing. Means, to me at least, you guys have done exactly what you wanted to do. My local track/shop can't keep them in stock for too long either. If you see them and don't jump on them, they'll be gone for sure. I know, I grab a pair or set every time they got some. LOL.

There is one thing I'm keeping an eye on at the moment. The front tires. Specifically the foams. Seems I have a couple pairs that have got a slight air gap between the tire and foam. I don't think it's because of the use of sauce so much, but could have played a part. I'm thinking the front foams, at least the ones I have, are either ever so slightly undersized in the tire or are breaking down/in/wearing a little bit too much. I do run my RB6 in MM and have a little more front weight with all of the elec. stuff up front (ESC and Rx behind the servo). So it's hard to say for sure at the moment, but I'm keeping an eye on them for sure. They don't seem to be having any adverse affects on the track, but past experience in tires that have ballooned a bit from over saucing, the foams seem to take a little more of a beating than when the tire/foam fitment was new and tight.

Other than that one little thing, I'm for sure sold on the new products. Always loved the AKA tires for 1/8th and now the 1/10th is just getting better and better. Keep up the good work.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Has anyone tried punching holes in the rims rather the tires? Any difference in performance?

I'm hoping that there isn't. I want to switch because I'm sick of getting the foams wet and then having them take forever to dry. No matter how careful I am while cleaning, it never fails... foams will still get wet.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob Barry
Has anyone tried punching holes in the rims rather the tires? Any difference in performance?

I'm hoping that there isn't. I want to switch because I'm sick of getting the foams wet and then having them take forever to dry. No matter how careful I am while cleaning, it never fails... foams will still get wet.
I have started doing this on some of my tires. I run on an indoor track where getting crap built up in the tire is less of a concern than ruining foams when cleaning tires.

With the Red AKA inserts i have had no issue venting at the rim.

I wouldn't even consider it an option however if i was on a track that would get alot of sand/dirt/debris into the wheel. All my outdoor tires are vented at the tire.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:58 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Venting the rim also has the benefit of keeping traction compounds away from the foam if your track(s) call for that.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

yeah I should have stated that. This is only for my indoor tires such as my handlebars / typos.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:49 AM
Tech Regular

I really liked my typos but I'm having a hard time purchasing any more until someone says these aren't just going to be illegal anyway.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob Barry

I vent the wheel on all of our indoor tires.

Originally Posted by Davidka
Venting the rim also has the benefit of keeping traction compounds away from the foam if your track(s) call for that.
Mainly for this reason.

When CC inserts first came out, they were solid. You had to vent the tire because the air would get trapped in the tire and the foam would not let it escape. Now, with most companies using lateral grooves (AKA and others) or circumferential grooves (Pro Line) there is a place for the air to escape through the wheel vents. But for outdoor I still vent the tire.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Barge
I really liked my typos but I'm having a hard time purchasing any more until someone says these aren't just going to be illegal anyway.
Outside of a few races I can think of, the legality of the new AKA's shouldn't be much of a concern, which for most racers it isn't. Not sure why you'd let that sway you, but to each is own
Old 01-13-2014, 05:22 AM
Tech Elite

In my continued long term testing/use of the new Typo's, things seem to be getting better each time out.

In my latest race day with the new tires, I sauced with Med. Protek on the rears only, as soon as I had got to the track. Then I just let them sit and dry. That was about 2 hours before racing began, maybe more like 1.5 hours. We ran 3 heats and mains, so with 4 sets for the 2wd, I was able to run each set once for the day.

The track was about it's normal traction level for a race day. Med. high to high. Most racers usually sauce before each heat/main, which on this day, was the case. In keeping with my theory of saucing once for the day, I went that route. It seemed to work out just as I had hoped it would. I ran my sets in order from oldest to newest, and didn't feel any real difference between them too much. As the race day went along, I was pulling wheelies in my MM RB6 on the straight, even though I hadn't sauced since I had got to the track. I think the track may have helped in that some, but I think I may have got my tires just about to where I want them. The only down side for me was I probably could have sauced the fronts just a tad and have been better. With the rears having been sauced and not the fronts, I think I had a little too much rear traction, and not quite enough on the front. May try some Light Protek on the fronts in the future, just to get a little more front bite.

