Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Converting Nitro Rustler to Electric: Advice Please! >

Converting Nitro Rustler to Electric: Advice Please!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Converting Nitro Rustler to Electric: Advice Please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 09:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default Converting Nitro Rustler to Electric: Advice Please!

I have a Nitro Rustler that I'm going to be converting to electric. I don't know which ESC/motor combination to go with. And whether or not to run stock or mod. I have an old Rustler and figure I'll just use it as a platform, not going to do any heavy racing, just want to be able to run it indoors. And I don't want to buy a kit new/used altogether. In addition, it will be converted to run mid-motor.

Just want to know what ESC/motor would work well. Not necessarily how to go about installing it. I'm new to 2wd electric truck so need some help.

Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Last edited by quixoticboi; 02-21-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I did this a couple years ago with my old nitro rustler. I used the transmission and motor out of my stampede vxl and put it in with the motor towards the gas tank. the holes for the screws in the stampede transmission line up with the nitro rustler chassis. I used the complete stampede rear end which was a little bit wider but it worked fine. I did not put that much time into it but it drove good i guess and jumped good. The only issue I had was chassis flex. It is hard to reinforce it with that set up but i bet someone willing to put more effort into it could. Good luck
Old 02-21-2011, 11:59 PM
Tech Elite

Sounds like a cool project. I'd probably go with the castle sct 3800kv for $100 shipped. Or castle 6900kv or 5700kv sidewinder or mamba max pro on 2s lipo or 7or8 sub c sells. All depends on how fast you really want to go. The 3800 is a torque monster where the others can be even more insane! Lol! I do recommend castle depending on your budget, a lot of people seem to be enjoying the hobby wing stuff and it's cheaper. I would go castle for bang for your buck! You need the mid motor to keep the front end down either way! Lol!
Old 02-22-2011, 08:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dean Rawlinson
I did this a couple years ago with my old nitro rustler. I used the transmission and motor out of my stampede vxl and put it in with the motor towards the gas tank. the holes for the screws in the stampede transmission line up with the nitro rustler chassis. I used the complete stampede rear end which was a little bit wider but it worked fine. I did not put that much time into it but it drove good i guess and jumped good. The only issue I had was chassis flex. It is hard to reinforce it with that set up but i bet someone willing to put more effort into it could. Good luck
Thanks for the info. Did you need to run the stampede rear end or did you just opt to do so? Also, does the stampede tranny allow different motors? I'm eye-ing the Associated XP SC450-BL ESC/540R 3300kV Combo.

Although, if this is going to end up costing more money, I'm just thinking about getting an Associated T4.1 brushless and sell the Rustler. I'm in a bit of a dilemma. Hmmmmmm......
Old 02-27-2011, 10:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by quixoticboi
Thanks for the info. Did you need to run the stampede rear end or did you just opt to do so? Also, does the stampede tranny allow different motors? I'm eye-ing the Associated XP SC450-BL ESC/540R 3300kV Combo.

Although, if this is going to end up costing more money, I'm just thinking about getting an Associated T4.1 brushless and sell the Rustler. I'm in a bit of a dilemma. Hmmmmmm......
I am not sure if I needed to use the complete stampede rear end. I dont think you would really have to but I just did anyway. and yes the stampede tranny fits many electric motors. But a T4 would handle a lot better and be more competitive than anything made by Traxxas.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I would just sell nitro and buy the rustler vxl. Way cheaper to do.