R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-23-2011, 03:33 PM   #1
Tech Elite
 
NitroXray80809's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bakersfield, California
Posts: 3,249
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Soft case V hard case lipos?

Is a soft case bad to use in a 1/8 car? Whats the diffrence, and why are some hard cased? Do soft cases break easier, etc etc? Thanks
__________________
Xray XB4 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Hobbywing | SpeedPassion | JC |

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:36 PM   #2
Moderator
 
Muggydude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,837
Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Default

Soft Case=no case. Just the foil and shrink wrap around the cells/pack. the hard case is the same thing, but with a hard plastic shell or carbon fiber shell around it to protect it. I would prefer hard case, to withsatnd 1/8 abuse. However, they weigh more and are limited in available configuriation.

My solution:

Order some cheap Turnigy packs from Hobbyking. $100 for two 6s packs! If one fails, oh well. $50 aint that bad. And in my experience Turnigy packs perform great. I also use foam on the bottom of my battery tray to help with impacts.
Muggydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic
 
GizmoJunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Suwanee, GA
Posts: 999
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Ive seen quite a few people running soft cases in E1/8th.

Not sure id recommend it though as any kind of problem, including flying debris (shattered gears, etc) have an increased chance to puncture the soft case. Depending on what you have of course. Seems like most E8 have gears spinning rite next to the battery...

Hard case provides a little extra insurance. I run hard case in my stuff simply because our tracks like to see it.
__________________
FT B4.1, FT SC10, FT B44; Tekin RS/Savox/D3's
HB D8/D8T - Werks/Buku/Savox
Airtronics
GizmoJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:48 PM   #4
Tech Elite
 
NitroXray80809's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bakersfield, California
Posts: 3,249
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
Soft Case=no case. Just the foil and shrink wrap around the cells/pack. the hard case is the same thing, but with a hard plastic shell or carbon fiber shell around it to protect it. I would prefer hard case, to withsatnd 1/8 abuse. However, they weigh more and are limited in available configuriation.

My solution:

Order some cheap Turnigy packs from Hobbyking. $100 for two 6s packs! If one fails, oh well. $50 aint that bad. And in my experience Turnigy packs perform great. I also use foam on the bottom of my battery tray to help with impacts.
IDK about 6s lol im ordering some turnigy 4s 4500 hard case. But i see they have some good soft cases and more to choose from. If someone wanted to couldnt they just put a lil thicker plastic around it? I dont see a diffrence how inpact on a hard case is less then soft, when both are strapped and not bobbling around in the tray? Also the foam is a good idea im ganna doo that.
__________________
Xray XB4 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Hobbywing | SpeedPassion | JC |

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:49 PM   #5
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,854
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

No real benefit to hard cases unless your tracks require it.

The theory is that hard cases will protect the cells. As long as your soft cases are secured properly in the battery box, I don't see any benefits to the hard case.

I actually don't like hard cases because I can't see and feel how my lipos are reacting. Lipos puff and get soft when they are going bad. You can't tell or see this happening very well with hard cases.

Plane and Heli guys have been using soft cases for years with no issues. They don't seem to have a problem with soft lipos in plane/heli crashes... i doubt our crashes are much worse.
__________________
Cars I've Owned: Tekno EB48 & SCT410, AE 8.2e, AE SC10 4x4, MBX6e Tekno V4, Xray 808e, Xray 8Te, Losi 810e, Losi SCTE 4x4, Losi 22, Hot Bodies Ve8, Losi 8te, and plenty of Traxxas

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
Tech Elite
 
NitroXray80809's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bakersfield, California
Posts: 3,249
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edumakated View Post
No real benefit to hard cases unless your tracks require it.

The theory is that hard cases will protect the cells. As long as your soft cases are secured properly in the battery box, I don't see any benefits to the hard case.

I actually don't like hard cases because I can't see and feel how my lipos are reacting. Lipos puff and get soft when they are going bad. You can't tell or see this happening very well with hard cases.

Plane and Heli guys have been using soft cases for years with no issues. They don't seem to have a problem with soft lipos in plane/heli crashes... i doubt our crashes are much worse.
Exactly my thoughts. I use to have a venom 2s hard case and it cought fire on me. Never knew because i seen no puffing or anything. Also i agree on if its secure theres no diffrence. Now how may i go about riggind up a lil case to covor the lipo as its in the car though? To keep debree, and stray objects hitting the lipo? Maybe lexan from a body????
__________________
Xray XB4 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Hobbywing | SpeedPassion | JC |

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:03 PM   #7
Tech Champion
 
BuggyKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Huntington Beach, Ca
Posts: 7,919
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

No there isn't wrong with running soft packs. The issue you run into is when you go to sanctioned races you will need to run ROAR approved packs.
__________________
Our government is a #$%$ joke, from the head jester on down
RIP Mike M
BuggyKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:05 PM   #8
Tech Elite
 
T. Herwig's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Somerset, PA
Posts: 2,373
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to T. Herwig
Default

I run soft case Lipos and hardcase lipos in my 8th scale. I have yet to have a problem with a softcase lipo. One is puffed, but I noticed immediately and was able to dispose of it.
__________________
Tyler Herwig
Tekno RC teknorc.com ∙ JConcepts jconcepts.net ∙ Spider Hobbies spiderhobbies.com ∙ SMC smc-racing.net ∙ Upgrade RC upgrade-rc.com ∙ Kustom RC Graphics kustomrcgraphics.com
T. Herwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:07 PM   #9
Tech Elite
 
