Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
What surface is best for a track. >

What surface is best for a track.

What surface is best for a track.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

I'm really not too picky....seems most people complain SOOO much.. . omg its too loose, too much grip, this isnt onroad, I want bigger jumps, they only have big jumps so the cars break and we need parts, etc etc...

The only thing I dont really care for is a track that is too technical with no real high speed sections or flow... I also prefer larger tracks. The track I race on most is an 1/8 scale track.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:05 PM
Tech Regular

I have to agree with that, a day racing on any sort of track is far better than a day of work.........BB
Old 03-07-2011, 06:30 PM
Tech Addict

I love smooth and flowing and fast. I hate highly technical tracks. It's racing.....not extreme aerial acrobatics.

Some people seem to think that it's great to have all of these highly technical jumps and such just to see what kind of acrobatics they can make their car do.....and they think the tuffer the better.

It's called r a c i n g ! Not stunt driving.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:33 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

why not mix it all have a sand section have some clay have some high grip stuff etc
Old 03-07-2011, 06:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by antleo
why not mix it all have a sand section have some clay have some high grip stuff etc

Sand??? Really???
Old 03-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Tech Regular

I could have fun with a sand section, but it depends on what's racing on the track. Some offroad rc's aren't designed to be run in loose dirt, open gears and nothing is sealed very well. Now if your running SCT's or 1/8 scale a sand section would be fun as long as there wasn't to much.......BB
Old 03-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Tech Regular

I like hard pack dirt. When it's moist, it's nice and tacky and when it drys out, it is looser and loamy.

No offensive to anyone, but I would be really disappointed if my track had a high grip clay surface with 'static' conditions. The change of the track throughout the race day is one of the challenges I really enjoy.

As for layout, which seems to be the side topic, again, I consider myself to be very lucky there also. Kevin Jelich at NorCal Hobbies is an awesome track builder and always seems to have a perfect mix of flowing speed plus technical layouts. Elevation changes, off-camber, sweepers, rhythm sections, step-downs, up the hill, down the hill...his tracks seem to have it all and I am very fortunate to have it 20 minutes away.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by iThinman

As for layout, which seems to be the side topic, again, I consider myself to be very lucky there also. Kevin Jelich at NorCal Hobbies is an awesome track builder and always seems to have a perfect mix of flowing speed plus technical layouts. Elevation changes, off-camber, sweepers, rhythm sections, step-downs, up the hill, down the hill...his tracks seem to have it all and I am very fortunate to have it 20 minutes away.

Oh sure, rub it in why don't you.......BB
Old 03-10-2011, 09:02 PM
Tech Regular

I haven't even seen my RC track since September. Here's what it looks like now:

Result of a recent winter storm we had. Gonna have to deal with that sooner or later:

Old 03-10-2011, 09:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dirtracer1
I love smooth and flowing and fast. I hate highly technical tracks. It's racing.....not extreme aerial acrobatics.

Some people seem to think that it's great to have all of these highly technical jumps and such just to see what kind of acrobatics they can make their car do.....and they think the tuffer the better.

It's called r a c i n g ! Not stunt driving.
I guess you are not a fan of Supercross racing. Rhythm sections are fun and add a different kind of challenge to racing.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by CR0SS
I guess you are not a fan of Supercross racing. Rhythm sections are fun and add a different kind of challenge to racing.
If you wanna test the offroad worthiness of your rig, try running it on my track
Old 03-11-2011, 11:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by K-Note72

Result of a recent winter storm we had. Gonna have to deal with that sooner or later:

I'm sure she'll be beautiful come spring!!!Wish I had space for a track at my house
Old 03-11-2011, 03:02 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by K-Note72
Looks like it needs some work, fire up the rototiller and get to work........BB
Old 03-11-2011, 03:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If I were to design my own track (one of those things I'm going to take care of when I hit the powerball) here's what I'd do:

An indoor track, where not one tire will be good on every part of the track. Surfaces would consist of the following?

- Hard-packed clay
- Loose Topsoil
- Polished Concrete/Floor Tile
- Indoor/Outdoor Carpet
- Cobblestone/Brick

I like me a driver's track
Old 03-11-2011, 03:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I pretty much am the opposite. I hope Kevin decides to go back to getting the track to groove up. Predictability in surface attracts more people on a regular basis. With the Nats coming you are gonna have to get use to "Static" track conditions.
Originally Posted by iThinman
I like hard pack dirt. When it's moist, it's nice and tacky and when it drys out, it is looser and loamy.

No offensive to anyone, but I would be really disappointed if my track had a high grip clay surface with 'static' conditions. The change of the track throughout the race day is one of the challenges I really enjoy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.