Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 09:18 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Help!!!

My daughter wants to get into short course racing. She is absolutely a novice r/c'er. In fact she has never had anything other than Wal-Mart type r/c's. I'm wondering what to get her that's not going to break the bank, yet give her a competetive vehicle for racing. The one that I keep going back to is the Team Associated SC10 Pro Comp brushless RTR. I can get it for about $220. She really likes the Traxxas Slash, but I have two issues with that. First, as I understand it, the slash doesn't do very well in SC racing due to the high center of gravity. Second, the brushless 2wd Slash is like $330. I also showed her the HPI Blitz and the Kyosho Ultima SC. The issue I'm having with those is: one, they're not brushless, and two, neither has a 2.4ghz TX/RX. Any recommendations out there?

Also, I was thinking about getting a Traxxas Slash 4x4 VXL for myself. I'd like to bash/ race. Is this a good one to start with?
Old 01-16-2011, 09:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Yes the Slash is more for like bashing etc were as the Blitz is more race truck, but also is very strong as well. The intial might be high but in the long run it is not bad at all. IMO this is a very addicting hobby.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by swboats
My daughter wants to get into short course racing. She is absolutely a novice r/c'er. In fact she has never had anything other than Wal-Mart type r/c's. I'm wondering what to get her that's not going to break the bank, yet give her a competetive vehicle for racing. The one that I keep going back to is the Team Associated SC10 Pro Comp brushless RTR. I can get it for about $220. She really likes the Traxxas Slash, but I have two issues with that. First, as I understand it, the slash doesn't do very well in SC racing due to the high center of gravity. Second, the brushless 2wd Slash is like $330. I also showed her the HPI Blitz and the Kyosho Ultima SC. The issue I'm having with those is: one, they're not brushless, and two, neither has a 2.4ghz TX/RX. Any recommendations out there?

Also, I was thinking about getting a Traxxas Slash 4x4 VXL for myself. I'd like to bash/ race. Is this a good one to start with?
Just go with a stock Traxxas Slash. It is cheap, durable and RTR and can hit the track out of the box. It would be perfect for someone new. I wouldn't get her a brushless truck from the start. It will be too powerful and she'll be placed into the mod class with better racers. I would normally recommend an SC10, but it just isn't as durable as the Slash. That, and the fact you mentioned she's never actually used a hobby-grade RC.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

I have a 4x4 VXL. Its' my first SC and love it. If you plan on racing, the center diff. is a must + a good set of tires. The stock wheels / tires look good - but can be challenging to get around the track. The stock tires are fine for bashing. The truck is petty durable, I have beat it up pretty good and only had to replace a shock shaft and right rear suspension arm. One weak point I did find, the center diff. bearing.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Tyler350
Just go with a stock Traxxas Slash. It is cheap, durable and RTR and can hit the track out of the box. It would be perfect for someone new. I wouldn't get her a brushless truck from the start. It will be too powerful and she'll be placed into the mod class with better racers. I would normally recommend an SC10, but it just isn't as durable as the Slash. That, and the fact you mentioned she's never actually used a hobby-grade RC.
Did I mention she is almost 16? She really has no interest in bashing, just racing really. Are you sure that she could keep up with the competition with a stock slash over a stock Blitz or SC10?
Old 01-16-2011, 10:22 PM
Tech Prophet

Did I mention she is almost 16? She really has no interest in bashing, just racing really. Are you sure that she could keep up with the competition with a stock slash over a stock Blitz or SC10?

il, be honest with you in order to keep up with the guys with the blitzs and sc10 you have to be a smooth driver or just keep the wheels on the ground .

ive, beaten guys with blitzs and losi strikes in a stock class its competive you just have to mess with a few things to get the slash competive its good in a stock class espially with softer tires if your track allows that.

but really she should just have fun with it and eventally she will keep up with them guys.

heres the good thing about the slash if you dont have a lhs pep boys carrys a little bit of thier parts.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I wasn't aware of her age. The SC10 is probably the best racer of the 3, so if that's what she wants, I'd say go for it. I was just stating that the easiest way to get into racing is definitely the stock class. I personally run an SC10 and love it. Honestly...it's the person driving the vehicle that determines which truck is fastest. I've seen Blitz beat SC10's, and Sc10's beat Blitz. Then I've seen Slashes wipe the field.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You got PM
Old 01-16-2011, 10:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Okay, so one more option. Do any of you know anything about Exceed R/C? Cuz she LOVES this truck...

http://www.nitrorcx.com/51c809-pro-r...ep-ccblue.html
Old 01-16-2011, 10:48 PM
Tech Prophet

Okay, so one more option. Do any of you know anything about Exceed R/C? Cuz she LOVES this truck...

http://www.nitrorcx.com/51c809-pro-r...ep-ccblue.html

no dont get that trust me its junk !
Old 01-16-2011, 11:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

go with the brushless. If you buy brushed you will be replacing the motor sooner than you like. You can run lipos on brushless but it will kill a brushed motor and the esc usually dont have the lipo cut off. I let my daughter drive my b4 around the track and even my cougar sv when I had it. I am running stock but she is only 12. Thats just my opinion. good luck with what ever you do.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

your going to have to get a SC truck and be able to get parts for it.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

The SC10 sounds like everything you need.
But I would tell you to get the RPM front bumper for it. It helps protect the chassis from hard front end impacts. And good set of rear tires for more traction.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:59 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by whjdm069
go with the brushless. If you buy brushed you will be replacing the motor sooner than you like. You can run lipos on brushless but it will kill a brushed motor and the esc usually dont have the lipo cut off. I let my daughter drive my b4 around the track and even my cougar sv when I had it. I am running stock but she is only 12. Thats just my opinion. good luck with what ever you do.

i run a 12t titan motor with a 3800 mah 2 cell lipo and its been fine the motor doesnt even get warm inless i gear it up to 2 to 3 teeth.

but a 3 cell lipo i can see it burning up fast .