Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Removing Impossible Screws! >

Removing Impossible Screws!

Removing Impossible Screws!

Old 08-21-2004, 09:55 PM
Tech Regular

if its a lost cause, and its just stuck like no other, first try holding an ice cube to the screw head. if all else get a set of easy outs and replacement screw heads. best 20 bucks youll ever spend.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:08 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by beetlebz
if its a lost cause, and its just stuck like no other, first try holding an ice cube to the screw head. if all else get a set of easy outs and replacement screw heads. best 20 bucks youll ever spend.
An Icecube, eh? What exactly does this do?
Old 08-22-2004, 08:49 PM
Tech Regular

ever heard of freeze fit aircraft parts? theres a real name for it i forget. basically you freeze the screw, which makes it shrink ever so slightly. helps it come out a little easier.

they use it in the aircraft industry too. if you have two parts that need to be fitted very tightly together, they freeze one, slide it into place, and it wont budge when it returns to room temperature.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:12 PM
Tech Master

Ahhh Yes, my dad was just telling me about that a few weeks ago! He works on the Navy Base out here, so I know what you're talking about.

Thanks, I'll give it a try!
-jeff
Old 08-22-2004, 09:55 PM
Tech Regular

ill be honest ive never tried it, but ive used it on my 1:1 and it works well enough
Old 08-23-2004, 02:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Err these are RC's not 1/1 cars, and cryofitting (involves cryogenically freezing and fitting parts together) is generally used to put parts together rather than to split them apart.

Come on, the best solution (by a large amount) is to simply put the slot in them with the dremel, and flathead them out.... it's not that hard is it? how did it go from that to putting ice cubes on the screws?

And for whoever suggested the drill bit designed to remove screws, i've seen it in action and it rarely works. Well I thought it was stupid anyway, had a lot more luck with simply cutting the slot into the screw.

If all else fails, drilling the head off always works for me too.

Trust me I know, because i'm a real expert when it comes to stripping screws, so it's a given i've tried every trick in the book for getting them out.
-uDi