Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Novak Ballistic Quality >

Novak Ballistic Quality

Novak Ballistic Quality

Old 02-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I personally don't have a problem with people reporting there experiences both good and bad with companies so long as they have given the company a chance to fix any issue. Sounds like Novak is doing that for you. If you find though that you are just not having luck with there stuff, maybe get what you got fixed, sell it, and try something else for the time being.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

I never said they won't fix anything. They have been a Great help and so far there customer service is A+. I'm not bashing them on a personal level because again they have been great. I just feel there is a problem that needs to be addressed. I will continue running these just because they are so friendly but can only afford so much.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ducatibrandon
Ok my 3rd Brand New Ballastic just went up on me. The first two went bad at the track and the local Novak guy fixed me right up. One 13.5 and a 10.5 both New. They had something to do with the timing and some Yellow res.?? IDK but he was able to fix them both in about 5 min at the shop.
You had THREE of motors go bad with some mystery problem that you can't quite explain.. Novak fixed them. Hmmmm......Sounds to me like you need to ask them what you can do to prevent this problem from happening again.

I have another Brand New 10.5 that I ran 2 nights without any trouble. I then was out front checking some things on my 44.1 and she just shuts off. Some smoke but think god no fire. Temps have always been 110 to 120 after a long race with the 10.5. I really think the Novak guys are pretty cool and I'm Sure they will take a look at this and fix it for me.
Smoke from the ESC or the motor? Your temps may have been low before, but what where they this time?

My Brother has 2 Brand New 13.5s and yes BOTH went bad, 1 in about three min and the other about 2 races later.
Perhaps the problem is hereditary? JK

What was the temp of the ESC and motor when he took it off the track? Electronics can go bad out of the blue. Usually when new. I had and ESC (not a Novak) that went full throttle and smoked within the first 5 minutes of running it got replaced NP. If it was soon after he got it, most reputable companies have limited time return policy just for that reason. Novak is one of the good ones and has a great return policy. You work with them and they will work with you. I have also burnt out ESC's and motors totaly my fault. Turns out i had a spool that was messed up and adding drag under power. Could not tell it on the bench, If you brother burnt out two motors, within a short period of time I would take a good look at the setup.

My question is why should I or anybody else have to worry about these things just shutting off or burning up? What has Novak done to fix the problems they are having? I only bring this up because my other friends are All having the same problems and then some.

I'm not bashing on the Novak guys because they Always take care of me.I would think that the Novak repair shop is getting tired of fixing these too. They probably just send out new ones IDK. I'll just send it in or whatever but I'm wondering do the other brands have just as many problems with motors?
All companies are prone to having systemic problems. In every instance I have ever heard of, Novak has stood by their products.
  • Nothing lasts forever
  • Some times things just break
  • Things break sooner when not handled correctly

You may not be bashing on the Novak guys, but it sure sounds like your are bashing on Novak when they have plainly shown you a path to a resolution.

This is my 3rd thread because this is my 3rd motor to go bad. I put these in right out of the box. I don't touch the timing or do Any advancing on the s/c.
What exactly is an s/c? Short Course? Short Course ESC? Above you said the problem was with your motor? If you tweaked the motor that is entirely different than tweaking the ESC. Seems like we are not getting the full picture here.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 240Z
What exactly is an s/c? Short Course? Short Course ESC? Above you said the problem was with your motor? If you tweaked the motor that is entirely different than tweaking the ESC. Seems like we are not getting the full picture here.
I would guess he's refering to the Speed Control with "s/c".
Old 02-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by 240Z
You had THREE of motors go bad with some mystery problem that you can't quite explain.. Novak fixed them. Hmmmm......Sounds to me like you need to ask them what you can do to prevent this problem from happening again.

Smoke from the ESC or the motor? Your temps may have been low before, but what where they this time?
Motor the ESC is working fine

Perhaps the problem is hereditary? JK

What was the temp of the ESC and motor when he took it off the track? Electronics can go bad out of the blue. Usually when new. I had and ESC (not a Novak) that went full throttle and smoked within the first 5 minutes of running it got replaced NP. If it was soon after he got it, most reputable companies have limited time return policy just for that reason. Novak is one of the good ones and has a great return policy. You work with them and they will work with you. I have also burnt out ESC's and motors totaly my fault. Turns out i had a spool that was messed up and adding drag under power. Could not tell it on the bench, If you brother burnt out two motors, within a short period of time I would take a good look at the setup.

All companies are prone to having systemic problems. In every instance I have ever heard of, Novak has stood by their products.
  • Nothing lasts forever
  • Some times things just break
  • Things break sooner when not handled correctly

You may not be bashing on the Novak guys, but it sure sounds like your are bashing on Novak when they have plainly shown you a path to a resolution.

The local Novak guy told me that they have a sensor problem, Nothing that me the Customer did wrong. He does this every night for these.
The motors have all had some sort of problem. Two of them a sensor of sorts but this one IDK. She just put out some smoke. Does not smell fried but something is wak.

One 13.5 in a 4.1 buggy and 1 10.5 in a 44.1
The last one I put in my 44.1 and took the good 10.5 and will be using this in my Short corse truck I'm building.

