Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bj4?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 11:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Bj4?!?

I didn't even realize that they have started to ship orders!!!! I missed my email from them! Anyone here got theirs? Any feedbacks or reviews? Thx.

Gary
Old 08-17-2004, 12:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

You got 500 bones to spend? I hear they are supposed to be as good if not better than the XXX4
Old 08-17-2004, 01:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

I"m suprise we don't have any more threads on it...but yea...I have about 500 to spend...hehe....just want some feedbacks from folks that has driven it before. For me the best appeal is maintenance....no belts and the construction is very straight forward and simple..

G
Old 08-17-2004, 01:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Mine is sitting at my house right now waiting for me to build it... atleast according to the tracking number it is at my house. I will let you know when I get done.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

get on the pre-order list and save 50$

If you missed your number because you never received the e-mail, contact them. They have been very forgiving from what I have heard. This due to spam elimination programs picking up on certain keywords, not allowing the e-mails to get through.

The build is nice, and logically set-up. There is barely enough clearance for the front cvd's to slip a piece of shrink tube on it, but it does fit. Dig out your file, the chassis will need prepping and sealing, especially for offroad.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

can you elaborate a little on the prepping and sealing?! I thought...the whole point of goign to a shaft drive is so that nothing needs to be covered or sealed....do you mean sealing aroudn teh diff cases?

G
Old 08-17-2004, 03:41 PM
Tech Master

No, not the diff housings, but that is a good point. It can't hurt to put a thin coating of clear diff grease around on the surfaces of the pumpkin where both pieces meet. This would help keep out traces of dust that can destroy bearings and the diff itself.

The BJ4 uses a carbon fiber weave chassis, much like that of a pan car or a BMI chassis for a touring car. The edges should be filed and sealed with CA (superglue). The battery slots need to be chamfered (per the manual) to allow the batteries to sit lower in the chassis, and to prevent the sharp edges of the cf chassis from cutting through the shrink wrap on the cells and causing a short. If the pack shorts on the chassis, it will cause a fire. I have seen this happen in 1/12th scale many times from lazy people that don't bother to file their slots. the battery slots need to be sealed, too. This will also provide a small amount of insulation. There is a good article on the CRC website for sealing a chassis properly.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

WARNING!
make sure u wear a mask when filing/sanding the chassis the filings are harmful u can also wet sand but i think it covers this in the crc article as well
WARNING!
Old 08-17-2004, 04:09 PM
Tech Master

cough cough

pansy as cough cough hack

pansyass

cough cough hack ackkkk blugh

Hey! look, a lung... what the f is all that black stuff!
Old 08-17-2004, 04:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

go ahead and die if u really want to buddy lol
Old 08-18-2004, 06:16 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I will get a chance next week to see a BJ4x4 up close.

From what I have read though people are quite happy with it. Only thing though is that it doesn't include tires and the lexan undertray needs to get made soon as the chassis plastic cover thing they provide isn't lasting that long and its costly.

If you got the money though, I don't see why you wouldn't be happy with it.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Thumbs up Lexan Undertray & Recent BJ4 Racing News

According to Jason (Rouna) the Undertray will be ready any day now. Maybe by the end of this week even! Talk about GREAT Customer Service from JCONCEPTS.... the Undertray was something a number of us were discussing over on the rc10b4.com forum. It was clear that those who don't always get to run on blue groove conditions need an Undertray to help keep dirt, dust, etc. out as well as help protect the woven graphite chassis..... well, JCONCEPTS responded by giving their Customers the option of purchasing what they wanted! It's Simply Fantastic! Kudos to Jason and the gang over at JCONCEPTS plus Congrats once again for winning the ROAR Stock Nationals just a week or two after it's official release to the public! Bravo guys!

By the way, here is a link to a thread on R/C-Tech discussing the BJ4 that was started almost a year ago not long after the IFMAR Worlds:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...0&pagenumber=1

Recent BJ4 Racing News:

Rod Rippee, The 2004 ROAR Stock Off Road National Champ, with Chris Baumgartner who finished 3rd overall in the 4WD Class.

Here is a write-up posted over that was posted on the Orion website with regards to the Event, the BJ4, and their Drivers:

Just weeks after JConcepts began shipping the newly released BJ4, 8 BJ4s made their way to the ROAR Stock Off Road Nationals in Chillicothe, MO, in an unmatched appearance. "I really had no time with the car before the Nats. I only got to practice with 4 battery packs before the first qualifier," said Rod Rippee.

"There were so many little things on the car that showed all of the thought that went into the car." Baumgartner stated. "From the steering stops on the hubs, the slot cut in the rear chassis so the rear diff can sit as low as possible, not to mention the way the entire front kick-up, diff case, and shock tower all flow together."

On July 23 and 24, qualifying rounds placed the BJ4s ahead early. With 2 rounds of qualifying on Friday, and 2 on Saturday, Rod Rippee and Chris Baumgartner, mastered the BJ4. Rippee set the fastest time of the weekend in the third round of qualifying and also won the fourth round by close to 4 seconds.

The much anticipated release of the JConcepts BJ4 lived up to expectation in the Triple A-Mains on Sunday, July 25. With 4 cars in the A-Main, Rippee, Baumgartner, Chad Knapp and Justin Dewey, the BJ4s demonstrated speed, accuracy, and superior handling. "Rod and I both joked that the shaft drive gave us a legal, but unfair, advantage," Baumgartner joked.

Rippee also had no problems with the mains; "I had a straight away lead after the second lap in both mains and never trailed in either." With two first place finishes in the first two A-Mains, there was no reason to run a third A-main; Rippee was the 2004 ROAR Stock Off Road National Champ with the BJ4!

Congrats to Rod Rippee, National Champ, and all BJ4 drivers!

Old 08-19-2004, 01:23 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Cain
I will get a chance next week to see a BJ4x4 up close.
That'd be my BJ4 It's at the post office right now ... I'll be picking it up later today. WOOT!

I'm sure it will preform great. The engineering looks to be top notch. About the only 'bad' thing I have heard about it is that the weight distribution is a bit biased to the left side of the car (due to battery placement) ... but it is supposed to be easily overcome by setting the preload properly.

The undertray will be one of the first 'upgrades' for my BJ4 too...

'nuff said,
MX4
Old 08-20-2004, 07:40 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Yokomo-MX4: I probably won't be able to bring my buggy ( my wife says we have a bigger bag to try but I don't think so ) but I will try and stop up saturday to check your vehicle out.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

so any reviews or after thoughts after building or driving the bj4?

G

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.