R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-22-2011, 10:07 PM   #61
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Almost cant believe a mod hasnt stepped in to be honest with all the flaming going on in this thread. Cant believe not one ESC has not gone up in flames with all this heat

Far as cloning, coping , reverse engineering goes. Its become part of the hobby.

When speaking of ethics, Castle has a few patents that i find questionable at best but that is for the lawyers to figure out.

That said can we get back on topic. Which is about the turnigy trackstar / Toro 8 ESC.

Its a hobby, enjoy it for what it is and TRY to have a good time.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:29 PM   #62
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Note72 View Post
While I do agree with you on that, I also admit that I'd rather pay $67 than $170 for something whose materials cost less than $30.
Materials? What you think you can make one of these with $30 bucks worth of parts from radio shack? Be my guest. What about the software on the chip? Or the machines needed to print the PCB and solder the components? Or the cost to design something like that? If you think Castle is pocketing $140 bucks every time they sell one then you're severely misguided.

-Tony
Futaba 4pk FASST 2.4GHz Radio
RacerX20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:09 AM   #63
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-E-A-P-E-R- View Post
My buddy bought 2 of these ESC's. They do work but when they get warm they seem to cog really bad. Honestly if your just bashing or playing around they would be perfect.

He has sinse removed it from his car and reinstalled the XeRun 80A him and I have been running. I think the hobbywing is by far the most reliable 1/8 esc on the market. And it sensored. And it's less than $100 shipped.

I used to run the rx8 but honestly I have been through over 10 of them. After a while the warrantee runs out and it really doesn't matter how good there warrantee is.
And MADE IN CHINA I like my Xerun's. Speed Passion's esc are made by Hobbywing and that is what Marc Rheinard uses in 1/10 onroad with succes. No novak, no tekin!
Old 03-23-2011, 08:00 AM   #64
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)
Send a message via AIM to RCaddict0
Default WoW!

A simple thread on a new budget ESC has turned into MaDnEsS! Does it really matter what ESC you run? Really? It doesnt make you a bad guy, patriot, american or terrorest. LOL.... If you can afford Tekin or Castle then buy all means buy it, there great! If you cant afford it then buy Hobbywing. If you cant afford HW, then buy a Turnigy or Hobbyking! If you have the money, but watch what you spend or try to find decent stuff at good prices thats fine too! Gesh! This thread is gonna get shut down guys. Were all adults, well most of us. I love my Castle stuff, and my "Chinese" stuff! I love America, but will buy from Hobbyking. My Castle stuff is great and when theres a problem there great and the quick to fix it. I do have to agree that Hobbywing makes some of the most durable and reliable ESC's Ive ever used. I have put them to the test and they never break a sweat!
As for Castle making stuff in the USA and China. The CC guy said on the Tech in the big arguement over the Leapord Hobby motors that Castle's ESC's are made in the USA factory in KS. They use US and Chinese parts, but there assembled my americans in America. They have a factory in China where they make the motors. He said it was the only way to produce them at a reasonable cost. But there production and QC are overseen by Castle.
Lets face it guys! We support China about every time we buy anything anywhere. It sucks, but thats the way it is.
God Bless and I hope we can all just talk RC peacefully!
RCaddict0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:22 AM   #65
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCaddict0 View Post
A simple thread on a new budget ESC has turned into MaDnEsS! Does it really matter what ESC you run? Really? It doesnt make you a bad guy, patriot, american or terrorest. LOL.... If you can afford Tekin or Castle then buy all means buy it, there great! If you cant afford it then buy Hobbywing. If you cant afford HW, then buy a Turnigy or Hobbyking! If you have the money, but watch what you spend or try to find decent stuff at good prices thats fine too! Gesh! This thread is gonna get shut down guys. Were all adults, well most of us. I love my Castle stuff, and my "Chinese" stuff! I love America, but will buy from Hobbyking. My Castle stuff is great and when theres a problem there great and the quick to fix it. I do have to agree that Hobbywing makes some of the most durable and reliable ESC's Ive ever used. I have put them to the test and they never break a sweat!
As for Castle making stuff in the USA and China. The CC guy said on the Tech in the big arguement over the Leapord Hobby motors that Castle's ESC's are made in the USA factory in KS. They use US and Chinese parts, but there assembled my americans in America. They have a factory in China where they make the motors. He said it was the only way to produce them at a reasonable cost. But there production and QC are overseen by Castle.
Lets face it guys! We support China about every time we buy anything anywhere. It sucks, but thats the way it is.
God Bless and I hope we can all just talk RC peacefully!
+1000 Couldnt agree more.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:03 AM   #66
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStaypuff View Post
Before knowing it was a clone, I looked at the Trackstar but went with the EZRun SC8 120a esc.

