Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Drag brake on 4x4 vehicles >

Drag brake on 4x4 vehicles

Drag brake on 4x4 vehicles

Old 02-02-2011, 08:44 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Super Coupe
The only reason I want to try it is for the corners where it's hard to get on the brakes then back on the gas. I think I will try a little and see if that helps set the truck up more consistently. I guess the only thing I'm worried about is how hard it will be to not forget I have it in the air.

Saturday if you are still interested in it, we'll use my castle link programmers card and dial in the SMALLEST amount of drag brake. Be ready to be using the throttle the whole way in the air though. I didn't use that much drag brake back when I was doing 2wd all the time. Only about 30% via Castle Link.

Be ready....because it is more than likely going to nose dive live crazy...and if you mess up ONE TIME in the air, your done, your landing totally wrong and will more than likely brake something. Mikes current track is not the track to be trying out drag brake in a 4wd. That huge triple in the back is already lethal enough. Let's not forget that step-up is lethal also.

Also, where are you needing to use brakes at Mikes right now to get setup for the corner? That first sort of long sweeper turn, you should be lifting and keeping just enough throttle to keep the front wheels turning. Then only brake I ever use on the current layout is the turn right before that first double.

Your truck is very fast and honestly one of the fastest ones at the track. You have most of the time very close to the fastest lap, sometimes the fastest lap, in your race. Just work on doing those laps every lap.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Im happy with the speed of the truck but I'm thinking I could be better on entry. I just want that little snap action on the tight turns to set me up for the next obstacle. Before I tightened my truck up with the springs and shock fluid it would do this and actually got my best lap time like this, but It was harder to drive consistent like that.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:01 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Super Coupe
Im happy with the speed of the truck but I'm thinking I could be better on entry. I just want that little snap action on the tight turns to set me up for the next obstacle. Before I tightened my truck up with the springs and shock fluid it would do this and actually got my best lap time like this, but It was harder to drive consistent like that.
Ya said you got your new Spur Gear on, after the stock one leaked every bit of fluid out. So I assume some more center diff fluid was put back in the truck? What'd you use?
Old 02-03-2011, 02:39 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I've tested both on my truck and acheived my fastest lap times with it off. I also like to jump without having to use to much throttle control in the air. You should test them both as it all comes down to what suits your driving style.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:48 AM
Tech Champion

Everyone will go with his own opinion and you'lL never have an answer if you don't try it yourself. This is so subjective. Try, see how you like it and go with the setup you chose.

It's false to say it will nosedive in every situation and it's false to say it will improve the car drastically. It all depends on your driving: try it!
Old 02-03-2011, 06:35 AM
Tech Adept

I have 40% drag brake on my ERBE and i wouldn't have it any other way.

No problem with nose diving you just need to learn some fine throttle control.

I have full brakes set at 60% but rarely use them as i drive 1 handed to braking and steering left tends to be a bit of a stretch.

There's not really much different once your used to drag braking, instead of letting the throttle off, you keep a couple of mm throttle when in the air.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

There's really no right answer. It's like asking if you should run a one-way. Depends on your driving style, track layout, and what type of car. I generally run a small (10%) amount of drag in 1/10 cars just to simulate the feel of a brushed motor and help with turn in. If I ran electric 1/8, pretty sure I wouldn't run much, if any, since I don't run any in my fuel cars. Play with it and see what you like.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Good info guys. I'm going to try 10 percent Saturday and report the results.