Wiki Posts
Search

Fixing a Novak motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 11:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)
Default Fixing a Novak motor

I've got an old SS 10.5 motor that lost ALL power and sounds like crap and a Ballistic 13.5 that I think has a bad sensor board. I'd love to get either of these going so can I cannibalize 1 and fix the other?

If not, can someone point me in the direction of where to buy a new sensor board? Or will changing the stator in the 10.5 fix it?

Basically I want the cheapest way to get at least 1 of these going.

Thanks.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Weird, I couldnt find the ballistic sensor anywhere but novak:

http://www.shopatron.com/products/pr...56.56692.0.0.0

For the 10.5 that sounds like crap and has no power, that sounds like a stator issue to me. Have you checked the bearings? Thats the first thing i did when mine did that and it turned out to be the insulation melted off the inside of the stator. Made a pretty nasty grinding sound, but it wasnt grinding anything...

I dont have one of their SS motors, and im not sure anything is interchangeable except maybe the rotor? According to novak's site, their rotors are interchangeable as long as the endbell bearings are the same.

Novak has a rep that frequents these threads, so hopefully he will chime in and point you in the right direction.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Thanks for the post. The stators are proprietary to the Ballistic line as far as I can tell so a bad stator in the SS motor does me no good. Personally I think the SS is a FAR better motor than the ballistic but this one is old. Haven't opened it up yet but good idea.

Probably throw them both in the junk pile o' electronics I have in my shop and buy new.

Thanks for the link. I've heard and experienced that the ballistic sensor boards are super fragile so not sure what to do. I'll definitely consider this though.

Originally Posted by GizmoJunkie
Weird, I couldnt find the ballistic sensor anywhere but novak:

http://www.shopatron.com/products/pr...56.56692.0.0.0

For the 10.5 that sounds like crap and has no power, that sounds like a stator issue to me. Have you checked the bearings? Thats the first thing i did when mine did that and it turned out to be the insulation melted off the inside of the stator. Made a pretty nasty grinding sound, but it wasnt grinding anything...

I dont have one of their SS motors, and im not sure anything is interchangeable except maybe the rotor? According to novak's site, their rotors are interchangeable as long as the endbell bearings are the same.

Novak has a rep that frequents these threads, so hopefully he will chime in and point you in the right direction.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:32 AM
Company Representative

You can trade-in both of your motors for about the price of purchasing one new motor; if you prefer SS Pros, you can trade for 2 SS [email protected]/46.00 each (any wind).

If your Ballistic is under warranty contact [email protected] with the serial number and we will send you service parts at no charge. Any questions, let me know.

Originally Posted by Neu_Racer
Thanks for the post. The stators are proprietary to the Ballistic line as far as I can tell so a bad stator in the SS motor does me no good. Personally I think the SS is a FAR better motor than the ballistic but this one is old. Haven't opened it up yet but good idea.

Probably throw them both in the junk pile o' electronics I have in my shop and buy new.

Thanks for the link. I've heard and experienced that the ballistic sensor boards are super fragile so not sure what to do. I'll definitely consider this though.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:50 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
You can trade-in both of your motors for about the price of purchasing one new motor; if you prefer SS Pros, you can trade for 2 SS [email protected]/46.00 each (any wind).

If your Ballistic is under warranty contact [email protected] with the serial number and we will send you service parts at no charge. Any questions, let me know.
instead of trading in your broken motors to get more motors that will break maybe you should get something worth wile. Novak rubbed me the wrong way with their customer service and products. I'd buy something from hobbyking before I'll give them any more of my money. Just something to consider. Maybe you loved your motors before they broke.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The ballistic sensor board is different than the ss, you can adjust it. But if you can get the old ss board to sit in the same position, it would work. I did this with 2 velociti's I had, 1 with burned up stator and 1 burned sensor. You simpy unsolder the 3 prongs off end of stator, theres your sensor board. Don't know if its capatable, you'll have to open both ends and take a look. Maybe even take the sensor board out of the ballistic, it's bad anyway, to see if it will work. Just make sure you mark the can for timing position before removing, getting ready for my second season of my velociti 7.5 franken motor.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by teamgeicoblitz
instead of trading in your broken motors to get more motors that will break maybe you should get something worth wile. Novak rubbed me the wrong way with their customer service and products. I'd buy something from hobbyking before I'll give them any more of my money. Just something to consider. Maybe you loved your motors before they broke.
For every guy like you there is a guy like me who has had nothing but great CS and performance from Novak.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Or two guys like you who have had nothing but great CS and performance from Novak.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Or a guy who has seen every Novak system at our local track go up in flames....

But thats me...
Old 03-04-2011, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I've used nothing but orange stuff off and on for over 20 years and have had 1 and only 1 esc let the smoke out that wasn't my fault. Orange, black, blue or green they all have a few that are just bad..