Wiki Posts
Search

new to tracks any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 05:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SLO county race
I started rc when I was 10 I'd say then actually started racing when I was 15 or 16. I'm now going to be 18 in march. The first track I ever went to was ocrc and HOLY CRAP...I was so intimidated by all the b44s and 8's haulin ass by me while I was watching. I had a rustler with the stock titan motor with me and I was so scared.. Took me a good 20 minutes to put my car on the track. But after I did I just drove and when I was near a big turn and fast guys were coming I would go way wide to let them go. Finally I got comfortable enough to race my own lines, I think the other guys knew I was new since I had a stock rustler with the stock body. Now I have. My b4 and I'm set haha that's my story or racing and how I got started
Exactly how I was. I was kind of afraid to put my stock slash on the track with all the fast vehicles out there. 2 years from then, and I'm now in those vehicles, and it's nice to see new people showing up with their vehicles and getting into it.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Most everyone at the track is super cool. Even if you dont know anybody your have a ton in common already. You love racing RC cars. Get another battery, or get a lipo soon. You want to get as much practice as possible in so show up early and run that battery dead and get it back on the charger.

If you dont have another battery, let whoever is running the track know when you get there. Most guys that race have extra stuff and finding a extra battery pack or finding another place for you to charge your batteries will be easy to find. SInce your running Nicd or Nimh you will probably be able to find a used battery for a fraction of the cost of new. It's really nice to always have one on the charger.

Get as much time on the track as possible, start out easy. Your focus should be to stay on your wheels and finishing laps. Find your lines and run a clean race, the speed will come with time. Get used to having traffic on the track. No matter how hard you try, starting out you will end up pushing harder when you get in traffic.

And for the record im 32, I had my first rc when I was nine and november was my first race. Ive been to 5 races and 2 practices and have logged as many hours racing as I can. Last saturday, my hands were still shaking and was nervous as hell. The adrenaline rush is awesome, its what makes racing....racing.

Dont worry about not knowing anyone, be friendly introduce yourself to as many people as possible. Check out their rides, and setup. Look at what tools they have and ask a ton of questions. It wont take long, and you should feel like part of the family.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

thanks guys...i bought 2 4500mAH batteries and i get like 30 mins or so out of them if i put it on a wall charger, but if i put it on my quick charger it lasts like 15-20 mins...i think that pretty long but the quick charger takes like 2 hours to charger...I'm still confused...
Old 01-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

what kind of charger do you have??
Old 01-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by godofcable
+1

2 hours isn't too quick. @ 4.2amps I fill my 4200mah lipo in around 45-50mins. And I mean putting 3500+mah back into the battery.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by godofcable
onyx 100 only paid $30 for it and i put a 3000mah 7-cell on it at 4 amps take 1 1/2 hours...put the 4500 and it takes like 2 hours or so...

i was thinking of returning my 4500 and buy 2 2s 5000mah lipos
heres a link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ZIPPY-5000mAh-2S...item2eb24e403d
Old 01-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by SloRacer1080
+1

2 hours isn't too quick. @ 4.2amps I fill my 4200mah lipo in around 45-50mins. And I mean putting 3500+mah back into the battery.
exactly what i mean man...what kind of charger do you have for your lipos?
Old 01-07-2011, 07:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I use a middle of the road setup as far as price is concerned, its a Hyperion EOS 0606i that goes for about $120ish. It can charge every battery type out there, has a store function and a discharge function and can balance a LiPo and charge at the same time. It can only charge up to 6 amps and can charge up to a 6 cell LiPo. Very nice charger.

I started racing February 2010 with my HPI Blitz RTR. I was 19 at the time.

Also, I would highly reccommend the LiPo route. The major thing I love about LiPo is the way they drive throughout the charge. Ever notice with the batteries you have now that the power steadily dwindles lower and lower as you drive? LiPo doesn't do that, it stays at full power. It stays at top level and just drops off very quickly when it needs charged, basically. It really helps on the track.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by wolf16731
I use a middle of the road setup as far as price is concerned, its a Hyperion EOS 0606i that goes for about $120ish. It can charge every battery type out there, has a store function and a discharge function and can balance a LiPo and charge at the same time. It can only charge up to 6 amps and can charge up to a 6 cell LiPo. Very nice charger.

I started racing February 2010 with my HPI Blitz RTR. I was 19 at the time.

Also, I would highly reccommend the LiPo route. The major thing I love about LiPo is the way they drive throughout the charge. Ever notice with the batteries you have now that the power steadily dwindles lower and lower as you drive? LiPo doesn't do that, it stays at full power. It stays at top level and just drops off very quickly when it needs charged, basically. It really helps on the track.
yeah i hate that its so annoying...but check out my link that i posted like 4 re;plies up..are those good batteries?
Old 01-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by AxBlunt-_FOrc3x
yeah i hate that its so annoying...but check out my link that i posted like 4 re;plies up..are those good batteries?
Yep, Zippy and Turnigy lipos are very popular these days. They're cheap and effective. I have a Zippy lipo and after a whole season of running it every single weekend, it's still kicking strong.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tyler350
Yep, Zippy and Turnigy lipos are very popular these days. They're cheap and effective. I have a Zippy lipo and after a whole season of running it every single weekend, it's still kicking strong.
yeah so its a good battery?
Old 01-07-2011, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by AxBlunt-_FOrc3x
yeah so its a good battery?
They've been great for me. Hobbyking.com is the distributor. I have seen many people, and heard of many people using them without any problems. So yes, I would say they're an excellent battery, considering the price.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Well first try to get to know the people there at the rack and associate conversations with them.

Try to watch the local pros and try to benefit off their racing skills.

And just be friendly and you will be fine.

ps There is ALWAYS money included in going to the track

GP
Old 01-07-2011, 08:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

There is a ton of information that your can absorb....unfortunatly some advise is worth listening to and some isnt. Dont be afraid to give some advise on stuff you've learned. The point is to learn as much as possible and pass it on....a couple races under your belt and some new guy is gonna show up that feels the same way you do. Pay it forward!

If your not marshalling or racing, pay close attention to the lines that the leaders are running, you can learn alot by paying close attention to how the fast guys race. Watch em all if you can and study. See how each car or truck handles, ask em about their setup if they are running what you are. Drag brake, brake, setup's, etc.

Everyone's driving style is different, but the fast guys are fast for a reason. Learn what you can when they are on the track.

KC
Old 01-07-2011, 08:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

has anyone recomended tires? because thats what you need, it makes a huge diference. you dont even need to be like some guys and change out your tires for fresh ones every few races. the stock tires suck, i mean i didn't think they where that bad on my slash 4x4 untill i put new ones on.

id recomend ither pl suberbs, or j concepts barcodes if your running on clay. but look at everyone else is useing buy that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.