Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Why does my truck seem like it goes ALOT faster in reverse then in forward? >

Why does my truck seem like it goes ALOT faster in reverse then in forward?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why does my truck seem like it goes ALOT faster in reverse then in forward?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 07:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Why does my truck seem like it goes ALOT faster in reverse then in forward?

Hey guys,

I just bought a novak Havoc esc/8.5 motor combo from my LHS. I put it in and everything works flawlessly but it seems like when i reverse it goes a hell of alot faster then in forward. The kit was pre-soldered so I didnt do anythig to the wires. Anyone with any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Chris
Old 02-06-2011, 07:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Is it in a car that requires the motor to be run in a reverse rotation.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by R-E-A-P-E-R-
Is it in a car that requires the motor to be run in a reverse rotation.
SC-10? Not too sure how I would even go about doing that
Old 02-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I've had this issue. Either swap the 2 motor wires on the end, or if your ESC has tuning, reverse the direction of the motor.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Go into your radio and use the trottle servo reverse and change it that should solve your problem
Old 02-06-2011, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tyler350
I've had this issue. Either swap the 2 motor wires on the end, or if your ESC has tuning, reverse the direction of the motor.
You have no idea what you're talking about, you can't do that with a sensored system, which would be any Novak BL system.

Originally Posted by tonyd
Go into your radio and use the trottle servo reverse and change it that should solve your problem
This might work but you might have to re-program the esc.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tyler350
I think your thinking of brushed not brushless
Old 02-06-2011, 08:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ive tried every possible setting in the radio and it doesnt work.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Go back threw the "set-up" instructions for the esc.....Novak has always been stupid simple to program, set all your EPA's to max and trims to zero, then set esc. Hold set-up button while you turn the esc on, light will blink, let go of button, pull full throttle, hold, light will flash, go to full brake, hold, light will flash, let go...done.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by racer1812
Go back threw the "set-up" instructions for the esc.....Novak has always been stupid simple to program, set all your EPA's to max and trims to zero, then set esc. Hold set-up button while you turn the esc on, light will blink, let go of button, pull full throttle, hold, light will flash, go to full brake, hold, light will flash, let go...done.

Ok so I reset everything back to factory settings (esc, transmitter) It was still doing it so i reversed the motor per instructions with esc. now that I did that it goes faster in forward.

The problem I am having now is that when I hit the brake it doesnt brake but goes right into reverse. The good thing is that it goes in reverse slower but I have no brake just instant spinning back tires.

Also when i reverse then try to go back to forward it has that one or two second delay that most esc's have but now in the opposite direction because I reversed the motor.

Am I doing something wrong here?
Old 02-06-2011, 09:39 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by TeamAE87
Ok so I reset everything back to factory settings (esc, transmitter) It was still doing it so i reversed the motor per instructions with esc. now that I did that it goes faster in forward.

The problem I am having now is that when I hit the brake it doesnt brake but goes right into reverse. The good thing is that it goes in reverse slower but I have no brake just instant spinning back tires.

Also when i reverse then try to go back to forward it has that one or two second delay that most esc's have but now in the opposite direction because I reversed the motor.

Am I doing something wrong here?
Change your driving profile.. Do it to I think channel 2? I always use channel 1 cause your not supposed to use reverse when you race so I just keep it like hat
Old 02-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by SLO county race
Change your driving profile.. Do it to I think channel 2? I always use channel 1 cause your not supposed to use reverse when you race so I just keep it like hat
Do you mean use one channel for screwing around in the yard where i need reverse and use the second channel for when i race where i wont need reverse?
Old 02-06-2011, 09:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

ive noticed that with my crawler and the only thing i can think of is that it seems like novak doesnt use the sensor in reverse because my crawler cogs like a mofo in reverse. so if its running sensorless it would acutally be a little more efficent = run faster. i know this some what holds water because my tekins will run faster in dual mode, which is sensored low speed and sensorless high speed, then sensored mode with no timing advance or boost. just my .02
Old 02-06-2011, 09:53 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by TeamAE87
Do you mean use one channel for screwing around in the yard where i need reverse and use the second channel for when i race where i wont need reverse?
Yes. When I'm at my friends track at his house or I'm in the front yepard I have reverse on (profile 2 I think) and when I go to an actual track I just use profile 1. The one without the reverse. Look on your manual and it should explain everything. Novak does a really good job explaining how to program and change any settings you need.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by SLO county race
Yes. When I'm at my friends track at his house or I'm in the front yepard I have reverse on (profile 2 I think) and when I go to an actual track I just use profile 1. The one without the reverse. Look on your manual and it should explain everything. Novak does a really good job explaining how to program and change any settings you need.
Thanks man. Ill give it a shot. I havent played around with drag braking or the brake frequency settings yet so I will give that a shot also.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.