Wiki Posts
Search

Lipo charging question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 05:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default Lipo charging question

ok so i bought a eco eight and a turnigy 2s 5000 MAH 20 c getting ready to charge them after reading the manual it doesnt recommend what A to charge it at, also any 1 who has any experience with this charge do you know if it auto stops at 4.2V or any of that and also when done for the day how would i get it up to 3.7v for storage?
Old 02-09-2011, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

you can charge lipos at about 1C, which in your case is 5amps. at 1C a pack will charge in 60 minutes. i am not familiar with your charger but if it charges lipos it should automatically stop charging when each cell reaches 4.2 volts. if you keep to the 75% rule and only pull out that much of the batteries capacity, you will be between 3.6 and 3.8 volts per cell which is where you want it to be for storage.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:32 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Originally Posted by youbleed
ok so i bought a eco eight and a turnigy 2s 5000 MAH 20 c getting ready to charge them after reading the manual it doesnt recommend what A to charge it at, also any 1 who has any experience with this charge do you know if it auto stops at 4.2V or any of that and also when done for the day how would i get it up to 3.7v for storage?
what charger are you using? or is that the Eco 8 you mention?

either way, the turnigy 2s should be 2C charge capable...the charge rate is always dependent on the MAH rating..

if its a 5000 mah battery, 1C charge rate would be 5 amps, 2c charge rate is 10 amps, and so on and so forth..

if its a 6800 mah battery, 1c charge rate would be 6.8 amps,2c would be 13.6 amps...

if the charger you are using is lipo capable, it should stop at 4.2 volts as long as its set on LIPO and not LION mode, most but not all will beep during the charge, and then go into the constant voltage mode until the batterys topped off, dont worry, this is normal.

charge/discharge store mode, should be roughly 3.8x volts...but unless your storing them for 3+ months, dont bother with store mode charging them, doing this daily/weekly will just take life out of the battery for no reason.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:33 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by bigben1165
you can charge lipos at about 1C, which in your case is 5amps. at 1C a pack will charge in 60 minutes. i am not familiar with your charger but if it charges lipos it should automatically stop charging when each cell reaches 4.2 volts. if you keep to the 75% rule and only pull out that much of the batteries capacity, you will be between 3.6 and 3.8 volts per cell which is where you want it to be for storage.
There is no such thing as a 75% rule.

running a battery down to 3.2/3.3 volts per cell has ZERO negative effects if used properly, ive been doing it for years, and its never hurt a battery yet!
Old 02-09-2011, 05:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I dont have that charger, but I am pretty certain it uses the same software as 90% of other chargers from HK.

The battery should determine your settings. I believe the 20C Turnigy packs are safe up to a 1C charge rate. For your pack this would be 5A Max. Go into Lipo balance mode, set to 5.0A or less, and make sure it is set to 2s or 7.4V, then have at it. As long as you are on Lipo mode the charger will automatically shut down when the pack is full or if there is a problem.

For storage, simply use the storage mode and set it the same way. It will automatically charge or discharge your pack to a good storage level.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by FTSC10
There is no such thing as a 75% rule.

running a battery down to 3.2/3.3 volts per cell has ZERO negative effects if used properly, ive been doing it for years, and its never hurt a battery yet!
so what percentage of the lipo capacity do you recommend using? ive been flying lipo batteries in helicopters for 12 years and yes, there is a general rule that pulling more than 75-80% of a batteries mah decreases its life. you can run a cell down to 3.0 volts per cell, i didnt say you couldnt.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:02 PM
Suspended

so what percentage of the lipo capacity do you recommend using? ive been flying lipo batteries in helicopters for 12 years and yes, there is a general rule that pulling more than 75-80% of a batteries mah decreases its life. you can run a cell down to 3.0 volts per cell, i didnt say you couldnt.
Helis and aircraft have requirements that ground RC dont...

if we hit lipo cutoff, our junk just stops...if you guys hit cutoff, your junk falls to the ground!

a general rule says who? a few people on a forum is hardly reason to beleive in something, or a set way.

Until i see hardcore proof of battery degradation based on running packs down to 3.2 or lower, its all BS! falls in the same category of fools who beleive a maxcraps battery will sustain 150c discharge rates! there are so many BS factors in RC stuff, those who think for themselves, usually know better!

