Wiki Posts
Search

Splice RC -- SC/Buggy/1/8th Scale 2WD mash-up

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 05:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default Splice RC -- SC/Buggy/1/8th Scale 2WD mash-up

This project started out of pure boredom, but I'm pretty happy how it turned out. It is literally a mash-up of parts from several different cars/manufacturers.

It started out life as a Losi Speed T, that I later converted to an Short Course truck by lengthening the chassis and narrowing the wheel base. My 7-year-old daughter tortured this poor soul for almost a year, and it has been down for repairs for at least 6 months with no hint of interest from me. I had robbed parts and peices from it during this time, so it needed more than just a clean-up.

This weekend I dug it out of the hole I threw it in and pondered over what I could make of it. I decided to make a buggy out of it, similar to the Koyosho DB pictured below. These perform so well on a 1/10th scale track because the are light and down parachute like regular SC trucks.

The parts list is as follows:

-- Losi Speed T roller.
-- Losi Desert Truck Transmission and Gear Diff.
-- Associated SC10 wheels and tires.
-- Associated stock brushed ESC and motor.
-- Traxxas steering servo.
-- Traxxas 2.4Ghz Radio and Receiver.
-- Anomynous donor for the shocks.
-- Hot Bodies rear body post.
-- Hot Bodies Rear Wing Mount and Wing.
-- Hot Bodies Ve8 body.
-- Caster Racing Rear Wing Posts.
-- Some custom aluminum bits for extending the chassis, and mounting the rear wing.
-- And I'm sure I'm missing some other small parts here and there...

Because of all of the various parts used to creat this, I'm calling it the Splice RC. It is definately a confused vehicle. Is it 1/10th scale SC or is it 1/8th scale 2WD buggy?

It is very light, and would surely be better with a brushless system, but that will have to wait. If it performs well, I may invest in it some more. I have some Blitz shocks on there way in the mail that were for another project, I may use these if the shocks on it don't work well. I have a feeling the ones I'm using now will leak severely because they were a mess when I started cleaning up the car for the build.

I'll stop blabbing and let you see the pics...

ben
Attached Thumbnails Splice RC -- SC/Buggy/1/8th Scale 2WD mash-up-dsc00578.jpg   Splice RC -- SC/Buggy/1/8th Scale 2WD mash-up-dsc00580.jpg   Splice RC -- SC/Buggy/1/8th Scale 2WD mash-up-dsc00582.jpg   Splice RC -- SC/Buggy/1/8th Scale 2WD mash-up-dsc00583.jpg  
Old 12-26-2010, 05:30 PM
Tech Master

The rest of the pics.

ben
Attached Thumbnails Splice RC -- SC/Buggy/1/8th Scale 2WD mash-up-dsc00585.jpg   Splice RC -- SC/Buggy/1/8th Scale 2WD mash-up-dsc00587.jpg  
Old 12-27-2010, 09:43 AM
Tech Master

Wow. 68 views and no replies.

ben
Old 12-27-2010, 10:21 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

nice work. the wing looks a little too big

the ve8 body fits nice also. The only other 1/8th 2wd buggy I have seen is the j82 kit from jconcepts. I have not seen one run in person. The Kyosho db looks good to go out of the box.

good job!
Old 12-27-2010, 10:34 AM
Tech Master

Yeah, the wing is big, but it is all I had for parts to use. I'll look around for a smaller one. The goal was to build this without spending any money, just using parts I had on hand.

The only thing i had to buy was some aluminum spacers for the wing, since I had mounted the mount a about 1/4" narrower than it was originally. You can see the spacers in the pic of the wing.

On the body, I just trimmed the excess off the sides to match the bottom of the chassis. I also used velcro on the sides of the body and chassis to help hold the body in place. The rear body post is about 1/8" too high, but it still works.

ben
Old 12-27-2010, 12:00 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Nice job, I especially like your simple but effective chassis extension. I'm seeing a pair of stadium truck tires on the rear and some of the new ribbed SC tires up front. With moderate power (it'd be easy to have too much) this thing could be a riot on an outdoor track.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Very cool. I'd love to see vids of that on the track!

Try Rc-Monster or UltimateRC for a little more enthusiasm on custom builds.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Davidka
Nice job, I especially like your simple but effective chassis extension. I'm seeing a pair of stadium truck tires on the rear and some of the new ribbed SC tires up front. With moderate power (it'd be easy to have too much) this thing could be a riot on an outdoor track.
I might give that a try, but I really didn't want a stadium truck kinda look. Maybe I get someone at the track to let me borrow a set for a lap or two and see how it feels and looks.

Originally Posted by Neu_Racer
Very cool. I'd love to see vids of that on the track!

Try Rc-Monster or UltimateRC for a little more enthusiasm on custom builds.
I'll try to get some video of it at the track. I'll post over in RC-Monster too.

Right now, motor temps are going to be my biggest enemy. Running on the street in front of my house, it was getting pretty hot after just 10 minutes of running. About half way into the test run temps were already at 140-150 on the endbell, then later at the end 180-190. The end of the rotor shaft was 200. I was using a 2S battery, and power and speed were good but it might be too much for the motor. The Speed T has a 88t spur, and I'm using a 17t pinion at the moment. I might have to try a smaller pinion at the compromise of losing some top speed.

This gearing was good when I was running a brushless system on this car, but brushed probably will require lower gearing.

ben
Old 01-12-2011, 09:00 AM
Tech Master

I finally got a chance to drive the buggy, but sorry, couldn't get a video.

I re-discovered just how bad the stock SC10 rubber is. At first I was thinking the buggy was a waste of time because it wasn't performing for crap. I couldn't hold a line or even accelerate without traction issues. After the track got some water, it was better, but still not good.

A neighbor in the pits (Slow Motion is his screen name here) let me use a set of wheels and tires from his spares. The fronts were Calibers, and the rears were Holeshots. Night and day better.

I need to now get some good rubber, and also add some weight in the front. This thing is just too light right now. Otherwise, I think it will work nicely. I've also got a Losi 810 wing on order. It is a bit smaller than the HB unit I'm using now, and will look more scale appropriate.

ben