Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traxxas mini summit what a POS!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 01:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Was your Mini Summit the brushed version? If so, were you trying to run it on 2 packs in series? If so, the ESC will go poof every time since it's only rated for 8 cells in series - you can run 2 packs in parallel, but not in series with the xl2.5. When we were selling the brushed mini E-Revos we had tons of so-called "veterans" who bought them and then proceeded to blow them up within seconds because they can't read.

Even if you have the bl version - the truck is NOT meant to run on 2 packs in series for continued use. Not only does it overheat the motor and esc, but that much voltage going through the BEC will actually cause the receiver and servos to fail over time.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:32 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by FTSC10
welcome to the wonderful world of owning traxxas junk!

sucks that their products are suffering so much, everything they make "new" is the same damn crap thats been out for years, its just rebadged, or recolored, or a different bodys tossed on.

just be glad you didnt order the fullsize summit, ive seen a few in action, just bigger more expensive peices of crap.

this is why i sold off all my traxxas garbage! when the 3rd esc fried in my slash4x4...and traxxas told me to get bent {that it must be user abuse/misuse} i told them to get F'd. ive been in this hobby 20+ years, it aint my first rodeo!
Not ALL of Traxxas stuff is junk, just the cheap half-baked concepts that they base on the original models. Slash, E-Revo, Revo, Summit, E-Maxx and the Rustler are good design. Mini Slash, mini E-Revo, and mini Summit are such cheap crappy concepts. The Slash 4x4 and Stampede 4x4 are the only real good concepts.

The mini Summit is a FAIL cuz its a mini road-racer trying to run the high-load
of offroading of the regular Summit. With a measly $100 you could just buy a few parts & turn your MERV into a mini summit, that is if you wanted to.......
Old 03-10-2011, 03:38 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by SloRacer1080
Pillow balls... They are really Pivot balls in my opinion, but they are known as pillow balls for some odd reason. Dunno why, they deff aren't soft and fluffy.

Oh and to remove the slop you have 2 options. Traxxas now makes a screw in cap for them. It allows you to tighten them up in the knuckles. Or RPM make some knuckles that have adjustable pivot ball tensioners. I have the RPM ones, love em.

I'm surprised to hear you having such a bad time to be honest. I have a mini revo and the thing is a tank. It only has some simple upgrades, like steel cvds, alum shocks and alum rockers, but thats it. I have literally beaten the snot out of this little guy and it keeps coming back for more. I've had it at least 12 feet in the air jumping down a flight of stairs, granted when it landed (on all 4 wheels btw) it blew off a battery door Besides that, they only other thing I broke was a front body mount. That was from being at a bad angle to my ramp. I missed the ramp completely, and smacked into a curb head on at about 75% of top speed. It bounced off the curb probly 5 feet, and yet all that was broke was the body mount. It's probably my most durable rc besides my 1/8 truggy.
I recount an instance out of a few others that my merv took a beating like a champ! I was running it down the road & was curving it into the driveway, but didn't curve enough & it ramped up a dirt bank @25. A full 2 second airtime if I'm not mistaken. I went to see damage control, & all that was missing was a pushrod screw. It didn't break off or anything, over time it just backed out.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:47 PM
Tech Regular

BS, like mentioned, ive been in this hobby for over 20 years, i know what the hell im doing...its not like there arent TONS of people out there having issues with vxl esc's and there junk motors that run way to damn hot!

none of them were abused,or misused in any way! traxxas just builds/markets/sells PURE garbage.

hell, the replacement ESC made it 15 feet from the couch, to the front door while waiting on a buddy to get his battery in, and it PUFFED the magic smoke...

F traxxas and anything/everything they ever will sell.
15 feet from the couch......my slash vxl so far has made it 18 months down the road. My merv only faced a meltdown when i tried to run 2 venoms in series, and in which i hear LOTS about venom's track record. a free warrantry replaced esc/$20 protek lipo/7 months of nonstop use later, it's still running strong. did you try using a different setup?

FYI i hear Novak makes Traxxas's ESC's
Old 03-10-2011, 04:54 PM
Tech Adept

BS, like mentioned, ive been in this hobby for over 20 years, i know what the hell im doing...its not like there arent TONS of people out there having issues with vxl esc's and there junk motors that run way to damn hot!

none of them were abused,or misused in any way! traxxas just builds/markets/sells PURE garbage.

hell, the replacement ESC made it 15 feet from the couch, to the front door while waiting on a buddy to get his battery in, and it PUFFED the magic smoke...

F traxxas and anything/everything they ever will sell.
Just because you have been in the hobby for " over 20 years" that does not mean you " know what the hell you are doing" or are any good at it. I have been drawing for 20 years and im by no mean good or know what i'm doing.

I have owned 4 traxxas vehicles and everything that broke was MY FAULT. It sounds to me like you cannot operate RC vehicle properly and I am qute worried about you even being on the road in a real vehicle.