I also got to run the Typo's on the wheeler, which I had been looking forward to doing for a little while. The wheeler class is a bit hit or miss as of late, so I hadn't put a ton of time on it with the new tires. On my last trip out to the races, I didn't get to race the wheeler, but did a little practice on the new tires. Went with the heavy Protek on the rears and med. Protek on the fronts, just as I had done with the 2wd tires when new. The track was pretty dry, so with the new tires it wasn't as hooked up as I would have liked, but was manageable.

On the latest race day, we actually had a wheeler class, and I was really looking forward to running the new tires again. This time around the track had a lot more traction to work with. I started with the heavy Protek on the rears and med. Protek on the fronts, sauced early and let sit. I also ran a set of my Barcodes to have something to compare to. I hadn't run those tires in a while, but they had been the go to tire. I went with med. Protek all around on that set early in the day. Between the two sets, I had more traction with the barcodes than the Typo's, but I think the Typo's felt better. Being the newer set, I don't think the Typo's had come in all the way. Whereas, the Barcodes had been sauced/used a good bit more. Sadly, my wheeler wasn't wanting to play nice for the day and was having issues with the car. Motor and ESC didn't want to run as cool as it normally does. I do think that the Typo's for the wheeler, once they come in a little more, will be just as good as they are on the 2wd.

For the 2wd guys at the local track, it appears that the new Typo's have become the preferred tire over the old standard Barcodes. The results for the guys that do have the new Typo's are proving every time that they are the better tire for the local track.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:31 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Teufel Racing
Outside of a few races I can think of, the legality of the new AKA's shouldn't be much of a concern, which for most racers it isn't. Not sure why you'd let that sway you, but to each is own
Since the new wheels are illegal by ROAR standards, we cant even run the new Evo wheels/inserts at a club race at my local track...they felt awesome btw(ss typo's)
Old 01-13-2014, 07:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Trevor Williams
Since the new wheels are illegal by ROAR standards, we cant even run the new Evo wheels/inserts at a club race at my local track...they felt awesome btw(ss typo's)
If your track outlaws them for club racing. You should propose a tech inspection for every car before and after every heat as well, since weekly club racing is so serious right?

Banning these on a club level is a dis-service to both the track, and the racers IMO.

I think the ROAR issue will become a non issue soon anyway.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

How's the stadium truck tires coming along?
Old 01-13-2014, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

[QUOTE=We continue to get positive feedback on the Typos from around the country. Honesty, we can hardly keep them in stock right now, especially the clay compound. In-and-out as fast as we get them.[/QUOTE]

Because it is hands down the best rear tire in the game right now, no break in time, just mount them up and wham... traction a go-go... If I could fine them locally I would buy more.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

What tracks are you guys running clay compounds on? What types of surface are they made for?

We have a local track with a really weird clay/topsoil mix. It's slippery/greasy to walk on, but as long as it's moist, slicks hook up pretty well. Worn in super-soft Barcodes/Protons/Suburbs work as well if you're using the right traction additive. Most are running AKA inserts in the rear, and open cell up front (Mod 2WD buggy).

I've been running super-soft Handlebars with decent results, but I'm curious as to how a clay compound will perform.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by t0p_sh0tta
What tracks are you guys running clay compounds on? What types of surface are they made for?

We have a local track with a really weird clay/topsoil mix. It's slippery/greasy to walk on, but as long as it's moist, slicks hook up pretty well. Worn in super-soft Barcodes/Protons/Suburbs work as well if you're using the right traction additive. Most are running AKA inserts in the rear, and open cell up front (Mod 2WD buggy).

I've been running super-soft Handlebars with decent results, but I'm curious as to how a clay compound will perform.
Clay compound works on indoor wet surfaces like the one you describe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.