Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Offroad vs. Onroad.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 09:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Wink Offroad vs. Onroad.....

I'm sitting here thinking why do you guys prefer offroad then onroad my fiancé wanted to try a onroad car and I'm thinking to my self there is no jumps and just go round and round boring I started with a slash 2wd and worked up to a Losi 8 haven't ran it on a track yet Don't want to break any of the 1/10 scale cars.

Thanks

Last edited by dreamer1985; 12-13-2010 at 03:32 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

For me it was offroad was more challenging. IMO I got bored with onroad real quick. I like offroad cause the track can be challenging. It is really a personnel preference.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Tech Addict

On-road is all about smooth, clean, and fast racing. Since it is closed wheel it is much easier to get some side by side battles. It's all about mod TC... 3.5 or nothing.

I do a lot of off-road too so I can see both sides. Off-road is awesome too in my book.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Both are fun

Typically better head to head racing in on-road (especially circle track).

Off road is fun to find a fast lane and timing on jumps.

Setup, motor and type of car in on-road make a much bigger difference and can be frustrating when your racing people with 1-2k into there "hobby" (ie: 4wd sedan divisions can get crazy).
Old 12-12-2010, 10:41 PM
Tech Champion

Offroad overall is less complicated IMO. You can go fast with less money if your a good driver. To me it is also more fun: there are jumps. The cars are strong, especially in 1/8.

Onroad is more "serious" about the tires, setups, motor, driving skills etc.. The money you can throw in the hobby makes a bigger difference than in offroad I think. It's more technical also, everything is in the detail. A big plus is the side by side racing capabilities

A good in between are the Short Course Trucks: you can also race side by side and the tracks have cleaner lines. It looks very smooth and is a lot of fun. What's more they are "cheap" and the category is growing like no other

To sum up offroad is hip hop (rythm), when on road is classical music (technicity).

Never thought I would say something like that concerning rc cars
Old 12-12-2010, 11:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I recently got into on-road and love it. It's more technical and demands much more precision in car setup. Also the head to head racing is great, you really have to nail the corners perfectly to stay in position. Going to be racing indoor carpet off-road soon so I'm thinking that will be the best of both worlds, can't wait.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:13 PM
Tech Prophet

well, from a former onroad electric 4wd stock touring car racer its a lot of money and to much to keep up with and this was when.. there wasnt brushless systems and nicd and nimh battries and not to mention if you ask me there is a lot of cheating espially in stock tc.

and its to teste on the drivers stand and takes a fast reaction and speed .
theres a reason why onroad has died so much.

now, offroad i like a lot more its relexing and the drivers are more social if you ask me and it doesnt nearly cost as much as onroad racing and you can be competive without having the best equiment.

and not to mention the jumps are way funner and sliding also !

now, this is just from my expience from racing onroad now maybe at other onroad tracks drivers are more social and more relaxed and help you more.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:30 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tc5 man
well, from a former onroad electric 4wd stock touring car racer its a lot of money and to much to keep up with and this was when.. there wasnt brushless systems and nicd and nimh battries and not to mention if you ask me there is a lot of cheating espially in stock tc.

and its to teste on the drivers stand and takes a fast reaction and speed .
theres a reason why onroad has died so much.

now, offroad i like a lot more its relexing and the drivers are more social if you ask me and it doesnt nearly cost as much as onroad racing and you can be competive without having the best equiment.

and not to mention the jumps are way funner and sliding also !

now, this is just from my expience from racing onroad now maybe at other onroad tracks drivers are more social and more relaxed and help you more.
Its true about the social side. I used to run tc at a club as a guest, nearly to talking, no help and angry looks when as a newbie u hit a curb or worst of all touched their car on the track, probably killed their setup work of the last 20 hours. They all seemed so professional, cleaning every part after a 5 minute run, checking all settings on their laptops and so on.
Maybe a coincidence but the offroad peeps are totally relaxed, everybody helps each other and theres always a lot of discussing going on, and best of all when something crazy happens on the track its just laughing out loud!

The only thing i prefer in onroad was the overtaking coming out of wind shadow and so on, thats were the fun is in tc.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hoousi
Its true about the social side. I used to run tc at a club as a guest, nearly to talking, no help and angry looks when as a newbie u hit a curb or worst of all touched their car on the track, probably killed their setup work of the last 20 hours. They all seemed so professional, cleaning every part after a 5 minute run, checking all settings on their laptops and so on.
Maybe a coincidence but the offroad peeps are totally relaxed, everybody helps each other and theres always a lot of discussing going on, and best of all when something crazy happens on the track its just laughing out loud!

The only thing i prefer in onroad was the overtaking coming out of wind shadow and so on, thats were the fun is in tc.
+1 to this post and the the Pulse said. On-Road guys need to relax. That's one reason why I am taking a long break/retirement from On-Road
Old 12-13-2010, 01:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hoousi
what does that mean?
Old 12-13-2010, 01:23 AM
BOG
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

i def agree about the social side of things... I started with off road (seasonal here in NE) and when I had to pack away the truggy and buggy and to inside to out indoor off road track with mini revo and SCT i was watchin all the 2D or onroad guys. I like calling onroad 2 dimensional!! and so i tried it out about 2 months ago with a sprint 2 just to see if i liked it, now im hooked and really don't enjoy racing mini revo or SCT indoor and i just stick to onroad!!!

Onroad you get more professional atmosphere and offroad feels less professional but certainly not amateur

nice pink font, maybe you should stick with off road.... I keed I keed
Old 12-13-2010, 02:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hacker
what does that mean?
I think he means drafting a car then overtaking it.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BrodieMan
I think he means drafting a car then overtaking it.
I prefer bump drafting.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:54 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Growing up riding motocross, I was naturally drawn to off-road. but I have spent some time hangin out in the on-road pits to check it out, and it looks like fun but quite frankly I can't afford both. besides I just love playin in the dirt.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I just picked up a TC3 I'm going to run VTA at a new local track opening soon. I'm hoping this will help me with driving lines and hope it translates to off road. Not sure if that's going to be the case but here is to hoping!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.