Wiki Posts
Search

noise on accell

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 09:45 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default noise on accell

i have a sc10 rtr, and i get a whine grind type noise on accell, this has been an on going issue, but i need it to go away. I have made it go away some by moving the pinion in or out a lil bit, and i have tried to change the play between the gears. Transmission was recently rebuilt with ball diff, but the problem was there prior to change. what should i do?????

Last edited by mfarr; 01-02-2011 at 10:10 AM. Reason: wording
Old 01-02-2011, 10:14 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Try tightening your ball diff up a bit. It should be 1/8 turn backed off from tight. You should be able to do this by pulling the ballcap off and taking out the dogbone. Not sure on the instructions on how clear they were but they were spelled out well in the FT instructions. I took apart my tranny and had that too loose. I had a similar noise...

Hope that helps
Old 01-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by hnasdad
Try tightening your ball diff up a bit. It should be 1/8 turn backed off from tight. You should be able to do this by pulling the ballcap off and taking out the dogbone. Not sure on the instructions on how clear they were but they were spelled out well in the FT instructions. I took apart my tranny and had that too loose. I had a similar noise...

Hope that helps
thank u, but the noise was there b4 the ball dif was installed, but i will still make sure it is set right.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:20 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

How long has it been since the slipper shaft,idler gear, diff gear, spur gear and/or pinion gear have been replaced? I had this same issue with mine, and replaced these parts and now its almost too quiet. If you look at the side profile of the gear, they will look pointy or star like if they are worn, and this will make a lot of noise...My son's SC10 is getting loud right now, and its prob time for replacement of some or all of the above.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:27 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by flame56mx
How long has it been since the slipper shaft,idler gear, diff gear, spur gear and/or pinion gear have been replaced? I had this same issue with mine, and replaced these parts and now its almost too quiet. If you look at the side profile of the gear, they will look pointy or star like if they are worn, and this will make a lot of noise...My son's SC10 is getting loud right now, and its prob time for replacement of some or all of the above.
i got the sc10 in semptember, and i run 1 maybe 2 x a week, sometimes more. i was thinking that these may be the cause, but was not sure. would they wear out this soon???? also my pinion gear r new, and its the only metal gear, so u may be right. i going to start with the spur
Old 01-25-2011, 05:07 AM
Tech Adept

Default fix

finally got a 17.5 combo for the truck, this forced me to change my gear ratio, now the noise is gone. for my 3300 reedy rtr set up i was using 16-18/87 my new set up is 26/75 and it is quite as a mouse. so im thinking it was more of the gears.