Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Help me understand the popularity of SCT racing. >

Help me understand the popularity of SCT racing.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help me understand the popularity of SCT racing.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 09:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Oasis
nowadays this class has turned into a hack festival..I know "rubbin is racin" but center punching someone in a corner is not rubbin..um..k..
I'm noticing something different at local tracks...The fast guys have officially embraced short course not because they necessarily like the class, but because it's the biggest class nowadays. Consequently, there's less hacking and more racing. Maybe it's just me, but I think that Maifield choosing to run open SCT at the 2010 Nats instead of mod truck was the nail in the coffin for stadium trucks. I don't plan to get a SCT, but I do plan to sell my T4 in the near future because mod truck is now dead as Dillinger. I don't think that it can even survive as a "big race" class like 1/10 4WD buggy.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:44 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Leodis
I'm noticing something different at local tracks...The fast guys have officially embraced short course not because they necessarily like the class, but because it's the biggest class nowadays. Consequently, there's less hacking and more racing. Maybe it's just me, but I think that Maifield choosing to run open SCT at the 2010 Nats instead of mod truck was the nail in the coffin for stadium trucks. I don't plan to get a SCT, but I do plan to sell my T4 in the near future because mod truck is now dead as Dillinger. I don't think that it can even survive as a "big race" class like 1/10 4WD buggy.
I agree. I think stadium trucks had there last class last year at my track. Everyone that was running them already were running SCT. So either stadium or SCT were going to get dropped and stadium is the one taking the ax at my track.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

We just had our first stadium truck race yesterday. Everyone was pumped. There was walk about bringing out Rustler's. lol. Now that I sold mine, right?
Old 02-06-2011, 10:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

It's very very fun.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

To me it is like F1 vs NASCAR. SCT are offroad racings NASCAR. The buggies are more the F1 cars. SCT you can get away with being more of a hack driver then racing buggies. I can't tell you how many SCT race youtube videos look like nothing more than a novice class race. So look at why NASCAR is more popular than F1 and you will somewhat understand why SCT have become so popular.

I have a SCT it is okay to drive, but the buggy is a lot more fun. Just out playing at the track I will drive the SCT. If I am there to get into and work on lap times and so forth I will grab the buggy every time.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:15 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by CR0SS
To me it is like F1 vs NASCAR. SCT are offroad racings NASCAR. The buggies are more the F1 cars. SCT you can get away with being more of a hack driver then racing buggies. I can't tell you how many SCT race youtube videos look like nothing more than a novice class race. So look at why NASCAR is more popular than F1 and you will somewhat understand why SCT have become so popular.

I have a SCT it is okay to drive, but the buggy is a lot more fun. Just out playing at the track I will drive the SCT. If I am there to get into and work on lap times and so forth I will grab the buggy every time.
Great analogy!
Old 02-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 377 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Schuie Driver
So last night I showed up to a new local track in my area as I wanted to see if my 8 year old son would show any interest. What I saw there was kind of shocking to me. No longer was stock buggy or stock truck the most dominant class, but rather it was SCT. After watching the racing, I'm trying to figure out why that is. Seems like compared to stock truck (which I used to race and really enjoy), the SCT's were less stable, looked less nimble and looked heavy as heck over jumps. What exactly am I missing here? Are they more fun to drive than stock truck? Seems to me the SCT's look great and more realistic, but unless the track is particularly suited for them the chassis and suspension are severly limiting.
there is no need to clog up the threads with silly questions about the popularity of something. If you like it....you do it. Don't like it ....leave it alone. There is always collecting coins or needlepoint.Us who like short course should not have to explain ourselves. The fact that the largest class in most places are short course ....tells the entire story.Nuff said, move on. NOBODY HAS TO DEFEND THE CLASS THEY LIKE TO RUN.THIS IS A ''HOBBY'' For almost all of us ,so lets not spend time trying to diminish other class's or other forms of racing.Thats my opinion, and the reason I race is because ''I'' have fun.....what else matters?
Old 02-06-2011, 12:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Here's my question:

Help me to understand the popularity of ST trucks.

Perhaps I should start a separate thread on it?
Old 02-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by turbowop
Here's my question:

Help me to understand the popularity of ST trucks.

Perhaps I should start a separate thread on it?
+1 For that matter 2wd buggy.

My take is.... It sounds like some tracks have huge SC classes. If the class is big more guys are going to jump in it.

My local track doesn't. It's dominated by 2wd/mod buggy, 4x4/mod buggy. There is quite a few kids in the stock slash class, about 7-8 racers/kids a night. 2wd mod sc does get about 5-6 racers and 4x4 SC is the smallest of all the SC classes.

I think the SC trucks are popular because the trucks look like trucks, and theres a wide variety of SC trucks to pick from, stock slash, 2wd, or 4wd.

It seems the bad boy racers use indoor winter tracks to hone their skills for nitro outdoor. It makes sense that the pros race the quickest/fastest/less forgiving buggys. I'm pretty lucky, I get to watch Tebo,James,Parks,Cathlina and a bunch of other fast guys at the local track.

SC looks good to me cuz those guys are'nt in it...
Old 02-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Personally I believe that Stadium Trucks are simply an evolution of SCT. From time to time trends will always take a backward step when the technology starts overshadowing the fun. I dont really like SC myself, but I think that eventually it will transform into something more like current ST.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

The technology of the trucks is evolving so they are handling better and jumping sweet!

I think the large appeal is the FUN factor. If you look in the driver stands you'll see more smiling faces than anything. It makes ya feel like a kid again.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:17 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Schuie Driver
So last night I showed up to a new local track in my area as I wanted to see if my 8 year old son would show any interest. What I saw there was kind of shocking to me. No longer was stock buggy or stock truck the most dominant class, but rather it was SCT. After watching the racing, I'm trying to figure out why that is. Seems like compared to stock truck (which I used to race and really enjoy), the SCT's were less stable, looked less nimble and looked heavy as heck over jumps. What exactly am I missing here? Are they more fun to drive than stock truck? Seems to me the SCT's look great and more realistic, but unless the track is particularly suited for them the chassis and suspension are severly limiting.
Yo MIke. Whats going on? STill flying those Heli's. Its amazing your son is 8 already. I remember talking to you and he was just born. OMG thats scary.

SCT at are track has been hot for over 3 years and no end in site. Tons of fun and part of that is they don't handle perfect, they look real, and you can bang around some and still have great racing. Its a blast. I have been running them for at least 3 years now.

Brian
Old 02-06-2011, 05:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default FUN!!

The class is a blast for a few reasons. The trucks handle extremely well and are very predictable. Secondly the level of competition is great when you got a bunch of fast guys running something like this. You can bump and shove each other without getting tangled as easy as open wheel. JUST A BLAST TO RUN!!!!
Old 02-06-2011, 05:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Lol it wasn't me!

Great question op, very well said.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CR0SS

+3

Look at the Europe-racing scene... Not many SCT/NASCAR fans there...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.