Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
witch motor is best for my vxl rusler? >

witch motor is best for my vxl rusler?

witch motor is best for my vxl rusler?

Old 01-30-2011, 09:44 AM
Tech Rookie

Cool witch motor is best for my vxl rusler?

Well since I burnt up my Novak Sport 8.5 that was in my Stampede I was thinking about buying a new Ballistic 8.5t motor. I have a vxl rustler that is running pretty fast. Im running a 3s 5400 lipo in it. I was thinking about swapping out the valineon setup and putting that in the stampede and putting the ballistic in the rustler. I reckon my question is do you think the ballistic with the havok 3s esc will out perform the valineon thats already in it. I dont really take the rusty offroad, me and my friends just drag race and do parkinglot bashing at are local lowes. Another question that I have is do you think the ballistic 8.5 will be the correct turn motor for the rustler or the stampede? Any advice would be appriciated thanks for lookn!
Old 01-30-2011, 12:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Running a 3s will make the motor heat up pretty quick, it should work but watch the temps, prolly how the other motor blew.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

You could pick up the castle SCT system for around 100$. Since its a 4pole motor it has tons of torque, and would run cooler than the ballistic on 3s.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by brickshouse
Running a 3s will make the motor heat up pretty quick, it should work but watch the temps, prolly how the other motor blew.
the other blew b/4 i went 3s. So do yall think the ballistic will outperform the stock vxl motor?
Old 02-02-2011, 03:10 PM
Tech Rookie

any other advice on motors?
Old 02-03-2011, 07:02 AM
Tech Rookie

reckon im in the wrong forum!
Old 02-03-2011, 07:14 AM
Tech Master

try a Mamba 4600. The VXL is 3500 so it makes sense the Mamba would run stronger.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Ive run the ballistic motors. 17.5 and 13.5 for spec classes mostly. They are pretty solid. My 17.5 is getting on the weak side but ive been running it overgeared and on the hot side...

Watch your gearing. Changing setups, esp motors calls for a gearing change. Maybe you need to gear lower since you are running 3S. Im sure the 8.5 likes to be geared pretty low also.

Check temps often.

I havent run a 3S pack at all yet, have to stick to 2S for racing. I will say that an esc can make a difference as well. I moved from the Havoc 3S to a tekin RS and wont be looking back. Boost and Turbo opened up a whole new world for me. I used the RS on my tired 17.5 and it now runs faster than my 13.5 on the havoc 3S easily...