Like the charge rate, ive juiced lipos well beyond there recomended C rate, with no ill effects, EVER! they all seem to last the same amount of time before they start to go bad and lose punch, as ALL batterys will, and do!
Old 02-09-2011, 06:19 PM
Tech Elite

these recommendations are from the manufacturers. i would suggest to anyone reading this take the advice of people that use lipo batteries responsibly, not this guy.

because you want to try to prove everyone wrong by risking your models and safety, dont give your crappy advice to people that want the safe way to do things, not your pseudo scientific approach to how to push the envelop.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Big Ben 1165
Old 02-09-2011, 06:41 PM
Tech Elite

thanks banshee
Old 02-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Suspended

these recommendations are from the manufacturers. i would suggest to anyone reading this take the advice of people that use lipo batteries responsibly, not this guy.

because you want to try to prove everyone wrong by risking your models and safety, dont give your crappy advice to people that want the safe way to do things, not your pseudo scientific approach to how to push the envelop.
if running them is so UNSAFE as you claim, why do several companies offer as low as 2.8 volts per cell for a cutoff?

using lipos responsibly? are you serious?...

ive NEVER had a lipo issue, unless it was caused by something else,which had NOTHING to do with the battery..

ive had a venom 3cell lipo for almost 2+ years now, and it still takes its rated 5400mah...and guess what? its been pushed beyond its C rating, its been pushed beyond its charge c rating..still works and functions perfectly!

Just because you feel you need to follow some set of misguided guidelines, dont knock me! like i said, until i see someone PROVE otherwise, that isnt affiliated with the maker of said battery..ill beleive it.

everyones C rating is different, everyones charge rates are different, why is that? if there is such a standard golden rule to follow for all lipos, why cant a single mfg all have the same guidelines for lipos? its because of WARRANTY! any company will try and skate around warranty claims..ANY company. other reason is simply marketing, look at maxamps BULLSHIT they spew all over the web...

do you beleive there claims because they are a well known company?

id LOVE to see a maxamps pack put to a 150c discharge...and id laugh when it EXPLODED. some of you people need to open your eyes, and instead of doing what your told, 70+% of you are all brainwashed.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:54 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 132 (100%+)

bigben? Don't listen to him, just do what you want, lipo fires can be exciting too!

Seriously, listen to what the manufacturers recommend. They are the ones that have done the testing, many hours of research and development have gone into the study of lipo batteries. Just because someone says I have done this and it is fine does NOT mean it is a good idea and you will have the same experience. Listen to the people who are trying to help you and prevent problems (bigben). Will the people who tell you blah blah also take responsibility when a catastrophe occurs, or will they be the ones to blame you and say you must have done something wrong?

Your choice, advice that is keeping you safe and having fun, or advice that is a disaster waiting to happen?
Old 02-09-2011, 07:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

One problem with using lower lipo cutoffs is the esc is not capable of reading each individual cell.
So in other words if running a 4s lipo, 3 of the cells can reach 3.2-3.3v and 1 cell could be at 2.8v, because the esc cutoff is set at 12.8v for a 4s @3.2v lvc.
This is not good conditions for a lipo cell at all.
I personally set my lvc @ 3.4v per cell and hardly ever get there because I buy lipos in specific mah to come off a heat or main at store mode voltage. For me I find it's easier this way for sure.
And when in doubt always do what the manufactures say to do!
Old 02-09-2011, 07:14 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by badaml
bigben? Don't listen to him, just do what you want, lipo fires can be exciting too!

Seriously, listen to what the manufacturers recommend. They are the ones that have done the testing, many hours of research and development have gone into the study of lipo batteries. Just because someone says I have done this and it is fine does NOT mean it is a good idea and you will have the same experience. Listen to the people who are trying to help you and prevent problems (bigben). Will the people who tell you blah blah also take responsibility when a catastrophe occurs, or will they be the ones to blame you and say you must have done something wrong?

Your choice, advice that is keeping you safe and having fun, or advice that is a disaster waiting to happen?
You do realize, lipo fires/puffs/explosions happen during regular normal use as well right? are you going to hold your self responsible when it happens?

its the nature of this hobby, we pay dearly for the power we have been provided with over the years, and that is the possibility of true harm to ourselves, our property etc etc...

you first must respect what you are working with.

But all you yahoo's saying what i do is wrong, and what you do is right is complete BS.

Every mfg has different recomendations, none of them share the same common guidelines to follow, aside from dont go lower then 3.0 per cell, some even claim as low as 2.8!!

that said, on my lower amp draw vehicles, i set LVC at 3.2 usually, on my higher amp draw vehicles, i set it at 3.4....in the i dunno how many years ive been running lipos, ive never had one go bad! i cant say the same for the majority of others on this forum..
Old 02-09-2011, 07:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

thanks banshee
+1 BIGBEN

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.