Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone driven the XRay XB8 yet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 09:53 AM
Tech Master

Default Anyone driven the XRay XB8 yet?

Theyr'e out already so someone has to have one.

I'm in the market for an 1/8 buggy but am still undecided between the MBX5, the 777 or the XB8.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'll let you know in a week or so. Mine is on its way.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:56 PM
Tech Regular

mines on its way too
but if you can't wait around i'd say go for the 777
at least you know what you're getting with a Kyosho!

i also have an MBX5 & its 777 all the way for me from now on
Old 08-18-2004, 08:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

MBX5 just won the worlds for whatever thats worth
Old 08-18-2004, 09:35 PM
dtm
Tech Champion

Originally posted by D_Ames
MBX5 just won the worlds for whatever thats worth
Old 08-18-2004, 11:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just drooled over it... maybe this weekend...?

A couple to drool over...

P:S: MBX5 for sale...
Old 08-19-2004, 12:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Gord, you got mail!
Old 08-19-2004, 10:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

sup joe, ygpm
Old 08-19-2004, 08:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Default Re: Anyone driven the XRay XB8 yet?

Originally posted by FREAKAH
Theyr'e out already so someone has to have one.

I'm in the market for an 1/8 buggy but am still undecided between the MBX5, the 777 or the XB8.
One of my buddies (who is an xray team driver) was telling me that another team xray off road drivers who used to run the MBX5 has been running that XB8 and all ready likes it a lot more than the mugen.

I think the buggy is not only a better car, but a better value as well. It's going to be cheaper, (the kit and the parts) and I dont know if you have ever built or ran an xray onroad car, but no other company except for maybe tamiya can rival their quality. Thats just my two cents.....

In short, wait for the xray, you wont be disappointed..........
Old 08-20-2004, 12:16 AM
Tech Master

Yeah, im really diggin' the car from what I have seen in pics and from what I had read. BUT, there are a couple of things that kinda bothers me about the car.

One is the angle of the center drive shafts going from the center diff to each of the gearboxes at each end(I seen a pic somewhere). Looks as if there is a bit of a downward angle to them and this is from the smaller front and rear diff gear diameter in comparason to the center diff gear I guess. Would this be a problem as far as wear and power transfer goes especially since this would be a constant/fixed angle?

The other is the plastic upper shock caps. I'm concerned that these will wear quickly and/or get deformed or rip from the rigors of American style 1/8 off-road racing. IIRC, the Hyper7 has plastic caps too but I haven't done any reading about that buggy.

The last might not matter at all but, doesn't the front shocks look kinda short by todays standards especially when compared to the K3? Well....maybe i'm seeing things.

what do you guys think?

Last edited by FREAKAH; 08-20-2004 at 02:32 AM.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:46 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

..............The other is the plastic upper shock caps. I'm concerned that these will wear quickly and/or get deformed or rip from the rigors of American style 1/8 off-road racing. IIRC, the Hyper7 has plastic caps too but I haven't done any reading about that buggy.
Yes they wear quite nicely on the Hyper 7...but they are very cheap replacements. I normally replace the caps when I do the O rings etc. Having said that I have seen my friend Kyosho MP7.5 alloy caps wear as well....just cost much more to replace.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:09 AM
Tech Master

Aaaaggh!! Who am I kidding!

I WANT ONE!!!

Just looking for some lame excuses for why not to get one . The 777 exceeds my allowance so that's out of the question.

Looks like i'm gotta sell one of my MTX-3's, two MTX-2's, HPI Super, Tamiya TGR, and my XXX-S G+ to finance the XB8 and engine/pipe. It's either that or stop watching those 1/8 buggys on raceday .

Oh well, so much stuff to sell first, yet so impatient.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

It's either that or stop watching those 1/8 buggys on raceday .

see you on sunday
Old 08-20-2004, 05:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

One is the angle of the center drive shafts going from the center diff to each of the gearboxes at each end(I seen a pic somewhere). Looks as if there is a bit of a downward angle to them and this is from the smaller front and rear diff gear diameter in comparason to the center diff gear I guess. Would this be a problem as far as wear and power transfer goes especially since this would be a constant/fixed angle?

The other is the plastic upper shock caps. I'm concerned that these will wear quickly and/or get deformed or rip from the rigors of American style 1/8 off-road racing. IIRC, the Hyper7 has plastic caps too but I haven't done any reading about that buggy.

The last might not matter at all but, doesn't the front shocks look kinda short by todays standards especially when compared to the K3? Well....maybe i'm seeing things.what do you guys think?
Yes, there is an angle up and down and the center diff is also a little offset, but the drive shafts wouldnt wear any faster than a CV joint coming off the hub, if anything it will be slower because they aren't being worked as much and won't be as exposed to dirt and whatnot as much as the ones outside the body. And as far as the the shock mounts, they are extremely stout parts and like any other car, the metal pivot balls will wear down the plastic shock caps they are mounted in. And as far as replacing them goes, the plastic shock mounts do not thread onto the shocks directly, so these will be very inexpensive to replace when the time comes.

Haha, stop kidding yourself, this IS the buggy to get, X-Ray has a great, high quality product and in my experience of running their touring car for 2 years i have tried to find a better car, running the associated and losi and others, but i still can't find any other car that out performs and is more durable than the xray, and I dont expect so see any change in that with this offroad buggy.

And the front shocks amy seem kinda short, but there is PLENTY of travel in the front suspension of that buggy and wont be a problem.

Dang, sorry about the book.....
Old 08-20-2004, 07:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Here's a few more pic's.... More Pic's...

Cheers
Gord

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.