does acetone hurt the tire / wheel /insert >

does acetone hurt the tire / wheel /insert

Like Tree1Likes

does acetone hurt the tire / wheel /insert

Old 11-27-2013, 07:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ThePanda
Are you glueing down in the channel of the wheel? That is where the gluing should take place. You shouldn't be able to see any glue when you are done gluing too. Glue should be down in the wheel bead, and on the wall of the Chanel. Of the wheel.

If you get glue on the outside of the bead, the tire will flex, and the glue and tire will crack.
I definitely do my best to get it down in the channel and in the bead of the wheel. I have a suspicion I may be using too much glue.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JeepnMike
I definitely do my best to get it down in the channel and in the bead of the wheel. I have a suspicion I may be using too much glue.
I guess that could do it too.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ThePanda
I did a by the book boiling. Gentle simmer, left for 45 minutes.

I was able to chip off any residual glue on the wheels and tires. Though, I did have to filet off some more stubborn pieces off the tires.
Just finished boiling to save my de wheels. Had an old crock pot that worked out perfect. Boiled water first in tea pot then poured into crock pot. Removed foams and most of tire before starting. Left in pot for over an hour (probably more like 1.5) and the rubber came off great. Put back in water if rubber is stubborn and try again in 30 minutes. Wheels look great and are ready for new tires and foams.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

acetone is a solution (literally), so the best result is when you use it first time. after a while, the acetone is not very clean and after you take your tire out, it will dry as a layer of glue on your tire.

for tire compound, don't put clay compound into acetone, it will shrink and get totally ruined. Other than that, others seems fine, but doubt as good.

for foams, I found close cell foam may shrink (get smaller) after the acetone. While open cell will get back to the size, it will get a lot softer after. I'd recommend to take out the foam before you put them into acetone.