Wiki Posts
Search

SC8e vs SC8

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 01:39 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Electric is in reality not really less maintenance. I hear about guys frying ESC's and lipos and stuff all the time.. It's hardly as plug and play as all these teenagers make it out to be.

Seriously, so many of you guys couldn't tune your first nitro, so badmouth nitro forever. On the basis of juvenile ineptitude and impatience.

Nitro is a hobby and closer to motorsports. Electric is a toy for impatient children with ADD.

The only real advantage electric has over nitro is the noise, and perhaps the ease of use in winter. But even then, it's silent.. So again, like watching an action movie or NFL game on mute.

I don't run Nitro because I have a reaction to the fumes (asthma etc), am I therefore an impatient child or have ADD?

Perhaps you should choose your words more carefully.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

I loved nitro.But I switched over. Now instead of spending all my time trying to tune the engine or deal with the clutch I actually work on my cars setup. It has made me a better driver.

But that said, electric is not readily plug and play. Thats like saying soccer is just a bunch of guys kicking a ball around. There are so many small things. Just to give you an example. My father bought a slash 4x4 and upgraded to a lipo. Trying to explain to him over the phone what iut all meant and how to use the charger, he thought I was talking about quantum mechanics! LOL. It only seems like plug and play to those that use it. Dont you remeber when you first went electric? Trying to figure out what the hell all those damn letters and numbers meant. Will all work when I hook it up? 5C 50C? What the hell? 4S! My head hurts,.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I wouldn't necessarily call electric boring and dull. Sure, it may be quiet but honestly I see this as a plus sometimes. Those nitros can get real annoying. Performance wise though, I hate to say it, but I don't think a nitro engine, no matter how well it's tuned, will give you the performance an electric motor will. Sometimes it's a bit too much performance. However, then you're able to adjust your ESC and tune that. The one thing about nitro is that they have the advantage of doing longer mains due to pitstops. Electric can too, however it will take longer. I just personally can't see myself going back to nitro though. A lot of guys will still like it, but for me, I'll stick with electric. That's just my opinion on it.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I've had both SC8 and SC8e. I never really did find the love for nitros. I always ended up with dud motors which made it impossible to keep them running. The tailgate of my truck is my workbench at the track and I hated the fact that when you start it up it blows unburned fuel all over the tailgate and everything else sitting on it. Then it ends up sticky and stinky. I'm about the only one running hi-end electric at my track. Everybody else runs nitro and the other electrics are like 1/10 2wd brushed motors on 6 cell nimh packs. I wish there was more 1/8 electrics around to compose a class but until then I'll just drive for fun. I just like the plug and play method.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:42 AM
Tech Initiate

A friend of mine has spent thousands of dollars on batteries and esc and motors and they dont sound like a race car!! Gas all the way :-)
Old 02-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rickm
A friend of mine has spent thousands of dollars on batteries and esc and motors and they dont sound like a race car!! Gas all the way :-)
Nitro engines sound like a Home Depot weedeater, not a real race car.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:32 AM
Tech Champion

Gassers maybe, nitros no. Nitros are high-revving, raspy, and cool-sounding.

Elos sound like a xerox machine.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I ran nitros for over a decade after deciding that electric in the 80's wasn't doing it for me. Long run times and speed/power is what made me switch. It was fun, but now that the technology of electrics have brought us LiPo and brushless, giving us awesome run times and speed/power, I choose that.

I never once had a problem tuning nitro engines or keeping them running. I hate the noise, smell, and mess. And this is coming from a guy that drag races 1:1 cars quite a bit, and is an avid motorsports enthusiast with rally, F1, etc.

My electrics may be quieter than nitro, but they're certainly not silent.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I own a Sc8E and run it on 5s 35c batt, 2200kv castle. With this setup the truck goes around 50mph lol! Everyone that sees the truck in action at the track wants one! So sick! Just a beast!
Old 02-13-2011, 06:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I have an sc8 and love the thing!!! I'm in this hobby because i cant afford the real thing.... Nitro is as close as your gonna get beings you have to work on and tune an engine!!! And of course it is a real engine you have to add gas it makes noise and stinks... Gotta love the fact that it has a real motor!!!
Old 02-13-2011, 08:40 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Electric is in reality not really less maintenance. I hear about guys frying ESC's and lipos and stuff all the time.. It's hardly as plug and play as all these teenagers make it out to be.

Seriously, so many of you guys couldn't tune your first nitro, so badmouth nitro forever. On the basis of juvenile ineptitude and impatience.

Nitro is a hobby and closer to motorsports. Electric is a toy for impatient children with ADD.

The only real advantage electric has over nitro is the noise, and perhaps the ease of use in winter. But even then, it's silent.. So again, like watching an action movie or NFL game on mute.

Wow, so I guess you like nitro more.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:00 AM
Tech Rookie

Cool

I know about the pros and cons about nitro and electric. But I just wanted to know the differences between performance. Is the mamba max motor to the level of the engin in the sc8 ?
Old 02-14-2011, 06:40 AM
Tech Champion

Honestly not trying to be a jerk, but your question suggests otherwise...

The brushless will be faster than the nitro with the TT 28.

There are much better nitro engines - and many to choose from - for the SC8.... Though the TT 28 will get you going, and will offer enough torque for some fun drifting through the corners etc...
Old 02-14-2011, 07:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I like nitro, I have an sc8 and havent ran it yet(2 feet of snow on the track), but would like to try the very expensive side of electric someday.
I say very expensive cause of: LRp combo=$300-320
hyperion charger=$250
elec. conversion=$80-100
Batteries(reedy or orions)=$250+
My sc8 is all ready nitro and I am using a used GRP .28 Tuned that I had in my TTR ST1 Pro.and airtronics 94359 and 94358 from my orig. MGT .21(yes they still work pretty darn well.)

I know some of you will say you dont need to spend big dollars on batteries, but that is what I would want.

I could do it with my taxes this year but would probably put it in my 92 4x4 Bravada. Susp. lift kit, body lift kit and shocks. maybe better 4x4 tires if I have enough.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:09 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default costs

hobby king. 2200kv motor 30.00 150 amp trackstar 65.00 6s battery for 60+ 50.00 or 4 s for 37.00 20 bucks for 2.4 i have this in a ofna gtp2e and lx1e and they run flawless my 2 cents cant run nitro due to ADD........... AKA the fumes make my asthma act up cant do nitro.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.