Wiki Posts
Search

What's the best 550 motor combo for short course

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 05:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default What's the best 550 motor combo for short course

I'm running a velineon in a hyper 10sc and was thinking of upgrading, what the best combo, kv, turn, out of the 2011 selection, I'm running 2s aswell, as well as airtronics electrics???

Cheers
Old 01-11-2011, 06:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

We've had very good luck with the MMP/5.5 Ballistic combo....

I have an RX8/SC4x 5.5 setup in my Hyper, and it works flawlessly.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I ran the novak sc system in my hyper and love it. No issuse at all. I also run a large 8th scale outdoor track
Old 01-11-2011, 08:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

mmp with a 4.5 you can gear a bit lower and keep temps down and still have plenty off speed for big tracks
Old 01-11-2011, 08:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Tekin RX8 ESC + Tekin Redline SC4X 4.5

I personaly use a Monster Mamba for a ESC paired with this motor and it runs flawless.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

i run a mmp with a 4.5hv and love it,but im seeing problems with some buddys with thier mmp's with ballistic 4.5 and the tekin 4.5-like its having a hard time with sensor,like its not reading them.2 buddys ! IDK
Old 01-12-2011, 01:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I recommend a Mamba Max Pro ESC with a Novak 4.5HV motor. I would recommend to run an external BEC with the Mamba Max Pro.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Novak ballistic 4.5 with 14mm tunning rotor

and

LRP Sphere Comp TC spec

= bomb proof reliability
Old 01-12-2011, 03:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Neu 1509 1y, mmp, 17t pinion=super fast and super torque in a hyper10 sc
Old 01-14-2011, 12:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spunkysandoval
Novak ballistic 4.5 with 14mm tunning rotor

and

LRP Sphere Comp TC spec

= bomb proof reliability
yup ive seen that setup and the tc spec i a good choice
Old 01-14-2011, 08:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

im running the neu/castle sct motor and mmp.geared at 14t runs real fast no heat issues at all.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

It depends on the type of feel you want. The Castle Sidewinder SC Combo will give you similar power to any of the 550 based systems but it has its ups and downs. The ups are price, run time, low temps, simplicity, and very low weight. The downside is the fact that they are uncensored...but depending on the types of problems you have experienced you may be tired of dealing with sensored systems.

The Novak Ballistic 550s all work good. From personal experience these motors work awesome powered by a Novak GTB or Novak Havok Pro. I also run the MMP but I have had issues with some of them. For some reason the MMP seems a little finicky and I have had a lot of annoying problems with them. They are not bad but lack the ease and smoothness of the non-timing adjustable Novaks which the motors were made to be compatible with. The motor, 4.5 - 6.5 all depends on what you want. Personally, I think the 4.5 is overkill. The 5.5 with a 16 pinion (in a Jammin SCRTor Ofna Hyper 10) to me is the best set up. You get a lot of top speed, the motor makes good torque, and even if you grab all the throttle that you can the tires don't spin uncontrollably. The 6.5 with a 17 pinion is a little slow but is ultra controllable and allows you to really control the truck.

The ultimate is the Tekin system but I wouldn't bother for 2 reasons. The RX8 esc is too big and the whole thing is really expensive. As far as function goes its great but its lacking a little in the form departmant.

Please keep in mind that this is my personal preference and opinion. I have, in my garage, all of these systems and have tried them all so at least my opinion is based on actual experience. Currently I have 2 Jammins that each run 550 hv motors with MMPs (I have 4.5-6.5s and I swap them in and out)and 2 hypers. One hyper runs the Sidewinder SCT system and the other runs a 5.5 550 HV powered by a Novak GTB. My favorite truck is the Hyper 10 powered by the SCT system. Its light, agile, torquey, and about as fast as any of the HV powered trucks.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by QDRHRSE
It depends on the type of feel you want. The Castle Sidewinder SC Combo will give you similar power to any of the 550 based systems but it has its ups and downs. The ups are price, run time, low temps, simplicity, and very low weight. The downside is the fact that they are uncensored...but depending on the types of problems you have experienced you may be tired of dealing with sensored systems.

The Novak Ballistic 550s all work good. From personal experience these motors work awesome powered by a Novak GTB or Novak Havok Pro. I also run the MMP but I have had issues with some of them. For some reason the MMP seems a little finicky and I have had a lot of annoying problems with them. They are not bad but lack the ease and smoothness of the non-timing adjustable Novaks which the motors were made to be compatible with. The motor, 4.5 - 6.5 all depends on what you want. Personally, I think the 4.5 is overkill. The 5.5 with a 16 pinion (in a Jammin SCRTor Ofna Hyper 10) to me is the best set up. You get a lot of top speed, the motor makes good torque, and even if you grab all the throttle that you can the tires don't spin uncontrollably. The 6.5 with a 17 pinion is a little slow but is ultra controllable and allows you to really control the truck.

The ultimate is the Tekin system but I wouldn't bother for 2 reasons. The RX8 esc is too big and the whole thing is really expensive. As far as function goes its great but its lacking a little in the form departmant.

Please keep in mind that this is my personal preference and opinion. I have, in my garage, all of these systems and have tried them all so at least my opinion is based on actual experience. Currently I have 2 Jammins that each run 550 hv motors with MMPs (I have 4.5-6.5s and I swap them in and out)and 2 hypers. One hyper runs the Sidewinder SCT system and the other runs a 5.5 550 HV powered by a Novak GTB. My favorite truck is the Hyper 10 powered by the SCT system. Its light, agile, torquey, and about as fast as any of the HV powered trucks.

Thats a good post.

I'll be able to contribute after I try my newly acquired MMP w/ Novak 4.5 this Saturday

Few little questions I'll hijack into this thread..not specific to my combo necessarily, but 550 setups in general.

I've been running a 4000mah 30c 2s on my VXL system....easily getting through 8 min races - will runtime be affected that bad that I'll need more battery now I have more power?

I'm assuming tire wear might increase a little.....any insight on how much more?