Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Ballistic Quality

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 07:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Novak Ballistic Quality

Ok my 3rd Brand New Ballastic just went up on me. The first two went bad at the track and the local Novak guy fixed me right up. One 13.5 and a 10.5 both New. They had something to do with the timing and some Yellow res.?? IDK but he was able to fix them both in about 5 min at the shop.
I have another Brand New 10.5 that I ran 2 nights without any trouble. I then was out front checking some things on my 44.1 and she just shuts off. Some smoke but think god no fire. Temps have always been 110 to 120 after a long race with the 10.5. I really think the Novak guys are pretty cool and I'm Sure they will take a look at this and fix it for me.

I have about $500 bones just in Novak parts and now all of the Motors have gone bad. I have had Great luck with the Havoc Pro SC in both my buggys. One guy I race with HAD 2 brand new Kanetic 2 speed controls. Both fried within 2 weeks of another. I can't say what his settings are don't don't want to ad hear say but.... I know for a Fact he only had 4 race nights on each. One in a 4.1 and the other in a SC10. These Cooked down to nothing but melted plastic.
My Brother has 2 Brand New 13.5s and yes BOTH went bad, 1 in about three min and the other about 2 races later.

My question is why should I or anybody else have to worry about these things just shutting off or burning up? What has Novak done to fix the problems they are having? I only bring this up because my other friends are All having the same problems and then some.

I'm not bashing on the Novak guys because they Always take care of me.I would think that the Novak repair shop is getting tired of fixing these too. They probably just send out new ones IDK. I'll just send it in or whatever but I'm wondering do the other brands have just as many problems with motors?
Old 02-01-2011, 07:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Our Ballistic 17.5 is one of the first ones and still runs strong. If you run boost on the speedo, don't touch the motor timing. The great thing about these motors are completely repairable. I had another non-Novak motor that a wire broke inside that comes off the tabs. I couldn't open it up since it was all solder up together inside. That motor lasted only about 5-6 club races. Ninety bucks went up in smoke but nothing looks burnt inside. When I told the motor builder what happen, he said I was out of luck. At least Novak is willing to repair or replace it if defective.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:56 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Assuming the Novak Havoc Pro SC is what you are using when the motors are going bad?

If so, what are the settings you are using?
Old 02-01-2011, 07:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

What batteries are u running?
Old 02-01-2011, 08:05 AM
Company Representative

You have posted this same basic comment on 3 threads within the last few days; I have also posted timely comments about how to get assistance for such problems. I have posted warnings about how customers are damaging the timing assemblies by over-tightening the timing adjustment screws.

If you need help you can contact [email protected] or PM me here on this forum for personal assistance. We always help customers resolve problems, but posting the same complaint repeatedly will not get your problem taken care of.

We set the factory timing and run all of our new motors (under load) so we know that they all operate properly when they leave our factory. It has been called to my attention that some customers routinely tighten all the screws before running their new motors. In the process, they may be shorting out the timing assembly.

When customers with new motors report this problem, we generally just mail them a new service replacement part. I have also mentioned this several times; we have instituted CS procedures that will get our customers up and running quickly.

Originally Posted by ducatibrandon
Ok my 3rd Brand New Ballastic just went up on me. The first two went bad at the track and the local Novak guy fixed me right up. One 13.5 and a 10.5 both New. They had something to do with the timing and some Yellow res.?? IDK but he was able to fix them both in about 5 min at the shop.
I have another Brand New 10.5 that I ran 2 nights without any trouble. I then was out front checking some things on my 44.1 and she just shuts off. Some smoke but think god no fire. Temps have always been 110 to 120 after a long race with the 10.5. I really think the Novak guys are pretty cool and I'm Sure they will take a look at this and fix it for me.

I have about $500 bones just in Novak parts and now all of the Motors have gone bad. I have had Great luck with the Havoc Pro SC in both my buggys. One guy I race with HAD 2 brand new Kanetic 2 speed controls. Both fried within 2 weeks of another. I can't say what his settings are don't don't want to ad hear say but.... I know for a Fact he only had 4 race nights on each. One in a 4.1 and the other in a SC10. These Cooked down to nothing but melted plastic.
My Brother has 2 Brand New 13.5s and yes BOTH went bad, 1 in about three min and the other about 2 races later.

My question is why should I or anybody else have to worry about these things just shutting off or burning up? What has Novak done to fix the problems they are having? I only bring this up because my other friends are All having the same problems and then some.