S/C speed control

I thought I pointed out the guy next to me had problems. What his setting are I do not know. He could have cooked them with timing or gearing or whatever. I just found it to be strange that his new Novak stuff all has gone bad.
I'm still running two of them without Any troubles but these are the two that have been fixed. If I had them geared wrong they would have cooked by now. This seems to be just when they are new with Very little time.

As far as Hereditary that could very well be. lol Whatever I'm sure it will get fixed. This is not the end of the world for me, just toys.

Last edited by ducatibrandon; 02-01-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
You have posted this same basic comment on 3 threads within the last few days; I have also posted timely comments about how to get assistance for such problems. I have posted warnings about how customers are damaging the timing assemblies by over-tightening the timing adjustment screws.

If you need help you can contact [email protected] or PM me here on this forum for personal assistance. We always help customers resolve problems, but posting the same complaint repeatedly will not get your problem taken care of.

We set the factory timing and run all of our new motors (under load) so we know that they all operate properly when they leave our factory. It has been called to my attention that some customers routinely tighten all the screws before running their new motors. In the process, they may be shorting out the timing assembly.

When customers with new motors report this problem, we generally just mail them a new service replacement part. I have also mentioned this several times; we have instituted CS procedures that will get our customers up and running quickly.

I'v never seen this brought up before...

how tight is too tight?
Old 02-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Tech Regular

I have a ballistic that I bought last year and I put about 5 race days on it. Thats 15 5min heats and 5 10min mains. I never had a single problem. Temps were around 160* at the end of each run. I did a full tear down cleaning on it about every other race and it has been great.

I plan on getting a new set of bearings for it for next season but thats it.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I feel your pain, I had 3 mamba monster escs fry on me. The first one went up in a glorious blaze in 10 seconds on my first lap at the track, 2nd one, the esc wire puled off the board( it was secure) 3rd one had a bad solder connecion on the bec. This was all in 1 1/2 months. Castle stood by their product and replaced them. I now have been running two more of them with 0 problems for the last 8 months. It is possible to have some bad luck. Ever hear the saying,"if it can it will," somethies your the guy it happens to. I still buy castles product.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by whitrzac

how tight is too tight?
I'm also wondering this too, I'm thinking snug is ideal (?).
I have noticed ever since switching to LOSI hex wrenches that it is way easier to feel the tightness due to the smaller handle and hex bit of the tool.
I work on stuff all the time and it can be so easy to over tighten something but rarely have these issues (anymore, there was a day I did LOL).
But it is a night and day difference with my new LOSI tools.
Longer hex wrenches can offer more leverage thus making something too tight without realizing it.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I am waiting for a couple more of my Ballistics to fry before I head to the post office. They need to recall the Motors. Luckily none of mine took the esc with them. I know lots of people from my track have had similar problems. I have had great luck with the Trinity D3 Motors.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:38 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Ok my 3rd Brand New Ballastic just went up on me. The first two went bad at the track and the local Novak guy fixed me right up. One 13.5 and a 10.5 both New. They had something to do with the timing and some Yellow res.?? IDK but he was able to fix them both in about 5 min at the shop.
I have another Brand New 10.5 that I ran 2 nights without any trouble. I then was out front checking some things on my 44.1 and she just shuts off. Some smoke but think god no fire. Temps have always been 110 to 120 after a long race with the 10.5. I really think the Novak guys are pretty cool and I'm Sure they will take a look at this and fix it for me.

I have about $500 bones just in Novak parts and now all of the Motors have gone bad. I have had Great luck with the Havoc Pro SC in both my buggys. One guy I race with HAD 2 brand new Kanetic 2 speed controls. Both fried within 2 weeks of another. I can't say what his settings are don't don't want to ad hear say but.... I know for a Fact he only had 4 race nights on each. One in a 4.1 and the other in a SC10. These Cooked down to nothing but melted plastic.
My Brother has 2 Brand New 13.5s and yes BOTH went bad, 1 in about three min and the other about 2 races later.

My question is why should I or anybody else have to worry about these things just shutting off or burning up? What has Novak done to fix the problems they are having? I only bring this up because my other friends are All having the same problems and then some.

I'm not bashing on the Novak guys because they Always take care of me.I would think that the Novak repair shop is getting tired of fixing these too. They probably just send out new ones IDK. I'll just send it in or whatever but I'm wondering do the other brands have just as many problems with motors?
I've had a couple of Ballistics, running with boost, and never had any problems. Nor have I heard from any locals about problems with them.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Tech Adept

My 13.5 took a crap after a year of racing. I must have bad luck. lol
Old 02-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by mfcoupe32
My 13.5 took a crap after a year of racing. I must have bad luck. lol
LOL nice. That I'll take all day and with the AZ heat. I love the speed control and will continue to use them. I like to run the same product combo because it keeps the "there product" caused it to a min. Plus they test the SC and Motors together all the time to make sure they work.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

It is good when they fix them for you, but it sucks when it takes you out of the main. I personally have had no problems with the ballistics but have read about a few problems on here about them. If the 'guy' is fixing them at the track for you, then there must be a 'known' problem. Best of luck to you.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by whitrzac

how tight is too tight?
Now you guys are maKIN me nervous.......... NOVAK TWO?????

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.