Smoother Jumping for a slash? >

Smoother Jumping for a slash?

Smoother Jumping for a slash?

Old 02-06-2011, 11:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)
Default Smoother Jumping for a slash?

Hey Guys,
Just wondering what you are running out there for shocks on your slash's? I like how mine jumps but i want to get the landing really smooth. The shocks are just stock now,some people say the big bores are good...Some say just to work on the stock shocks. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

We have run a couple of different shock combinations. I really like the Losi XXXT shocks, very smooth and easy to build. they have way less drag in them compared to the traxxas shocks.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Subydude2010
Hey Guys,
Just wondering what you are running out there for shocks on your slash's? I like how mine jumps but i want to get the landing really smooth. The shocks are just stock now,some people say the big bores are good...Some say just to work on the stock shocks. Any input would be appreciated.
What wt oil are you running. This is the most important aspect to a good jump and landing.

Also the weight of your slash will affect this as well. So you may need some heavier weight as for oil and some thicker springs too.

Give us some details and we can help you out.

I.E. lipo, nimh, wheels/tires, etc...

I have a heavy slash and run 60 all around (bashing mostly) I have losi (xxxt) black springs in the front and modified a set of ofna whites (buggy) for the rear. I use the big bores on all four and this set up works flawlessly.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I notice a big handling difference once I went up to 1/8 shocks.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

It also depends on how you approach and land jumps too. You can have a great shock setup but if you cant jump or land correctly it doesn't matter.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:54 PM
Tech Regular

Sorry guys i should have known to post set-up...Running a pretty much stock truck with just double dee tires in rear,bowties in front. Truck has a 2s lipo in it,stock electronics.Outer Hole on front shocks 1 hole out from stock on rear. Im pretty good on jumping i just want to smooooooth the overall landing out.I honestly dont know what the weight is in the shocks as they are just stock and off my brothers slash,could be anywhere from 30-50....Will running 50 weight fluid make it a bit smoother?Seems like the springs are fine, i just want to work on a little more plush landing.I was thinking of getting the TI-Ni shafts,RPM Dual Stage Pistons and running 40wt as thats what they recommend.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Try the Proline shocks. I havent driven with them on, but feeling them side by side on two FT SC10's was a noticeable difference. I have the V2 shocks and the Prolines felt super duper smooth.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:02 PM
Tech Regular

The prolines look nice...but they are expensive and i really dont feel like spending much outside or rebuilding my stockers. I know i can get the type of shock i want out of the stock units.Just need to be slightly smoother when landing on big jumps...
Old 02-06-2011, 01:36 PM
Tech Regular

try different weight oils and pistons if theyre available.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:49 PM
Tech Regular

i have been running stock shocks on my slash since I got it. The only thing I changed was the mounting holes like you did. outside on front and 2 out from stock on rear. I also changed the oils. I was running 40 front and 50 rear and it worked great for me.

thicker oils has got to be the first thing to do if you are on a budget. 40-60wt oils is what almost everyone with a stock slash is running. Some run heavier in front than rear.

Also you could look into changed the springs for stiffer springs a long with thicker oil.
here is a link to springs just go to the traxxas and integy sections. Integy makes a assortment for around 10bucks. Or you can go traxxas.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...AdvancedSearch
Old 02-06-2011, 07:31 PM
Tech Regular

Just put 50 wt all around in there...feels the same as what came out.Could have been 50 wt, i noticed the old fluid was very dirty though. I also noticed when you would compress the shock with out a spring the rear shaft would just stay inside...when i changed the fluid, it actually started to go out slowly.So something is different now.I may actually run 60wt in the rear as this is what steve slayden was running and it seems it may work.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Subydude2010
Just put 50 wt all around in there...feels the same as what came out.Could have been 50 wt, i noticed the old fluid was very dirty though. I also noticed when you would compress the shock with out a spring the rear shaft would just stay inside...when i changed the fluid, it actually started to go out slowly.So something is different now.I may actually run 60wt in the rear as this is what steve slayden was running and it seems it may work.
O ya you are onto something now. The shock is suppose to come back out slowly if it doesnt have a spring. I also thought about running 60wt until I got to the hobby shop and saw it in the bottle. Man that stuff looked like pancake syrup. 50/50 should be a good starting point. I think you will want to fine tune that once you run it.

The 50/50 will make that truck feel like new on the track. You should notice an improvement the first run you make. Just remember the stiffer the shocks are the less weight transfer you will get.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:47 PM
Tech Elite

I run heavy weight oil in the front, anywhere between 80 to 100wt. And 50 to 70wt in the rear. I also run with no rebound, so the shock caps don't blow out.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:18 PM
Tech Prophet

boy, i dont know it does depend on what kind of offroad track you run on like if its rough and bumpy you dont wont to run "50" or "60" wt in the shocks for sure more like "35/30" with the stock shocks and it should jump fine.

if its a smooth track i ran 40/35 in a indoor track i ran 60/50 and it took to much roll off in the corners.

do you have to run yours as a box stock sc ?

i, never had my plastic caps pop off at all as long as you dont have to much pressure in the shocks your fine.

you, can lower the" rear body mounts" as low as you can that will defielty help handling and jumping rpm makes a front body mount were you can run it pretty low i have one i noticed the diffrence in a box stock class i ran.

oh yea put holes in the rear window of the slash that helps also because air can get sucked up the body.

slashs, arent the best jumpers anyways compared to other raceing sc trucks to be honest in stock mode compared to others i seen jump and handle.

i mean you can get the slash to handle good enough to be competive just needs tuning.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:39 AM
Tech Master

look up LOSI XXX NT or XXXT Threaded shocks on ebay!

Best shocks for the money hands down!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.