Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2wd Mod or Stock and Buggy or Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 04:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default 2wd Mod or Stock and Buggy or Truck?

I'm looking to try wheeling a two wheeler but not sure where to start, at all. I know the mod class is much faster and generally has the better drivers. As does the buggy class compared to the truck class. I'm going to be racing but wouldn't mind having a semi decent basher. I was looking at the Associated T4.1 brushless RTR. Is there anything else that is comparable or is there a recommendation for something else? As you can see I'm leaning towards truck, but who knows?

I really have no idea what motor or ESC to go with, but based upon what I've read here on the boards, the Tekin RS seems to be the best bet for stock at least, and the RS Pro for Mod.

Stock motor is 13.5T or 17T (?). And mod is unlimited (?).

I currently have a HB Ve8 that I race, granted my driving is quite lacking. I'd like to do some 2wd to improve on the driving skills.

Thanks!
Old 02-22-2011, 04:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have a b4 and I ran the stock class (no timing/boost) and it was fun with my 17.5. But I wanted a little more outta my motor so I'm running super stock(13.5). I'm excited to see how is goes. But I ask at my track and kids are running 8.5 for mod class.

Originally Posted by quixoticboi
I'm looking to try wheeling a two wheeler but not sure where to start, at all. I know the mod class is much faster and generally has the better drivers. As does the buggy class compared to the truck class. I'm going to be racing but wouldn't mind having a semi decent basher. I was looking at the Associated T4.1 brushless RTR. Is there anything else that is comparable or is there a recommendation for something else? As you can see I'm leaning towards truck, but who knows?

I really have no idea what motor or ESC to go with, but based upon what I've read here on the boards, the Tekin RS seems to be the best bet for stock at least, and the RS Pro for Mod.

Stock motor is 13.5T or 17T (?). And mod is unlimited (?).

I currently have a HB Ve8 that I race, granted my driving is quite lacking. I'd like to do some 2wd to improve on the driving skills.

Thanks!
Old 02-22-2011, 04:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think stock class is pretty fun. Even stock buggy can make you a pretty good driver. Especially in tight indoors

I think for this year in 1/10 we are going to run a superstock class that will allow both unboosted 13.5 and/or boosted 17.5. Based on stuff people already run in this area.

Stock is generally 17.5 and Superstock is 13.5, also depending on your track and area. Ive seen variations.

If you really want to improve skills, 2wd buggy all the way. ST is also loads of fun but more forgiving than buggy.

Between the RS and the pro. The regular RS will still handle a pretty stout motor in 2wd offroad, down to a 5 turn i believe. The RS pro is made to handle some of the power/traction that 4wd onroad can put down. They claim no motor limit.

Either way you cant go wrong with the Tekin, fine product.

If you are going to be replacing motor and ESC and such, you may want to look at the FT kits, they offer a little more and are worth it in the end if you are planning to upgrade stuff anyway.

We are currently running tight indoors clay with a 13.5 limit in both buggy and SCT. The 17.5's are putting down way better laps.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Stadium Truck has all but died here... not sure where you are.

But-2wd buggy is one of the hardest classes to be good at. So iwould say start in stock, and move to mod. That will make you a better driver.

And there is ALWAYS a buggy class
Old 02-22-2011, 05:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dlewis4
Stadium Truck has all but died here... not sure where you are.

But-2wd buggy is one of the hardest classes to be good at. So iwould say start in stock, and move to mod. That will make you a better driver.

And there is ALWAYS a buggy class
Weird...We had 18 stock trucks the other night and no mod buggy. Although generally they are about even here..
Old 02-22-2011, 06:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

stock buggy can b just as competitive as mod if not more so...and depending on the track actually more controllable and just as fast...but that also depends more on ur driving ability
Old 02-22-2011, 06:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Stock buggy is some really competitive racing. The hardest thing to drive with power you can control. It shows who is who!
Old 02-22-2011, 06:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Interesting. Looks like 2wd stock buggy is the slight favorite. What about for the (very) occasional bashing? I'm guessing that buggy is no longer a good choice?
Old 02-22-2011, 06:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

not at all...i would think about a traxxas sc...either the 4x4 or the 2wd....ALOT more durable for bashing and the occasional trip to the track
Old 02-22-2011, 06:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

I'm trying to stay more focused on the mentioned classes. If I stray over to SC, it'll be endless...

Oh, and the bashing will be occasional and far more racing.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Buggies can do some awesome bashing in the right setting. Grab some dirt hawgs for asphalt/general purpose. They last a long time and hook to asphalt/concrete like glue. Wheelies what?

You are somewhat limited in taller grass and really bumpy/rough terrain. But a ST would do almost the same.

Not trying to sway you just my 2¢
Old 02-22-2011, 07:34 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hyperguy
stock buggy can b just as competitive as mod if not more so...and depending on the track actually more controllable and just as fast...but that also depends more on ur driving ability
I agree, many guys around here run a 13.5 in mod class just because as we all know "slow is fast" but we run 13.5's in stock class around here. I even ran a 13.5 in mod truck class at our big race and had a blast but the mods definately pull on the straights though!
Old 02-24-2011, 05:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

I've decided to go with Stock Stadium Truck. How's the RTR T4.1? Also, the RTR comes with a 3300kv motor, but it's to my understanding that any RTR motor can run in the stock class, is this generally correct? I know it varies from track to track, so generally speaking.

Your thoughts!
Old 02-24-2011, 06:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

My vote goes for stock buggy. We run 13.5 in stock where I live.
We ALWAYS have a buggy class and stadium truck is almost dead.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

I'm not at all worried about the class being dead. They'll allow the trucks to run with the buggies if there aren't enough.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.