Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How often do you balance your lipo's ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 11:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Balance

I balance every time, started with the ac\dc 606 which i just gave to my dad. I now use one with a graph function and I like it. I don't know if balancing helps, I do know that some cells are closer than others, and when there is more than 2 cells involved there is just to many reason not to balance charge.

Your money, you decide.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:29 PM
Tech Champion

..... It seems like a no brainer to me, but to each his own, it's your money...
.......Your money, you decide.
Yes and no. When a lipo bursts into flames, the smoke is both toxic and highly corrosive.

So it seems to me it’s not just their money involved, it can adversely impact my money (my equipment), and health even!
Old 12-11-2010, 11:36 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Never. I'm with Tony, if you use decent cells there's no need. I just got some cheap Turnigy 4s packs for 1/8 so I'll watch those.

Do your laptops balance charge?
Old 12-11-2010, 11:38 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Davidka
Never. I'm with Tony, if you use decent cells there's no need. I just got some cheap Turnigy 4s packs for 1/8 so I'll watch those.

Laptops balance charge? Absolutely!

Pop the battery out and take a look at the connector. It's built into the laptop.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:50 PM
Tech Adept

I think lipos come with the ability to be balanced so they should be, its not going to hurt them anyway
Old 12-12-2010, 01:18 AM
Tech Adept

I balance charge my lipo every time i use it with my dynamite pass port ultra charger and when I'm done with it for the day i store it at 3.75-3.78v per cell. I also try not to hit lipo cut-off i have mine set at 3.5 but i stop at 3.7 lowest i have gone is 3.68 my lipo says it can run down to 3.0v per cell but i think that's just way to low. Running down to 3.mid to high 7;s gives me 30 or more mins in my mmm 2200 4s in my Lst and about 15-20 on the track. Balance charging at a low amp helps to i balance charge at 4.0A when i bash and 2.0-2.5 when i hit the track and storage charge them at 1.0. Lower the charge amp the better the balance in my mind.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:38 AM
mof
Tech Adept

Every charge.

Here the rules say that during the national races, all lipos must be charged with a balancer (and in a Lipo bag), so at least during racing everyone balance charges, every time.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:59 AM
Tech Elite

Everytime I charge a lipo, I connect the balancer cable.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default 1 time per year

In the off-season when I'm bored , I check all my packs and if they need balanced I balance them perfectly. 50% are already balanced from the year before.

I use many different multiple packs together in series so it is very important that all cells are balanced (even within different packs) and once in a while I will plug one of those lipo checkers onto a pair of packs, but trouble is they are not very accurate.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:36 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dave H
Yes and no. When a lipo bursts into flames, the smoke is both toxic and highly corrosive.

So it seems to me it’s not just their money involved, it can adversely impact my money (my equipment), and health even!
So what are you going to say about the two packs I saw burst into flames over the summer in which both guys were using balance chargers?
Old 12-12-2010, 05:43 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Davidka

I'm not going to say to never balance them, but at the same time it seems as if people new to lipos are thinking it offers them some special protection when it really doesn't. I've been running lipos almost exclusively for going on 6 years now, and until last year didn't have a balance charger. I never had one catch on fire, but then I didn't use crap packs either. Just like any rechargable battery lipo packs will go bad over time, but balance charging isn't going to save them then either. When packs go bad, they go bad.

I find it really weird that people buy inexpensive packs, nimh or lipo, and find something to blame for a failure other than the cheap battery.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chunkyb
Because they don't need it, there's no viable benefit to doing so, and throwing away chargers just because they don't have balance taps just to buy the latest and greatest is a waste of money. Money some don't have to waste.
I never said anything about throwing away a good charger.
LiPo batteries have a balance lead and a blinky type balancer plugs right in, no need to buy a new charger. If you didn't have some money to waste, you wouldn't be playing with RC cars would ya... just sayin.

If it wasn't necessary to balance LiPo's, why do ALL manufacturers include balance ports or leads and recommend it?
Old 12-12-2010, 08:02 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by chunkyb
So what are you going to say about the two packs I saw burst into flames over the summer in which both guys were using balance chargers?
As you seem to be alluding to, lipos can indeed go off for a variety of reasons, and it is certainly a worthwhile reminder to be aware of all of the possibilities. Just as others have included lipo care tips in their comments.

I fully agree on not using substandard packs, or substandard balancing chargers for that matter. Some balancing chargers over the years have been noted to offer less than stellar balancing capabilities, there have been threads on how to recalibrate them and such.

But it is also clear that a good quality balancing charger will prevent overcharging a cell of a poor or deteriorating pack. At first charge time will increase as they do additional balancing, at some point they even refuse to charge. Will it prevent every lipo issue, no, but it will certainly help.

For the record I started with non balancing chargers many years ago as well, but I routinely checked voltages with a known (& rather inexpensive) meter to manage the additional risk as best I could. In addition to many other good lipo practices, not over discharging, storing and transporting properly, etc.

Again balancing chargers are not a complete solution, just a very useful part of it. At the risk of a little arrogance, perhaps especially for those not as up on the technology, or without access to the better equipment and fresh lipos.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 12-12-2010, 08:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

I like to balance every time I charge them. After race day, I ensure each one is balanced stored at appropriate voltage level. Seems to get the best performance and longevity from the battery.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:57 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Justin B
If it wasn't necessary to balance LiPo's, why do ALL manufacturers include balance ports or leads and recommend it?
They do NOW, but many of us ran lipos for years with no problems without the aid of a balance charger. How did we get by all those years?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.