servo questions?

Old 12-29-2010, 06:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (97%+)
Default servo questions?

So in my elec buggy i am running a 4s lipo in my 1/8. i am looking to buy some digital servos.

question 1) does the servo have to be a HV servo? i havent found one that operates at the 14.8v that the battery puts out.

question 2) in my nitro buggy i am also looking for a digital servo that one can be just a normal servo if i am running just a 2100 hump pack for my rx?

i really dont understand all the elec stuff about servos and HV and brushless servos.

i was looking at this one for my elec buggy
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=9982

and this for my nitro
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=9441

let me know if these would work. im 90% the nitro one well but not sure about the elec one.

any help would be great
Old 12-29-2010, 07:14 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Your buggy esc sets the voltage going to the servos, look at the specs on the esc, they should tell you what the voltage is and how many amps are available. Its usually 6v and a few amps.

HV servos are intended for nitro setup where the rcvr batt has been changed to a 2S lipo - when a 2S is fully charged its 8.4v and that voltage can damage an ordinary 6v type servo. Some 6v servos can handle the higher voltage, others can't. So unless you're going to use a 2S lipo for an rcvr battery, you don't really need an HV servo.

Re-think the choice on the servo for your elect - nitro one looks ok.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Duster_360
Your buggy esc sets the voltage going to the servos, look at the specs on the esc, they should tell you what the voltage is and how many amps are available. Its usually 6v and a few amps.

HV servos are intended for nitro setup where the rcvr batt has been changed to a 2S lipo - when a 2S is fully charged its 8.4v and that voltage can damage an ordinary 6v type servo. Some 6v servos can handle the higher voltage, others can't. So unless you're going to use a 2S lipo for an rcvr battery, you don't really need an HV servo.

Re-think the choice on the servo for your elect - nitro one looks ok.
so i am using a mamba monster for my esc. is the one i want to use for nitro ok to use in the elec? if so that would be great
Old 12-29-2010, 08:24 PM
Tech Champion

I use Hitec 7955's. But faster 7950's or 7940's would be a better choice. I was running 8.4 volts to my servos when I ran nitro.

Most Esc's only put out 6ish volts.

Hopefully Tekin will have a program upgrade to thier Esc's that will allow us to adjust radio voltage. Not sure if Esc's are adjusting radio voltage, or if the have a simple resistor or something dropping the voltage.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:44 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The MMM internal BEC supplies ~6v and either 3 or 5amps to the servos. The HK servo you had picked for nitro should work with the MMM esc.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Duster_360
The MMM internal BEC supplies ~6v and either 3 or 5amps to the servos. The HK servo you had picked for nitro should work with the MMM esc.
great thanks