The EZRun SC8 seems to be a much better product for not a lot more money. Plus it was compatible with my programmer (I have four other EZRun esc's which have performed great).

The SC8 esc will be going in an Ofna Lx1e with a Castle 1800kv motor I picked up for $65. I'm sure on 4s lipo it will be more than I can handle for club racing purposes.

Anyhow, throwing the SC8 esc out there as an option for anybody considering the Trackstar.
I have just ordered the SC8 combo with the 2700kv motor. It is going in my LX-1e also. I burned up my hobbyking 100a speed controler during a heat race. I got involved in a pileup and now it won't reliably start the motor up. It will just sit there and jerk but will run if it gets going. I can't wait until my SC8 gets here. Is there a thread on the SC8? I can't find one.
duanew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:20 AM   #67
Tech Fanatic

No thread but there should be one. A very good ESC
Old 03-23-2011, 11:57 AM   #68
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Glad to hear some reports on this ESC. Must admit I've been looking at this thing as a possible backup ESC to my Castle stuff. It's priced similar to the HobbyWing 80A 1/8 Scale ESC at Hobbypartz. I wouldn't even consider this ESC if Hobbypartz had the Hobbywing in stock as it's been a rock solid unit. That and the Hobbywing has now found a permanent home other than a backup. Sounds like peoples experience with this ESC are mixed? Would like to hear more user feedback on this ESC.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #69
Tech Regular

Originally i'd only heard of the HK 150A & Trackstar. Now my list has those 2, the toro 8, the HW EZRun SC8 & the XeRun. I could probably do the SC8 if i skimp on a new battery.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:41 AM   #70
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)
Send a message via AIM to RCaddict0

Does anyone here have the TORO? I see the Trackstar is rated at 250A peak, but the Toro is like 950A. So I think I would rather the Toro. What about the Hobbyking 150A? Anyone?
RCaddict0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:57 AM   #71
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCaddict0 View Post
Does anyone here have the TORO? I see the Trackstar is rated at 250A peak, but the Toro is like 950A. So I think I would rather the Toro. What about the Hobbyking 150A? Anyone?
I have the Toro8 in a 8th scale buggy on 4s. Not as smooth as a Hobbywing but works just fine none the less.

The HK 150a is made by ZTW and to be honest dont know much about it but have only heard good things .
Old 03-24-2011, 06:57 AM   #72
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew View Post
I have just ordered the SC8 combo with the 2700kv motor. It is going in my LX-1e also. I burned up my hobbyking 100a speed controler during a heat race. I got involved in a pileup and now it won't reliably start the motor up. It will just sit there and jerk but will run if it gets going. I can't wait until my SC8 gets here. Is there a thread on the SC8? I can't find one.
its in the nexx8 thread, i posted there. i m using it in my nexx8 buggy with 3s.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:04 AM   #73
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc4798 View Post
No thread but there should be one. A very good ESC
yes its! runs cool n the esc is 120amps. its also smaller
Old 03-27-2011, 07:12 PM   #74
Tech Rookie

Thumbs down

[QUOTE=FTSC10;8841226]So many of you people are the very reason why awesome companies fail, and crappy knockoff places prevail.

some of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Those of you who are to damn cheap to buy good electronics from reputable companies, i pity you when your POS knockoff fails and you're out the money, and needing another ESC.

[/quote/] Not everybody grew up with a golden spoon up there butt like you did to be able to afford 30+ brushless systems like you. This hobby ain't cheap, and if you criticize anyone who saves money especially if you dont know there financial situation, you are the true idiot on this thread. Since you are too good for this chinese POS garbage then why do you buy turnigy batteries? you are a hippocrite, and a good one at that!
raptor33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:24 PM   #75
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=raptor33;8871358]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTSC10 View Post
So many of you people are the very reason why awesome companies fail, and crappy knockoff places prevail.

some of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Those of you who are to damn cheap to buy good electronics from reputable companies, i pity you when your POS knockoff fails and you're out the money, and needing another ESC.

[/quote/] Not everybody grew up with a golden spoon up there butt like you did to be able to afford 30+ brushless systems like you. This hobby ain't cheap, and if you criticize anyone who saves money especially if you dont know there financial situation, you are the true idiot on this thread. Since you are too good for this chinese POS garbage then why do you buy turnigy batteries? you are a hippocrite, and a good one at that!
lol +1

I already got my bit in on this guy. Besides, I've seen some of his comments on other threads. People like him are common in places of public speech. They're usually referred to as Trolls