I say, F you and anything/everything you will ever do. Good day chap
Old 03-10-2011, 05:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SubarooMike
Just because you have been in the hobby for " over 20 years" that does not mean you " know what the hell you are doing" or are any good at it.
Haha, kinda what I was thinking.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:09 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by SubarooMike
Just because you have been in the hobby for " over 20 years" that does not mean you " know what the hell you are doing" or are any good at it. I have been drawing for 20 years and im by no mean good or know what i'm doing.

I have owned 4 traxxas vehicles and everything that broke was MY FAULT. It sounds to me like you cannot operate RC vehicle properly and I am qute worried about you even being on the road in a real vehicle.

I say, F you and anything/everything you will ever do. Good day chap
Old 03-10-2011, 09:26 PM
Tech Adept

The mini summit vxl is known to have an esc problem, probably a bad batch, traxxas replaces them and life goes on unless you get some bad luck, and even then its part of the hobby and the risk of buying a 50mph mini speeder. My big e-revo got me staying in the hobby after bad nitro experience, and yes it broke, but always after brutal abuse, things i wouldnt do to a race vehicle, though i know some would take it, and with rpm arms it became indestructible until one cold winter day the chassis broke after flying 30 feet for 2 hours with mostly cased landings. So like most here i no more run traxxas but they get my love and one day i certainly will repair my erbe, every other car i had and didnt use for 2 months got sold otherwise.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:46 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by hoousi
The mini summit vxl is known to have an esc problem, probably a bad batch, traxxas replaces them and life goes on unless you get some bad luck, and even then its part of the hobby and the risk of buying a 50mph mini speeder. My big e-revo got me staying in the hobby after bad nitro experience, and yes it broke, but always after brutal abuse, things i wouldnt do to a race vehicle, though i know some would take it, and with rpm arms it became indestructible until one cold winter day the chassis broke after flying 30 feet for 2 hours with mostly cased landings. So like most here i no more run traxxas but they get my love and one day i certainly will repair my erbe, every other car i had and didnt use for 2 months got sold otherwise.
Yeah all i had to do with my merv was pop the esc in a tiny box, pay $4 for shipping
and VOILA a brand new esc. but you dont pop a speedster esc into something thats supposed to be the mini-concept of a crawler.

as for my slash, the only STOCK part that broke was a castor block from impacting a steel post at 30mph. The only other parts to follow the breaking pattern were Integy "upgrades" . No more integy parts, back to stock, many crashes later and nothing more than the occasional screw backing out.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

thats Crappus products for you. There a dime a dozen bucket of bolts IMO.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:08 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by BuggyKing
thats Crappus products for you. There a dime a dozen bucket of bolts IMO.
ive seen worse from many other brands. Traxxas isnt top notch, but they're definitely nowhere near worst.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:24 AM
Tech Initiate

Wow this tuned into a cage fight lol...

Anyway like I said I don't hate traxxas I've had many good experiences with them, but this truck is a complete FAIL on there part! Yea you can throw the esc in a box for 4 bucks and get a new one, and I understand shit happens from time to time. You should not have to spend 2 weeks waiting on parts for every 10 min you play with it though. That is completely unacceptable. Like I said it has a 1/10 scale vxl controller in it now cause that's what they sent me the last time, so maybe I won't have anymore esc problems. Could not tell you cause just like the broken cv shafts, nobody local has the servo either. So to the back of the closet it goes and more bitching from the wife about how I waisted $300.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Sackamous-
I gotta ask, how do you keep breaking cv shafts? What kind of battery setup you using, what's the gearing at? Are you bashing it really hardcore? Totally not trying to be rude, I just don't get it, thats all.

I can feel you on the servo part. While my merv was still a rally, it went through 3 of them before I got one that lasted. Is it just the gears or does the servo stop working completely? If it's just the gears, PM me your info, I have like 3 gear sets sitting here that I got as a precaution. I'll drop one in an envelope and send it your way. By the way HiTec and Savox both make MG servos that will fit this chassis. I also spent the money on the traxxas steel cvds and they have been great, just an fyi.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Traxxas stuff is pretty much just junk, even the E-Revo. Hobby Shops love them because they can get kits cheap directly from Traxxas and the repairs bring in a lot of money for the shop. I worked in a hobby shop back in 2001-2002 and all we did all day long was fix T-maxx and E-maxx trucks. I have worked on the newer stuff and the quality really hasn't improved much. For as many people as they get into the hobby, they probably drive twice that number out of the hobby.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:26 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Originally Posted by K-Note72
15 feet from the couch......my slash vxl so far has made it 18 months down the road. My merv only faced a meltdown when i tried to run 2 venoms in series, and in which i hear LOTS about venom's track record. a free warrantry replaced esc/$20 protek lipo/7 months of nonstop use later, it's still running strong. did you try using a different setup?

FYI i hear Novak makes Traxxas's ESC's
Novak makes a few of them for traxxas...not sure if they make all of them, honestly it wouldnt surprise me..

novak is junk too, usually once a week we see one puff the magic smoke at the track...

did i try a different setup? sure did, i either sold the traxxas garbage vehicles/electronics, or pitched em in the trash!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.