Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proline body

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 06:30 PM
Tech Adept

Thumbs down Proline body

For Christmas the wife got me a new Proline body, the Cavalieri edition. I cut it out and painted it up. Turned out ok for a first attempt. Took it to the track and what a piece of crapola. Pretty much totaled after a half day at the track. The back end and around the shock towers is all cracked up. I'm not the best driver, far from it, but there's no way it should have fared so poorly. The stock AE body showed no wear for 4 months or so. My nephew got the Crowd Pleazer and had the same results.
I emailed Proline yesterday and have yet to receive a reply. I think that Proline has a pretty good reputation, but so far I am not impressed.
Sorry for the rant, but had to do it.
Vic
Old 02-15-2011, 06:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Its good to put shoe goo on all rubbing parts, its almost a must if you want your body to last awhile along with not wrecking

t4/t4.1
front and rear shock towers
rear bumper lid
front bumper area
its good to just go around and slather the stuff on there, its like $8 a tube and will make a body go along way... or before the duct tape comes in

I would agree the Crowd Pleazer edition is not that great it states its 0.030 lexan, mine lasted a few months, but the new proline bull dog body seems alot thicker or maybe just cause i just got it last month, and used a little extra shoe goo
Old 02-15-2011, 07:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Yes shoe goo and dry wall tape works well for the SC bodies. Ya the SC bodies don't last to long after a few roll overs and crashes. The companies that make the bodies ought reinforce them in certain areas.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:55 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

I have actually sprayed truck underbody coating on my bodies and it works at prolonging life as well! I was wandering if bed liner would work? May try that sometime! It does increase the weight though!
Old 02-15-2011, 07:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thecman26
I have actually sprayed truck underbody coating on my bodies and it works at prolonging life as well! I was wandering if bed liner would work? May try that sometime! It does increase the weight though!
bedliner spray might not be able to handle the flex of a lexan body, and yes that would be alot of weight
Old 02-15-2011, 07:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

+1 to shoe goo and fiberglass tape, make a big difference, but if the body was molded thin they will replace it, have pics ready
Old 02-15-2011, 08:00 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

I tried the Cavaleri Edition Crowd Pleazer on my T4 as well. Pretty much the same thing happened to me. The problem with the bed area of the truck body is all the sharp angles create stress points where the Lexan will crack. I don't plan on using the CECP body again.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

I had the RC8T Punisher from Jconcepts last me 7 months, then I switched to the Proline RC8T Bulldog, it only lasted about a month. I have had the slipstream on an Erevo and it broke too soon as well.

I won't ever buy a Proline Body again.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I used to always be a Proline body guy, I guess mainly cause there weren't many other options. But now that I've gotten a few Jconcepts bodies lately, I think I'm converting to just using theirs. They are deff a more consistent thickness lexan, their window masks are so much nicer, and the blue overspray film is actually useful instead of clear. My only small complaint about Jconcepts bodies is that I have now gotten 2 of them that you can clearly see were sorta double stamped.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SloRacer1080
I used to always be a Proline body guy, I guess mainly cause there weren't many other options. But now that I've gotten a few Jconcepts bodies lately, I think I'm converting to just using theirs. They are deff a more consistent thickness lexan, their window masks are so much nicer, and the blue overspray film is actually useful instead of clear. My only small complaint about Jconcepts bodies is that I have now gotten 2 of them that you can clearly see were sorta double stamped.

LOL, I've pretty much had the opposite experience. Pro-Line bodies seem to last longer than the JCon bodies, at least the ones I've had. I also like the clear overspray mask rather than the blue so I can see how my colors are looking through the film better. I'm not a Pro-Line fan by any stretch, I actually think most of the J-con styles look better....so no bias, just my experience.

With the process they make these bodies with, I really just think it's a crapshoot to how the bodies last. If you get one that vacuum formed evenly, it will last pretty well. Unfortunately, I think both companies ship out a lot of them that didn't, and have thin spots that crack easily.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Well, I have two Jconcepts bodies for my T4 and one Pro-Line body (Cavalieri Edition).. I havn't had a chance to use my Hi-Flow body from the J team but the [original] Illuzion body has cracks on all four corners from just two battery packs and crashes were minimal.. The only explanation that I have is when the SC trucks would land on top of me... -.-

But I really think that both companies have good bodies. It could be the quality of the lexan but I noticed that my bodies tend to be weaker/stronger depending on how well I cut the bodies out.. You leave any small imperfections and they can turn into huge huge cracks.. Trust me, I learned the [$]hard[$] way that you need to cut the bodies out good.. Well, I'll let you know what I think about the two companies after I'm done destroying my other two
Old 02-18-2011, 06:52 AM
Tech Adept

Took a day or so but Proline got back to me. They wanted me to send them the body so that they could inspect it. I asked and they said that they'd send me a body with the return label enclosed which should speed up the whole process.
So far so good on the customer service.