Wiki Posts
Search

Ball Diff Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 05:53 AM
Tech Initiate

Exclamation Ball Diff Build

Hey guys!

Just completed my first build ever, a Blitz ese. Building a complete RC ruck from loose parts in tons of little bags was very rewarding! I'm hooked on building now, so relaxing too!

Anyway, the instruction manual was very well done. However, after looking on the internet for some info, I realized that everyone is applying diff lube to the ceramic ball bearings... If you follow the instructions, it tells you to apply the lube to both D-shaped discs on both sides but never mentions anything about lubing the bearing themselves. The fact that the bearing tray is actually sitting between the two discs, which have lube on them, will result in bearing getting lubricant from there, right?

The reason why I suspect it might be a mistake in the manual is that i discovered another "lubrication" issue. Page 36, when installing the drive shaft into diff outdrive, it instruct you to insert a sillicone o-ring and then the shaft. No mention of grease at all! I realized something was missing when looking at my son's rtr and observed black grease in there... If you look at page 50 (Drive Shaft Maintenance), it tells you to apply grease to the ends... They don't tell you to apply some in the first place!

Anyway, living in the Great White North, I won't be on the track for another +3 months, gonna have to build something else now

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 01-03-2011, 08:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I would apply some grease to the holes for the balls. The o-ring in the outdrive cup seems to cushion the drive shaft at full compression, no need for grease. this will only attract dirt and wear out the drive line quicker.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jmuck69
I would apply some grease to the holes for the balls. The o-ring in the outdrive cup seems to cushion the drive shaft at full compression, no need for grease. this will only attract dirt and wear out the drive line quicker.
What he said
Old 01-03-2011, 08:53 AM
Tech Initiate

Glad I asked before greasing my outdrives!
Wonder why they say to apply it only when doing maintenance...
Just might use a bit of Teflon based dry lube (O'Donnell) where the shaft pins come in contact with the outdrive to minimize friction/wear.

Thanks again. Man, I love this forum!