Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Taking your vehicle and stuff through the airlines, what can go? >

Taking your vehicle and stuff through the airlines, what can go?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taking your vehicle and stuff through the airlines, what can go?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 06:22 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)
Exclamation Taking your vehicle and stuff through the airlines, what can go?

I am considering bringing my buggy and a few items ( batteries, radio, charger ) with me on my vacation to race at the local track. Thing is, I am not sure what is allowed.

Anyone done thing before?
Old 08-17-2004, 11:12 AM
Tech Regular

Most airlines all allow you 2 checked bags and one carry on bag, the 2 checked cannot go over 50 pounds or will be charged different amounts depending on how heavy it is, carry on they say 40 pounds but they never weigh them., Southwest checked limit is 70lbs. You cannot take power supply, any type of hand tools, dremel, pretty much like cords either, CA gue, fuel period, cans of motor spray or other cans under pressure as carry on. I've taken batteries(they always think it's coins when thru x-ray), radio, lathe, car, motors, discharge trays, charger as carry on and they just always look at it and ask what it is, if take any of the other stuff it will have to be shipped to where you're going or checked in a smaller box if you get someone that's cool.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

At the bare minimum, bring your car, radio, batteries, and motors in your carry-on luggage, because that is what you need to race. It also helps to have a few R/C magazines handy to show them what is in your bags and why you are carrying a lot of electronic equipment with you.

If you're going to a gas race, try to ship your fuel to your hotel ahead of you, because there's not much chance you'll be able to get it on the plane. The more stuff you ship ahead of time, the better.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:11 PM
Tech Master

I have heard that the batteries must be discharged and you may have to prove it.

If its nitro buy it at the track where you are going.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

We went to the mod nats in NM. We each had our own way of packing stuff. No motor spray. I put all my stuff in a cheaper pullman type suitcase. I cable tied my buggy and truck chassis to the handle posts inside. Got a small organizer and packed all my small bits and tools inside it. Big zip lock freezer bags and put all my spares in them, and jambed all my rims and practice tires all around my gear.

In my carry on luggage was a duffle with my clothes padding my transmitter and camera, another pullman with clothes padding a laptop and x-box.

I didn't have anything searched on the way down, on the way back my gear bag was searched and several notes were left inside saying that they confiscated a lighter, however, my zippo was still in the tool case.

One of the others that went with us had his gear box that he was checking in searched, then they did the sniff test on his carry-ons and his clothes. It seemed purely random.

Have a nice trip, Cain. I was going to try to make it to Wolcott last Sunday, but the rain kind of put a damper on things. This sunday I will be travling to Portland for a trophy race (fairly new facility). Next week I will make my second attempt at getting to Wolcott.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:22 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Thanks for the info guys. I am going to be flying with United Airlines so I will give them a call tonite and see what they say. Main things I would bring would be:

Vehicle and its electronics
Charger
Battery packs ( maybe 3 max )
Radio and its batteries
Discharge tray
A few tools and maybe a spare part

I think that will be about it.

Slobbatech: Strange that you couldn't take a power supply but could take a charger on the plane?

I just don't want any problems going through the airline. I also have to see about space as I have to bring a camcorder and digital camera with.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:17 AM
Tech Elite

We just flew to the Worlds in Sweden and didn't have much of a problem. Your best bet is to get there early so you will have time to get checked in, and explain what everything is, instead of letting them search themselves and take something.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:53 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah, they said the power supply could be rigged up to a bomb or something dangerous somehow, they didn't get it that it's harmless since there isn't any AC plugs on da plane. Taken starter box as carry on too and was ok after being looked at, just have to choose words carefully and if take nitro cars and they ask if electric or gas tell them electric, they're not going to know difference. Then any cleaners, solvents, liquids that you need at the track best to ship ahead of time. I had them take my shock oil box one time, man I was very upset with that when I got home and found out, gotta have shock oil for tha setups.
Old 08-22-2004, 02:11 AM
Tech Master

Hode On Man, wheres my shock oil man!
Old 08-24-2004, 12:14 AM
Tech Initiate

Default France to China

Hi

Last friday I went back to China from France (1 stop in Vietnam)
In my luggage i had 6 batteries, 4 motors and some tyres. No problem.
I carried my radio control in my hand-carry luggage and at every security check I had to open it to check. The batteries looks like bullet on the screen !!! But no problem.
No need to open the box with the french security guy, I was kidding with his colleagues, he told them "It maybe some bullets" but nobody checked.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:27 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by SlobbaTech
Yeah, they said the power supply could be rigged up to a bomb or something dangerous somehow, they didn't get it that it's harmless since there isn't any AC plugs on da plane. Taken starter box as carry on too and was ok after being looked at, just have to choose words carefully and if take nitro cars and they ask if electric or gas tell them electric, they're not going to know difference. Then any cleaners, solvents, liquids that you need at the track best to ship ahead of time. I had them take my shock oil box one time, man I was very upset with that when I got home and found out, gotta have shock oil for tha setups.

You are right that there is no ac power on a plane, but the caps in your powersupply hold large ammounts of both ac and dc energy
Old 08-24-2004, 03:12 PM
Tech Rookie

you should UPS it to where your staying