I'm not bashing on the Novak guys because they Always take care of me.I would think that the Novak repair shop is getting tired of fixing these too. They probably just send out new ones IDK. I'll just send it in or whatever but I'm wondering do the other brands have just as many problems with motors?
Old 02-01-2011, 08:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

Not trying to cause problems but why should people have to send this stuff in. I'm trying to support your product but really can't understand how a company is ok with having something go out the door that they Know is going to go bad. Make a quality product or lower the price so people know what they are going to get. I for one can't continue to spend $200 a month on R/C motors that don't last.
I'm using a ProSC with all the Stock settings. The speed control has been great just the motor. No advance or anything which is 1 on the stock setting. Feel free to send me a pm and give me a ring. Have a good day
Old 02-01-2011, 08:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
You have posted this same basic comment on 3 threads within the last few days; I have also posted timely comments about how to get assistance for such problems. I have posted warnings about how customers are damaging the timing assemblies by over-tightening the timing adjustment screws.

If you need help you can contact [email protected] or PM me here on this forum for personal assistance. We always help customers resolve problems, but posting the same complaint repeatedly will not get your problem taken care of.

We set the factory timing and run all of our new motors (under load) so we know that they all operate properly when they leave our factory. It has been called to my attention that some customers routinely tighten all the screws before running their new motors. In the process, they may be shorting out the timing assembly.

When customers with new motors report this problem, we generally just mail them a new service replacement part. I have also mentioned this several times; we have instituted CS procedures that will get our customers up and running quickly.
This is my 3rd thread because this is my 3rd motor to go bad. I put these in right out of the box. I don't touch the timing or do Any advancing on the s/c.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:32 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by ducatibrandon
This is my 3rd thread because this is my 3rd motor to go bad. I put these in right out of the box. I don't touch the timing or do Any advancing on the s/c.
Contact tech@teamnovak for assistance and service replacement parts. You may have some other issue---#3 bad motors in a row---you may have a different issue to resolve.

Many times the problem you are experiencing will have an easy fix and you will not need to return your product for service. Unless you include the info below, we may not be able to assist you by email. Please email [email protected] with your question, Our regular CS/Tech Support hours can be located here. Before emailing, take a moment to review the instructions (trouble-shooting guide) originally included with your Novak Item:

Novak Instruction Downloads

Please make your initial email as detailed as possible. Include:

~ speed control (brand/model)
~ motor (brand/wind)
~ number/type of cells
~ battery, brand (c rating/capacity
~ rotor (old/new)
~ connectors used
~ servo (brand/model)
~ radio system (receiver/transmitter)
~ vehicle & gearing
~ warranty claim?
~ lipo cut-off, on/off
~ any external modules (BEC/brand, Glitch Buster)
~ other important info: water damage, corrosive chemical sprays, excess heat, etc
The more information you provide in your first email, the more quickly tech support can offer you assistance; without his information, diagnosing your problem is practically impossible. You can PM me if you want additional assistance.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:02 AM
Tech Adept

switch brands....
Old 02-01-2011, 09:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Sad to say, but I'm on my 3rd Ballistic as well. I hope this one doesn't have any mechanical failures from the get go like my last one. I hope Novak ramps up their QC... they have one cool looking motor.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Sometimes, the 3rd times the charm, may want to consider something else.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:51 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

No one will every accuse me of being a Novak fan thats for sure but in all honesty the Ballistic motors that our shop sells have been extremely reliable and it is one of are main brands of brushless motors. We almost never have problems with them and most of the time if we do its not geared correctly and is quickly fixed with a gear change or speedo setup change.

I have ran a few of those Ballistic motors and they run great. Again I'm far from a Novak fan but I think its one of the best brushless motors on the market for overall performance and reliability.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Really what do you get out these "I blew up 3 motors watch out for brand X" threads. I run a couple different brands so I'm not 100% bias. I've had a couple issues with Novak but I contacted them and they took care of me. The last thing that crossed my mind was to jump on here and say "Watch out for Novak, all there stuff blows up". If you are having that much trouble with Novak it's probly not thier fault and a public forum isn't the place to take care of it. $.02
Old 02-01-2011, 10:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
Really what do you get out these "I blew up 3 motors watch out for brand X" threads. I run a couple different brands so I'm not 100% bias. I've had a couple issues with Novak but I contacted them and they took care of me. The last thing that crossed my mind was to jump on here and say "Watch out for Novak, all there stuff blows up". If you are having that much trouble with Novak it's probly not thier fault and a public forum isn't the place to take care of it. $.02
I was thinking the same...
Old 02-01-2011, 10:53 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by racer1812
If someone is toasting this many motors in one season. It's more likely that they are unknowingly the reason. I've ran my share of brands, and they've all lasted out more than one season. And I've also toasted a few myself, but that's of my own fault. One of them being a Novak motor, and they were nice enough to replace it for only a shipping fee. I'd even told them that I was the reason for the burnt magnet.
Besides, how many company officials come on this site and address or fix the problem? NovakTwo is one in a few that I know of.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.