NitroXray80809's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bakersfield, California
Posts: 3,249
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggyKing View Post
No there isn't wrong with running soft packs. The issue you run into is when you go to sanctioned races you will need to run ROAR approved packs.
I dont plan on running ROAR at all. To many rules and takes fun out of racing. No disrespect to any roar racers or members but i just dont agree on how they go by running races. My buggy is mainly for club racing, jbrl, and a few other races here and there like losi rev series etc. Nothing real big.
__________________
Xray XB4 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Hobbywing | SpeedPassion | JC |

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:30 PM   #10
Tech Elite
 
kufman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Elburn, IL
Posts: 3,424
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

I have always run softcase lipos and have never had a problem due to the softcase. Both lipo fires I have witnessed were due to over charging and actually both were hard case lipos. Losi left me with a bad taste in my mouth with their first hardcase lipo. My friend had one and and after a couple runs we could hear the cells clunking around inside the case. Eventually, one of the balance tap wires broke so we decided to open it up and fix it. When we got inside we discovered that there was no padding of any kind around the cells and there was no strain relief for any of the wires. At least with softcase lipos I use velcro and other padding to protect it from the battery tray. That Losi hard case had nothing! So what if you hold the hard case securely down to the battery tray, the cells are still flopping around inside a hard plastic case!

For these reasons and the reasons mentioned by Edumakated, I don't see hard cases being any better than soft cases. In fact, due to not being able to inspect the cells, I feel that hard cases are more dangerous. I can tell if a pack is starting to die just by the feel of the cells after a run. Long before they puff up big enough to crack a case, they will feel soft and squishy.
__________________
Brushes? We don't need no stinking brushes!!!
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:50 PM   #11
Moderator
 
Muggydude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,837
Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Default

6s 1400kv, low motor, high voltage. I used to run 4s 2050kv, but genereally it seems that this will produce a more efficient and cooler setup.
Muggydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:13 PM   #12
Tech Elite
 
NitroXray80809's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bakersfield, California
Posts: 3,249
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
I have always run softcase lipos and have never had a problem due to the softcase. Both lipo fires I have witnessed were due to over charging and actually both were hard case lipos. Losi left me with a bad taste in my mouth with their first hardcase lipo. My friend had one and and after a couple runs we could hear the cells clunking around inside the case. Eventually, one of the balance tap wires broke so we decided to open it up and fix it. When we got inside we discovered that there was no padding of any kind around the cells and there was no strain relief for any of the wires. At least with softcase lipos I use velcro and other padding to protect it from the battery tray. That Losi hard case had nothing! So what if you hold the hard case securely down to the battery tray, the cells are still flopping around inside a hard plastic case!

For these reasons and the reasons mentioned by Edumakated, I don't see hard cases being any better than soft cases. In fact, due to not being able to inspect the cells, I feel that hard cases are more dangerous. I can tell if a pack is starting to die just by the feel of the cells after a run. Long before they puff up big enough to crack a case, they will feel soft and squishy.
I now am thinking soft lol. Really do you need protection like foam or velcro thou when ur using straps?
__________________
Xray XB4 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Hobbywing | SpeedPassion | JC |

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:41 PM   #13
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,850
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroXray80809 View Post
I now am thinking soft lol. Really do you need protection like foam or velcro thou when ur using straps?
I use foam if the battery does not fill the tray, and some inside the front face of the battery tray. I'm using a small 5S 2200 mAh softcase lipo in a large RCM battery tray in my Serpent 811 conversion. I used some stiff open cell foam to fill in the extra space.
It's a really good idea, bordering on a Commandment of E-scale, to velcro the battery into the tray. This keeps the lipo from slamming forward into the battery tray when (not if) you case that big triple or quad. Velcro straps only hold the battery into the tray, they don't hold it in place front to back.
__________________
Serpent SRX8 electric
Serpent Cobra 811TE-E
Serpent S120LTR 17.5 1/12th and S100LTR Pro-10
Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0 USGT
Team Serpent America and Desoto Racing
Stealth_RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:40 PM   #14
Tech Master
 
brickshouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,246
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

I have the rc product design conversion on my rc8, its nice cause the battery tray is long, I can space battery according to where I need the traction with foam spacers. I have ran soft turnigy's for about a year now with no problems. Never thought about swelling part, BIG advantage.
__________________
Second place is first loser, and a special thanks to 8lb. 6.oz newborn infant jesus. Gotta love credit cards, buy anything you want and simply make a small monthly payment for the rest of you life. DK Concepts---Outsiders RC---F and R Metals---AE 4 LIFE SON---U LIKE TO SEE HOMOS NAKED???
brickshouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:33 PM   #15
Tech Elite
 
kufman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Elburn, IL
Posts: 3,424
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroXray80809 View Post
I now am thinking soft lol. Really do you need protection like foam or velcro thou when ur using straps?
If you are talking about the V4 you own, you probably don't need much foam or velcro, although it never hurts. The 3 strap system that Tekno uses works pretty darn good. Trays like the ones from RC-Monster, RCPD, Losi, etc. just use the straps to hold the battery down and they don't prevent the battery from shifting front to back. The Tekno tray does if you pack is the correct length for the front to back strap.
__________________
Brushes? We don't need no stinking brushes!!!
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Harbor Hobby & Raceway Winthrop Harbor, IL RacineRacerrr Wisconsin & Illinois Racing 1310 11-24-2007 01:07 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:01 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net