Wiki Posts
Search

6s, better 30C or 45C ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 12:57 PM
Tech Adept

Default 6s, better 30C or 45C ?

Hi,

I am gonna buy 6s batteries for my new Tekin 1350 combo. I think that the answer may be useful for someone else beside me.

1) Assuming 6s run " cool " is there any benefit having 6s with 45C instead of 30C or it doesn't matter ?

2) Could it be worst to use 45C due to higher thermal output and ESC shocks with 6s or it is better 45C than 30C because it is rare to drain such a power for long time on a buggy ?

As usual, thanks in advance
Old 12-13-2010, 01:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If I remember the higher the C rating the more punch you get but less runtime.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I don't think you can ever go wrong with a higher C rating. That is just the current the battery is capable of supplying on a continuous basis. Shouldn't affect runtime at all - that only relates to mAH and draw. Better to have plenty of current capacity for your motor/esc to tap from.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:42 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TocSin
I don't think you can ever go wrong with a higher C rating. That is just the current the battery is capable of supplying on a continuous basis. Shouldn't affect runtime at all - that only relates to mAH and draw. Better to have plenty of current capacity for your motor/esc to tap from.
think about it.... if you are getting more amps from your pack, you are using more. therefore less runtime. just like a higher motor.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

With 5s and 6s, a higher C rating is not needed since you don't need to draw as many amps. In 1/8, you won't be able to use the extra punch most likely anyway. Higher C is better as it will be able to sustain the load on the pack better as it draws down the mah, but in general with 6s I don't think you are going to see a huge performance difference.

Lower voltage setups need higher C rated packs to compensate for the higher amp draw. So if you are running 2s and 3s, a higher C pack is better but as voltage increases, the C rating isn't as critical.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:53 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Edumakated
With 5s and 6s, a higher C rating is not needed since you don't need to draw as many amps. In 1/8, you won't be able to use the extra punch most likely anyway. Higher C is better as it will be able to sustain the load on the pack better as it draws down the mah, but in general with 6s I don't think you are going to see a huge performance difference.

Lower voltage setups need higher C rated packs to compensate for the higher amp draw. So if you are running 2s and 3s, a higher C pack is better but as voltage increases, the C rating isn't as critical.
I tend to agree with you, so the question now could be : if there is no noticable gain adopting 45C instead of 30C for example, could it be counter productive adopting 45C on a 6s or is it simply non influential ?
Old 12-13-2010, 01:53 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TocSin
You have a point as well.

I am puzzled now
Old 12-13-2010, 04:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

I don't think going to a higher C-rated pack can ever be counter-productive. In a perfect world, your battery would have a constant voltage that wouldn't drop no matter how high the load (amp draw) was. Effectively being infinite-C. Now obviously this isn't possible, but you want to be as close as you can to maintaining full voltage under load. Higher C-rated packs are supposed to provide that.

The other thing is though, C-rating is not regulated at all. Pack A rated for 20C might be just as capable as Pack B rated for 40C. It's pretty much turned into a game of who can have the highest values. You have to take it all with a grain of salt. Most packs are pretty overrated, and could never actually provide the current they are rated for.

When newer, higher rated cells hit the market I just take it to mean hopefully they have gotten a little better, as far as the chemistry in the pack and it's ability. Not that it can actually provide 250A constant.

And just as an example to note, I run a pair of 2S 5000mah 20C Turnigy packs in my Jammin buggy and they handle the load just fine. Voltage stays well within reasonable range, they don't get hot, and stay balanced quite well. So for your 6S setup you shouldn't need to worry about C-rating too much, as it's a more efficient setup already.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Emmeth
I tend to agree with you, so the question now could be : if there is no noticable gain adopting 45C instead of 30C for example, could it be counter productive adopting 45C on a 6s or is it simply non influential ?
High C packs are heavier because the plates within them are thicker in order to reduce their internal resistance. If you don't need the extra punch that high C packs deliver then you are just adding dead weight. Plus, high C packs tend to be quite a bit more expensive. If you are on a budget then your hard-earned dollars are probably better spent on other things.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default batts

I don't really pay attention to all the rules.. but my 6s setup which is a 30c compared to my 60c 4s setup. Different motors of course. My 6s is soo much better in every aspect. Longer runtime, practically cold temps, and crazy fast. tekin 1550 on 5&6s vs mmm2200 on 4s if your wondering. Have fun and enjoy not giving a crap about ROAR rules!